Model Cars Magazine Forum

making a bit more progress, I think I need to get the chassis going while I wait on some styrene (I ordered triangle to put inside the corners so I can round them off).

got some of the rear panel roughed in, and rub rails on the inside, I'll probably mount thin wood strips to these like the older U-Hauls.

Untitled-1_zpsa8nsa8lc.jpg

DSC00136_zpss0csgkxe.jpg

• Like 1

Dumb question (I admit I did NOT read the whole thread) BUT what was the scale length you used to make the box? The lower half of it fron just behind the cab, to the rear?

See, I ask, as I have a similar build too, BUT mine isn't a U-Haul, Mine is a work truck with a long Utility bed. NOT the standard 8 foot bed, so.. As I don't believe a long utility bed (Reading bed) is made for 1/25th scale, and i can't justify the cost of 2 of the smaller ones to make on bed from. SO I'm gonna do exactly what your doing here, scratch building my own! I am however trying to figure out what the length and even the width needs to be so I can draw it out and then use the drawing as a template.

Thanks any info, and guidance on your measurements and what you used to go by for such, would be GREAT!

Nice set of drawings.I'm sure these will help a lot of builders get their own"hauler"started.What is the floor material?Please specify the maker if it's available in sheet form and if possible their stock or part number.Thanks for sharing your information with us.

Edited by misterNNL

I used these dimensions to help, I did scale it out in illustrator to get all the other dimensions I needed too

4965A643-58EC-4A11-A10C-1E238AF72625_zps

Thanks for that! What might be the measure used for one scale inch or one scale foot? 1 MM = one inch? 12MM to the foot?

It's best to work those out to inches and then divide by 24 or 25

Well I myself, get into a LOT of scratch building, and I'm trying to figure out what 1:1 scale measurement fraction of an inch or Metric measurement is equal to use as a 1/24th scale foot or inch or a 1/25th scale foot or inch.....

I haven't seen a ruler to depict either to date so..... I'm doing the best I can to figure out what I need to make 1/25th scale "foot" and 1/24th scale foot as well, as they are really close the same!

Any help with this I'd appreciate!