Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Plymouth Fury, Update, 6/6, Finished!

StevenGuthmiller

• 3 weeks later...

I am making slow progress on this build.

The body is mostly polished & nearly ready for foiling, & I have a start on the interior.

Thought I'd post a couple of pics to show the masking & painting process I'm using.

The '59 Plymouth Fury had a plaid patterned interior. A little bit much for me to replicate. The stripes are bad enough! :blink:

It's time consuming, but part of the joy of building! :)

Steve

DSCN4108_zps1bqs5l2o.jpg

Thanks guys.

I'm guessing the masking process has taken me about an hour to an hour & a half per seat.

I'm hoping to have the other half done sometime this evening.

That'll be the bulk of the interior work. At least the tough part.

Finished up polishing the body last night as well, & I hope to be shooting some Alclad on the aluminum side panels today.

If I can get all that done, I can start foiling the body, & get a start on the interior detailing in the evenings this week.

Steve

DSCN4109_zpsqmqfhgg8.jpg

O.M.G.

That looks amazing.

Many years ago I read to use the plastic screen ,material to replicate something like this . the story was you mask off the main porstions you dont want painted. spray the screenmareril till its just damp. . Lay it on the area you want to paint,and using light dust coats spray it to the color you want the final result to be.

Once dry just lift the screen material off and vioala,,, a checker board pattern emerges.

Thats what I plan to do when I build this

O.M.G.

That looks amazing.

Many years ago I read to use the plastic screen ,material to replicate something like this . the story was you mask off the main porstions you dont want painted. spray the screenmareril till its just damp. . Lay it on the area you want to paint,and using light dust coats spray it to the color you want the final result to be.

Once dry just lift the screen material off and vioala,,, a checker board pattern emerges.

Thanks Bill.

I've thought about trying the same technique with different materials. I just haven't tried it yet.

I always thought a piece of an old pair of pantyhose stretched over the area to paint might work.

I've also thought about pantyhose material stretched over a rear package shelf & painted might give a nice textured affect to an otherwise boring shelf.

Now I just need to talk my wife out of some of her hosiery! :lol:

Steve

O.M.G.

That looks amazing.

That Kellner Hispano had this kind of canework:

alquiler-coche-a--os-30--ford-hispano-su

It was a paste, meticulously and painstakingly applied by hand with a tube.

Here is a sample:

cannage.jpg

Thanks guys!

I managed to get the other front seat done this afternoon.

One more back seat & the drivers side door panels & I can breath again!

Seriously, my back can't take another hour leaning over a work bench!! :wacko:

Steve

Oh how I know that feeling with the back issue Steve. Been there myself these past few weeks lol. Nice work on it though. You know what they say... No Pain No Gain lmao.. that isn't supposed to apply to us modelers though darn it.

Steve, I worked out an easier way to do upholstery pattern a few years ago that would have worked pretty good on this one for you.

Simply put a piece of fine screen against a sheet of clear decal paper and spray it with your color and apply it as a regular decal after it dries.

150_5012-vi.jpg

Steve, I worked out an easier way to do upholstery pattern a few years ago that would have worked pretty good on this one for you.

Simply put a piece of fine screen against a sheet of clear decal paper and spray it with your color and apply it as a regular decal after it dries.

150_5012-vi.jpg

Believe it or not Steve, I had thought of that too. As a matter of fact, I spent a half hour or so searching around my garage for some screen that I knew I had at one time.

I was going to use it on a build a year ago or so.

I never did find it.

I'm planning on a '61 Ford Starliner build soon that I'd like to do a diamond pattern on the seats that something like that might work for.

It's going to be one of my very few mild custom builds. :)

Steve

O-M-G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And here I thought I was THEE only "insame" modeler... that interior blows me away!

I LOVE how ya sat and taped it all off Steve! -WOW......

BUT then to see the screen work done on decal paper is BRILLIANT!!!!! (I MAY have to attempt this in the future!)

NICE job on the body too. that paint job looks GREAT!