Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interior paint question

Hey guys... I am doing a build based on a friends 1:1 car and was wondering in terms of interior paint, what types of finished are people liking these days for things like plastic interior trim panels, dash boards, and leather? I mean in terms of semi-gloss, gloss, flat etc.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Mike

Since I don't know what your friend's interior looks like, I can only suggest that if you are trying to replicate a vinyl finish on seats, door panels & dashboard that you use either a semi-gloss paint, or, if you use a flat paint, after the paint is dry, rub your face with your fingers and then rub the painted parts to transfer some of the oils from your skin to the paint. This will give the flat paints a bit of a sheen which will kinda look like vinyl.

For plastic panels I would suggest clear coating after painting. For leather, I'd use Model Master leather paint.

A general rule is that interiors are usually NOT very shiny, so try to stay away from high gloss paints.

Don't forget to flock the rugs, or, use the new stuff... embossing powder (which I actually haven't tried yet).

Its a 1994 Trans Am with Black leather interior. I figured to stay away from glossy paints but flat paint looks too dull as things like the dash, door panels, and leather seats have a minor sheen to them. Most definitely going to flock the carpet... first time doing it so this should be interesting. LOL

You might consider checking out the paint selection at your local auto parts store, particularly the Duplicolor line. They have a line of vinyl interiro paints for resoring/refinishing vinyl interior parts that works very well on styrene. It comes in several colors, inclusing 2 different blacks. The sheen of these paints will get you the correct look for vinyl or leather interior.

Now I'm wondering if semi gloss black is going to be too shiny for leather seats and plastic dash / center console and what not. Hmmmmmm...

Yes, it is. I suggest you go one step duller (if that makes sense), instead of too glossy. There are very few things in an interior which are super glossy, save for wood steering wheels and trimwork/inserts and a dash pad which has had a heavy dousing with Armor All. :D Vinyl does have a slight sheen, but it's rarely what I would call "shiny", leather even less so.

You can always use clear gloss and clear dull coatings to alter the sheens, too, and even intermix them to get the exact sheen you desire.

Yeah I think semi gloss black will be too shiny but was afraid that the matte clear would just make it flat. LOL I am aiming for a Firebird interior and most of the door panels, console, and dash are plastic and have a sheen to them but not gloss black and not flat. Might have to try to ton down the semi gloss with a matte clear. The seats... theyre leather so not so sure if I could just hit it with more matte clear to dull it more.

I like the idea of interior trim paint but am worried about using it.

Spray some of the interior paint on the backside or underside of the parts you plan to paint (backs of door panels, etc.), then do some tests with various clearcoats, making a note of what you used when you find something you like.

I have had some luck with Tamiya paints. You could start with the gloss black TS-14. Then overspray this with their semi-gloss TS-79 or the flat clear TS-80. They also have a simigloss black TS-29 or a matt black TS-6. Try some of these on scraps spruce to see how they look to you. This is a lot of paint to buy, but it can be used on many chassis and such. As Richard mentioned the carpet can add a lot to the look of the interior. Some times you can spray from a longer than normal distance to get a textured look. With any interior it will look more convincing if the finish changes with the different 1:1 panels in your friends car.

Yeah I think semi gloss black will be too shiny but was afraid that the matte clear would just make it flat. LOL I am aiming for a Firebird interior and most of the door panels, console, and dash are plastic and have a sheen to them but not gloss black and not flat. Might have to try to ton down the semi gloss with a matte clear. The seats... theyre leather so not so sure if I could just hit it with more matte clear to dull it more.

I like the idea of interior trim paint but am worried about using it.

You can also flatten semi-gloss black by adding a bit of flat (matte) black to it. Just be sure that it's the same brand of paint as your semi-gloss.

Art

To make things look more realistic, don't go as glossy as they appear in reality. I know it sounds contradictory, but I find that if I go with the intended gloss, it ends up looking more "toy-like".

One thing to try is paint the seats using flat black, then rub your fingers over them to add skin oil. This may be just the right amount of sheen they need. If not, Acryl semi-gloss clear does a good job of adding a subtle sheen to flat painted surfaces. That's what I used on these seats.

469738_234233623348357_2027772069_o.jpg477947_234237530014633_1000573246_o.jpg

Edited by sbk

To make things look more realistic, don't go as glossy as they appear in reality. I know it sounds contradictory, but I find that if I go with the intended sgloss, it ends up looking more "toy-like".

One thing to try is paint the seats using flat black, then rub your fingers over them to add skin oil. This may be just the right amount of sheen they need. If not, Acryl semi-gloss clear does a good job of adding a subtle sheen to flat painted surfaces. That's what I used on these seats.

477947_234237530014633_1000573246_o.jpg

Capturing the right sheen for a given surface is essential for a realistic appearance. Steve, your work here just goes to show how much a well done interior can enhance the appearance of a model.

Couple questions:

1) What's the secret to making the piping adhere to the seat without messing up the paint?

2) What paint did you use on the dash?

Thanks. The piping is 32 ga. bead wire brush painted with the same craft store acrylic paint as the seat inserts.I attached it to the seats with spots of superglue on the underside of the wire. After it was glued down, I sprayed the whole seat with Acryl semi-gloss clear. That helped to hide any glossy spots from the superglue on the seats.

The paint on the dash is HOK copper pearl with a few coats of HOK Kandy Root Beer on top, followed by Dupont clear lacquer.

The knobs were my attempt to replicate laminated dash knobs that were popular in early '50's customs. I superglued layers of .005" transparent orange, .010" white & .010" clear plastic in layers & then shaped each knob using files, sanding & polishing. 4 layers of orange, 2 layers of white, & one layer of clear in the middle. I dipped the knobs in Future to add the final gloss.

557679_221989491239437_401612900_n.jpg

Check out this link to see a few more photos. https://www.facebook...36448460&type=3

To make things look more realistic, don't go as glossy as they appear in reality. I know it sounds contradictory, but I find that if I go with the intended gloss, it ends up looking more "toy-like".

469738_234233623348357_2027772069_o.jpg477947_234237530014633_1000573246_o.jpg

Thats the sheen I want on the leather seats. Perfect. Now I need to go a slight bight shinier on the plastic dash, door panels, and center console. Did you use primer on that interior first?

Southpier, I found some of the plastic sheets at a local RC hobby store. They sell the sheets individually. Before realizing that there was a place locally, I had ordered some online. In that case, you have to buy a pack of 4 sheets. The sheets are made by a company called Midwest Products. https://www.midwestp...9d-efaf5b1ca690

Johnny Racer, yes, I primed everything before painting.The reddish-brown on the seats & door panels is Tamiya NATO brown, which is very flat. I kept shooting light coats of semi-gloss clear until it had the look I wanted. I could have gotten more gloss by adding more coats, or mixing in a bit of gloss clear to the semi-gloss.