Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Squareback

miatamadman

Maisto has the fastback listed also but no release date. I'm sure it's not far behind. I'm keeping my eyes out for that one. The squareback comes in 4 different colors. Two of them being two tone.

Once I got the powder coated finish off the engraving on the body really popped out! I'm going to be painting this one a light metalic blue.

The fastback may be out; I saw it listed on collectablediecast.com. I'm waiting to see if the squareback/fastback get offered w/the stock wheels like the notchback; my Dad had a '66 Type 3 fastback I'd like to recreate in scale, and I also like the squareback. Just not into the "bling" wheels and details. The Jada fastback looks good, but it's about 1/22 scale.

Made some progress on the Squareback. Once I had the paint stripped, I tightened up the door and hood gaps with styrene strips and superglue. After priming and blocking, the low spots were filled and reprimed. I then decided to grind off the out of scale welting between the panels and scribe in new panel lines. I also went ahead and enlarged the front door window openings so that they were more in scale. I then shot some more etching primer and then some grey primer. The final color coat is a Duplicolor metalic blue with clear. Last night I started applying the graphics to the body.

Edited by miatamadman

funny you posted this! i have a '73 squareback sitting in my driveway. the car is my mom's "other car". its all original.

i have been thinking about buying it and doing some heavy work on it. i have been wondering where i could find a model of it

and now i know.

what scale is this? i wonder if it could be cast in resin?

• 1 month later...

The fastback may be out; I saw it listed on collectablediecast.com. I'm waiting to see if the squareback/fastback get offered w/the stock wheels like the notchback; my Dad had a '66 Type 3 fastback I'd like to recreate in scale, and I also like the squareback. Just not into the "bling" wheels and details. The Jada fastback looks good, but it's about 1/22 scale.

Hi, Bob! Thanks for the lead on the Fastback. (thought I was gonna hafta scratch-build one!)

When I had my shop (CA) my young wife had a red '69 Fastback, which was squirrelly in the wind...

We did lots of VW "Calif Bugs" then, so I dropped the front of the Fastback 4", 1.45X15 tires, and widened the rear steel wheels 1.5", and fitted them with 2.25-70X15 tires, (red rims/black tires, small VW caps) She built the 1776 engine from cases, did her own headwork.

The car was notably raked, rear tires filled the rear wells like a cartoon caricature! Wife Joey drove it like that for some time, then drilled the rims and added screw-on Moon Discs. What a Looker!

(er, the car, too!)

She sold the car in '90, (had it 10 years!) and now has a BMW Coupe, 633csi: lowered, Halibrand Sprints...but Misses Her Fastback!

As we are now building models of every car we ever had, (!) she will be delighted to hear this one can be had.