Model Cars Magazine Forum

Universal Jeep CJ-5...

This looks very nice :)

I'm guessing this kit is the same that they also released as the Daisy Duke Jeep?

Kinda sorta. This particular kit was the first version of the CJ-5 (IIRC) and came with several options not seen in this kit since it's original issue including a half cab, push bumper, snow plow and V-6 engine.

The Daisy Duke kit is not entirely correct as the the Jeep in the show was a CJ-7, not the CJ-5.

Nice start on the kit, I have had this one in my stash for close to 15 years, have hesitated to build it because I have wanted to resin cast some of the parts to build multiples. I like the updated undercarriage for the snow plow, you have nailed the look correctly! I am going to speculate that you will be fixing the clumsy looking pump assembly as well, what about the lights?

I'll be watching, just might get me to start on mine!

Off to a good start, very interesting..

Thank you Carl! :)

This looks very nice :)

I'm guessing this kit is the same that they also released as the Daisy Duke Jeep?

It is slightly different. This kit has a V6 engine (Dauntless), so on the side of the fenders there is wrote Jeep and under it the V6 logo. Plus you have a soft top, half cab (with opening doors), snow plow, wide wheels (for the Dune Buggy) and stock tires, for the stock tires you can chose two kind of wheels, steel rims or chrome. Thank you Gaute! :)

Kinda sorta. This particular kit was the first version of the CJ-5 (IIRC) and came with several options not seen in this kit since it's original issue including a half cab, push bumper, snow plow and V-6 engine.

The Daisy Duke kit is not entirely correct as the the Jeep in the show was a CJ-7, not the CJ-5.

Nice start on the kit, I have had this one in my stash for close to 15 years, have hesitated to build it because I have wanted to resin cast some of the parts to build multiples. I like the updated undercarriage for the snow plow, you have nailed the look correctly! I am going to speculate that you will be fixing the clumsy looking pump assembly as well, what about the lights?

I'll be watching, just might get me to start on mine!

Thank you Mike! :) It is kind of a shame that they used a CJ-5 on the Dasy kit, also because they had the CJ-7 to use... The blade on the kit is not to bad, I think I will use it. What lights are you talking?

I loved the 1/2 cab version as a kid....would be great to have another one to use of the Daisy Duke jeep...if your not going to use yours let me know... :)

I'm building the snow plow version, and I think to use the half cab. Sorry...

Thank you Mike! :) . The blade on the kit is not to bad, I think I will use it. What lights are you talking?

The kit does not have any lights for the snow plow setup, those are the ones I was referring to.

Growing up there was an Amoco (Standard, actually) gas station that had a Jeep like this, except they had a 4 cylinder, with the half cab and snow plow setup. The mounting for the plow lift was similar to this kit as there was a hydraulic pump driven by the engine that supplied the power to move the plow up and down and angled left and right. Because of the push bumper, the Jeep didn't have any plow lights, just used the regular head lights from the Jeep as the plow didn't raise very high. There was a Union 76 station across the street with a similar Jeep, same plow and half cab.

I am going to explore resin casting this half cab, if for no other reason than I have a couple of Daisy kits that I would like to use them on. There was a resin caster offering this half cab years ago but I haven't seen them around in 10 years.

Beautiful job, sir. Did you make the steering linkage rom metal?

Thank you Chip! :) Yes it is metal, I think it is more strong than use plastic.

The kit does not have any lights for the snow plow setup, those are the ones I was referring to.

Growing up there was an Amoco (Standard, actually) gas station that had a Jeep like this, except they had a 4 cylinder, with the half cab and snow plow setup. The mounting for the plow lift was similar to this kit as there was a hydraulic pump driven by the engine that supplied the power to move the plow up and down and angled left and right. Because of the push bumper, the Jeep didn't have any plow lights, just used the regular head lights from the Jeep as the plow didn't raise very high. There was a Union 76 station across the street with a similar Jeep, same plow and half cab.

I am going to explore resin casting this half cab, if for no other reason than I have a couple of Daisy kits that I would like to use them on. There was a resin caster offering this half cab years ago but I haven't seen them around in 10 years.

Meyer snow plow did not have the light on the snow plow. I think they were added a the end of the 60's. So I don't think to put them on mine. Were I grew up, there was a Jeep Willys, ex-WWII, with snow plow, I don't remember the brand.

The half cab on the kit is similar to the Meyer one, but the roof and door hinges are different, I think they made so for a easy assembly. Also there was different brand that make half cab or a full hard top with different configuration. Also Jeep sold its own cab/hardtop.

There is a lot of nice work going on here! Keep on posting these updates, they are appreciated.

Thank you John! I will update soon. :)

there was an ancient Jeep with snow plow on it near my old house in New Jersey. It had a home made wooden cab on it.

Cool! The one in my town, had the frame of the cab in wood, the outside part was metal.

More update.

The dashboard cleaned from the steering column support. I will remake a new one.

10887173_909036032464444_475018508369018

Decided to make a open glove box door...

10922384_909036039131110_344041567264021

10915688_909036045797776_126909664980745

10911416_909036042464443_459309797626902

I will remake the hood hinges too. Here the stock one.

10931058_909036072464440_410702422811089

Looking very nice! Should be a beauty when you are done.

Thank you Mike! :)

More progress...

Snow chain, I don't know how many links flew around the room... But I was able to make 4 snow chains.

10887112_909838745717506_145151997948312

One snow chain on the tire, it fit pretty good.

10903868_909838752384172_386875274180286

All four tires. What a pain... :D

10926328_909839022384145_817470790794861

Chassis painted.

10712653_909839032384144_413773308248739

Rolling chassis.

10900037_909839025717478_731703074399828