Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch building a classic muscle car.

fractalign

P7080006_zps8c62de81.jpgThe other task was to add the rocker panel, to do this a 2mm thick a strip of styrene was added at the bottom. The window area has been marked for removal. This will be a tricky task but its necessary because I will need to have the window area exactly the same for the other side. Once i have removed this area, I can use this side as a template for the other side to trace in the window area.

Edited by fractalign

After using the angle grinder along top and bottom edges, a few hard taps with the with the mallet at either end knocked out the

piece.

P7090015_zpsf589fffe.jpg few hard taps with a mallet finished the job on the front and rear pillars.

Edited by fractalign

Next task is the channels. I took a template from the leading edge of the of the 1:1 door to check the contour. Anyway on the right of side which is actually the top of the door there is a quarter round channel the runs from the cowl all the way up to there rear drip rail.

P7090017_zps7be88220.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The last shot shows how the channel will look when attached. The image in the background shows a full size door skin, this is how the channel should look in mine, once its finished. Next task will be getting the channel attached.

P7090020_zpsc4bf0e83.jpg

Hey Guys.

I got a little bit more done tonight. The main thing was installing the channel, I realised this would have to be in two stages because the taper along the side where the door meets the quarter panel is the same as the taper on the edge.

P7110022_zps528ce3db.jpg

I also did a bit of work on the door frames. These had me stumped for days but in the end I decided to use two lengths of half round, one 1mm and the other 2mm. The 2mm pace was turned around with the flat side facing out. The 1mm piece was then glued into it with the round side facing out.

These were then cut to the length of the B pillar.

P7110023_zps299a8151.jpg

I realised that the roof area was still too thick for the pillar to fit so the final task for the night was to cut the excess area.

Here is the result, the windscreen frame was tidied up as well. Next task now that i have cleaned up the inside of the the front part of the roof area will be to repeat this process with the other side. P7110025_zps557a2d34.jpg

With the roof on the first side refined enough, the next task was to peg and glue the other side in place. The other side was sanded down to match the roof contour of the first side. Both need to be mirror images. With the two halves still glued in place I began work on cutting out the window area as well.

P7110029_zps1280dd66.jpg

Robert, this is a massive undertaking, but it looks like you've got a great plan so far, I feel like my stuff is pretty tame compared to something like this, I've got a long way to go before I try to scratch build a body like you and Jeremy Jon are doing!

Hey Mike.

You might be surprised to find my modelling skills are pretty average. As far as undertakings go you only have to look at what other guys have put up over the years to get ideas for a scratch built project. If you look at what these have done, you might pick it up faster than you think.