Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome turned gold - Tamiya clear orange

I while back there was a fella that had done a real nice job turning his chrome gold by applying a coat of wood stain.

Has anyone tried this? Airbrush? What shade had the best results? I'm wanting to turn the kit chrome on the Revell 49 Merc gold or maybe even a brass color. Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Edited by Jantrix

There are two way to accomplish this...

1: Bare Metal Foil Gold Leaf - best looking "gold chrome" you can find.

2: The Detailer - Yellow - allows you to gauge how "gold" you want to make your chrome.

http://thedetailer.net/

Since Detailer is a wash it can be brushed on until you achieve the level of gold you're looking for, whereas the gold leaf BMF is all one color.

I can't think of any wood "stains" that would do what you describe. However, some of the dyes used for coloring wood might work. Most of these can be used to tint lacquer, so a dye mixed with a clear lacquer and shot with an airbrush might work. I don't know how lacquer would react with chrome, tho. Another thought, how about the Tamiya transparent colors? Perhaps a mix of yellow and amber sprayed very thin? These aren't answers, just possibilities.

Edited by basher

Or you could just use this:

318-MC202.jpg

$5.99 a can and it will last you awhile. Dip the kit chrome in Future first to protect it just in case. The Metalcast paint is enamel, so it shouldn't damage the parts but I would suggest cutting some spare chrome sprue from the kit you're using and test it on that (1 time without using Future, and 1 time with coating in Future to make sure it won't affect the part or chrome finish). I've used this stuff in blue (I did use Future) and it came out great. After using the color and letting it dry/cure for a few days I dipped it in Future again and it looks perfect (nice and glossy).

Edited by MB_ChargerChick

For small parts, yellow Sharpie. I don't have hobby stores close to get all the tinted clears, etc a lot of people use. I have found Sharpies great for yellow and orange turn signals, red taillights, taillight blue dots, Chevy bowties, touchups on black in inconspicuous areas, and for a number of other reasons. There was a Revell 49 Merc on here a while back that had the yellow sharpie trick on one of the "teeth" in the grille and it looked great.

Edited by Skydime

• 2 weeks later...