Model Cars Magazine Forum

tire scuffing tool

Mike's Scale Speed Shop out of Wisconson had one for sale at the NNL Nationals in October....to be chucked into a power drill...

I wonder if that's the same person I got mine from years ago at the NAMCC convention in Chicago; it's the only place I've ever seen one available for sale. Mine chucks into a drill, w/a separate piece that's screwed into place & holds the outer part of the tire-which isn't always needed if the tire fits snugly to the main part of the tool. It's one of my favorite tools, it makes the tire scuffing/mold line removal simple and painless.

A number of years ago I read a "how-to" article on how to make a similar tool. so I did!. It is a 1/4 bolt with several washers and nuts. I've done the sandpaper TV thing too. But I like this tool.

That's the ticket. I've given that tip (as I am sure plenty of other hobbyists have) to lots of folks. It's even featured on our web site, among some other simple building tips: http://www.freewebs.com/cpmcc/modelingtips.htm

If I had (I did at one time, don't anymore...long painful story...) a machine shop, I would go the extra mile and tailor tool size to common tire sizes, but a bolt, nut and washers does the trick nicely. The advantage over the sandpaper/knee/TV method (which I confess I still use on occasion) is that the "turning" method renders a more even/consistent surface with less effort. Besides, guys should use power tools whenever possible, no matter how small the job, and as God intended.

One way to make the tool "to size" would be to use a series of progressively sized pieces of tube (brass, plastic, aluminum) as collars that fit over each other until you take some of the slop out of difference between the tire i.d. and the bolt o.d.

There is also the cheap way also. Take a socket out of your toolbox that fits the inner diameter of the tire and chuck it up in your handy cordless drill (with adaptor of course). Then get the sandpaper or file board out and start spinning. I use this for all my Nascar builds and have always got an even scuff. Plus I always lose the washers and etc. to build the other tool with! LOL!!