Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another semi grail found

Hello,

I just received by mail one of those semi grail kits that for some reason, eludes you for a while. I may be in the minority, but I usually prefer coupes over convertibles. This is no exception. While the Daytona convertible is a cool car, I prefer the more serious look of the coupe. This is the Italeri kit in a Testors box from 1990. A quick glance show a mint kit and the wire wheels are very nice.

There is some magic about front mounted V12 engines.....

DSCF6835b.jpg

DSCF6836b.jpg

Here is a local one I've seen at shows:

DSCF0083b.jpg

Two more and I'll be done buying prancing horses for the street: A 250 GTO and a 599 Fiorano. :D yeah right....

Thanks,

I remember seeing a blue one when I was in High School. I was in an Exotic car showroom, and it was in the shop. Until I stepped back from it I didn't realize I was looking at one of my all time favorites. I built a yellow Fujimi kit of this car, and I still have 3 more to go (2 spyders, and 1 more coupe from Fujimi). A red Spyder is in my future plans.

I have been considering purchasing the Fujimi 365 kit, is the Testors/Italeri kit better???

If you buy the Fujimi kit, get set to spend a LOT of time building it! It's not a super difficult kit, but one that requires a LOT of patience to see it through. I swear it seems Fujimi included every nut and bolt with that kit...................some of the things you'll put together won't even be seen once it's all done.

I built the Daytona Spyder back around '87 or '88 (Don't know what happened to it) and it was definitely considered state of the art back when it was new.

Even more fiddly are their Porsche 356 kits! If patience is not a virtue with you...................I say go for the Testors/Italeri kit. :D

Even more fiddly are their Porsche 356 kits! If patience is not a virtue with you...................I say go for the Testors/Italeri kit. :D

I agree, I had a B/C coupe and a B/C cabriolet and the level of detail, id say if was bought today would be skill level 4! just the fact that the lug nut studs poked through holes on each rim and would not be seen when the hubcap went on was cool right there!

>just the fact that the lug nut studs poked through holes on each rim and would not be seen when the hubcap went on

>was cool

right but this car was meant to be used with their garage kits with the idea you could build it in all states of assembly...including the totally cool engine stand in which to display the partially assembled motor complete with exposed crankshaft and pistons!

and about the brakes, yeah the lug studs are cool...but how about the FULLY DETAILED brake shoe business that gets completely hidden if you put on the exquisite finned brake drums!

now THATS what i call an enthusiasts kit.

does the ferrari that began this thread have anywhere near that level of detail? ive never seen another kit that has...

ps: i bought a case of the fujimi 356 boxed in the ###### testors box, just for the parts and possibilities, that quad cam motor is the real stuff!

The Fujimi enthusiast kit is in a class by itself. It is also hard to find and way more expensive. It is almost unfair to compare it with this one. The problem with the Fujimi is that it is so complex that many modelers end up giving up interest and putting it away. Like Bill said, not that it is hard to build, but it takes so long to build and a lot of effort goes into things you'll never see. Like the name implies, you have to be very enthusiastic to finish it. It is definitely the way to go if this car subject is really really important to you. But if you just want a decent shelf model of the car, that can be built rather easily, the Testors/Italeri is not a bad kit. That's my particular case. It can actually be finished within my lifetime B). I believe Revell Germany will reissue it if they haven't done so already.

One Fujimi enthusiast kit I have and plan to build someday is the Lambo Countach LP5000S. The quintesential dream car of teenagers of the 80's (like me). It has over 240 parts and I'm sure I can add a few more ;)

Thanks,

But if you just want a decent shelf model of the car, that can be built rather easily, the Testors/Italeri is not a bad kit. That's my particular case. It can actually be finished within my lifetime B).

That's the reason I have this same kit instead of the Fujimi! Much simpler, and IIRC the price was dirt cheap. I do get tempted every now and then to get the Fujimi EM kit, but I always let it slide. I'm not a fan of overly-complex kits that are very time-consuming to assembly properly. I bought a Fujimi EM (Testors box) BMW 635 (only 5 bucks) and was astonished at it's ridiculous parts count, and a good deal of sub-par parts quality. I compared it to my Tamiya kit of the same subject, and instantly realized I'd far prefer building the much simpler, yet superbly engineered and molded Tamiya kit. I then gave the Fujimi one away. I just didn't have it in be to labor that much over that particular model.

Oh, I've seen one or two of those EM Countaches. You'll be happy to know that some of the most complex assembly and parts get covered up by bodywork ;)

I'm dying to build my Fujimi EM Porsche 356's, and some of you guys are scaring me about it's complexity :o Makes me wonder if I should get another one to build w/o painting or parts detailing simply to learn where I can spend my time, where I can take shortcuts, and what parts need the most massaging prior to assembly.

Yes Izzy, it will be the chassis # 15373, yellow Ecurie Franchorchamps entry of Derek Bell / Teddy Pillette / Richard Bond for the 1972 LeMans race. I think it finished 8th overall, and 4th in GT class.

ferrari15373a.jpg

This is an HRM transkit for the Fujimi kit. The body is cast very thin (but very nice), and is prone to warping. Italeri actually did one of the Competizione Coupe cars, but it doesn't show up often...I've seen one on that auction place in the last two years.

I have a FUjimi ES Spyder kit that is being used as a donor for this:

365tires-3.jpg

365tires-2.jpg

This should be an interesting build, no? :rolleyes:

For those that are wondering, that is the Harold Bradford HRM transkit. It is no longer in production due to the massive warp they would have. The body that I sent Brian was badly mis-shapen. He put the interios and glass to it and let it work itself out. Looks like it has done pretty good.

Nic