Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carburetor Detail

this is some 30 year old work...I have since decided to do the throttle cable a different way because the current configuration is just wrong, however, there are primary and secondary throttle plate levers, throttle cabling with spring and fuel connections in addition to boring out the main and secondary air passages ( can't really call them venturi since I didn't add the venturi assemblies).

IMG_3269-1.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

The carburetors on the Revell's '50 Olds. They're just painted with Revell's silver (Number 91) and then I installed some Photo Etch parts by Scale Dreams and linkages are from metal wire.

DSCN5495.jpg

DSCN5499.jpg

Revell's '62 Impala carburetors. Painted with mixture of dirty thinner and Humbrol's Clear Orange. Details are made from sheet aluminium and metal wire.

DSCN0263.jpg

Jo-Han Plymouth Barracuda Dominators. Golden areas are painted with regular Humbrol gold paint and the chrome has some flat clear over it. Fuel line fittings are made from six-rounded Plastic Tubing, Photo Etch parts are from the Scale Dreams and rest of the details are just regular copper wire. Also the throats are drilled open, and I added nozzles there.

11b78641-e619-4c3f-bc00-3435313d2171.jpg

aa0e5c27-f786-4039-8b85-f7eadded443d.jpg

Those are just some examples of what I do for my carburetors. There might be better and more realistic ways to do this, but I hope you still find this helpful. :)

These aren't finished yet but they are as simple as it gets.. Carburetors are the ones supplied in the 55 Jukebox Sportsman model.. First I got a fine tip brush and painted the inner bowls "Flat black", then I painted the whole carburetor "Steel" Then I rolled a Q-tip around the inner edge of the "silver" paint container and then rolled the Q-Tip across the top of the carb only coloring the raised areas around the top of the carburetor as well as the floats... Next I plan to paint the Metering blocks a "zinc" or "Goldish" color as well as plumb it.. just wanted to post this to show how simple it can really be to add detail to a nicely molded piece..

015_zps0fc45a16.jpg

These aren't finished yet but they are as simple as it gets.. Carburetors are the ones supplied in the 55 Jukebox Sportsman model.. First I got a fine tip brush and painted the inner bowls "Flat black", then I painted the whole carburetor "Steel" Then I rolled a Q-tip around the inner edge of the "silver" paint container and then rolled the Q-Tip across the top of the carb only coloring the raised areas around the top of the carburetor as well as the floats... Next I plan to paint the Metering blocks a "zinc" or "Goldish" color as well as plumb it.. just wanted to post this to show how simple it can really be to add detail to a nicely molded piece..

015_zps0fc45a16.jpg

Here they are again. Added the gold to the metering block area and man what a difference :).. Next is running the fuel lines ;)

015_zps9e8cda54.jpg