Model Cars Magazine Forum

10.5 radial Build (1979 Mustang GT)

RadialDragon

Body Color  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should i do?

• 1 color, Solid metallic Red
    • 2 colors, Metallic red with a DSG( Dark Shadow Grey) bottom

Hello guys, this will be my first "documented" build on this site and first actual build in a long time. The project I am tackling in the AMT 1979 Mustang "Pace Car" model that I have. this model was already built when I got it. Not by anyone I know and it has no sentimental value to me.. However I have wanted to build a Radial drag car out of a "four eyed" mustang for some time and even though I wish this was a Notch back or coupe it is not and the hatch back version will just have to do.. Things that are certain about this build is that the Coil over shocks, Disc brakes, ignition and battery stuff will all be scratch built. This car will also have a set of my radial drag tires on it. Also the power plant will be the Ford engine out of the 55 Ford jukebox ( Race prepped 429 CI powerplant) Car will also have a 4 link set up from that kit as well or one very similar.. First thing I am going to tackle is stripping the paint down and turning this T-Top car into a solid roof coupe.. Then I'll get into building the Tube chassis for the car.. The Poll is for the color combo. I plan to trim the windows the way they are in black. However I'm not sure on if I want to go with a two tone paint or a single solid 1 color car.. Planning to do the car in a nice Metallic Red. The two tone if I decide to do it will be from the side molding down.. Here is my Idea for the 2 Tone..

10847900584_50a05d0ee3.jpg
FM4_2tone frnt by Dick-Dastardly, on Flickr

Here is the Car again with just the red..

10848082863_1130d8215e.jpg
FM4_1 by Dick-Dastardly, on Flickr

Thanks guys and stay tuned I plan to document this build pretty good. It may be slow going though at least till Friday as some of my parts wont be in till then.. Here are some pics of the cars current state..

016_zps907d43ea.jpg

017_zps0e916828.jpg

015_zpsed715278.jpg

018_zps1d39a626.jpg

014_zps2e3f1ef1.jpg

Tires I plan to use.. Scale wise they are between 10.5 and 11" wide..

019_zpsabb22879.jpg

Edited by RadialDragon

As I write this the chrome plated parts for this build as well as the body for this car are being stripped in CSC (Castrol Super Clean). Should have pics of the stripped parts tomorrow..

Also haven't decided on a set of rims yet for this build.. I'll have to look around and see what I have..

Nice project! I like these Drag Radial Race Cars, and I bet this will be a really nice build when finished. I think this color is really good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoT6-_1JuzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZAXx2guZP4

The car runs in Street here in Finland. It has Small Block Ford with Pro Charger... B)

Great Post ! car moves out pretty good B)

Edited by RadialDragon

OK so cleaned all the paint off with Superclean, But when I was scrubbing off the paint (Wasn't scrubbing hard) The front windshield supports Top and left side broke clean off. I was being gentle but I guess with the body being as old as it is it became brittle over the years. Plus the previous builder used gobs of glue and that may have weakened it further... Sooooo. Not wanting to deal with rebuilding the front window frame I am shelfing that project for now. however I am still doing all the same things but with a different body. New body is a 1969 Mustang.. Stay tuned for pics..

Cool project Dennis. If you really want to do a notch body, send me a PM. I can cast one up for you.

Will Do !! :)

Here is some of what I did today. had some company come over so didn't make a lot of progress... Should get quite a bit done tomorrow though :).. please let me know what you think.. Yes the carbs will be plumbed..

Here is the duel Carburetor set up sitting on the intake.. Colors on the carburetor is Black, Steel and silver.. The intake is Aluminum.. They are not done, I am still going to paint the Metering blocks to make it pop a little more.. Thinking a goldish color or whatever color I can find that matches the carbs I have seen IRL.. Also still need to do some touch up/second coat on the intake manifold.. this was just for photo's for progress of the thread ;)

015_zps0fc45a16.jpg

Edited by RadialDragon

Made some progress today.. Would have gotten more done if my order of .062 rod had came in on Friday.. Untill I get that I will have no chassis :(.. Anyway, here are some pictures of the engine in its current state. Still need to run the Distributor wires and of course the fuel lines and etc once it is in the car.. Enjoy and let me know what you think.. Colors used are Flat black (Carb Bowls), Steel (Carb Body), Aluminum (Transmission, Intake), Silver (Motor Plate, Carb Accents, Heads), gold (Carb Metering blocks) Ford Engine Light Blue (Engine Block)

015_zps9e8cda54.jpg

This is the 429 Based Big Block from the 1955 Ford Jukebox Ford. Comments about this engine.. This is probably the best detailed engine I have seen in a long while in a model Kit. Not only that but everything fits up very nicely. Usually the heads and intake manifold don't fit together in a believable manner but on this engine they do and I like that a lot.. The ONLY gripe I have about this kit is that even though there are 2 different intake manifolds to distinguish from Ford and Chevy (See Tyrone's 90 Mustang build for the chevy intake). The only thing that differentiates them is the intake runner positions. The Distributor is in the back on both of the intakes and the Ford distributor should be in the front on this motor... Other than that this motor is worth buying the kit for... So far I am very happy with it..