Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch building a classic muscle car.

fractalign

The final task for the night was to fit the unit inside the body to see what gaps needed filling. I then took it out and filled in the areas before putting it back in. I made sure to wet it so that the putty did not stick to it. The next task will be to work on this area in preparation for the gutter rails and once that is done to move onto the other side and finish off the other window and door frames.

P8053079.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Hey Guys.

After finishing the drivers side window frames, I decided to get the passenger side ones up to speed. The first thing I did was line up the quarter window frame, making sure it was the same angle as the driver's side one before gluing it into place. The next thing was to glue the door frame and the window frame together like the drivers side unit. I still need to add the inner frame to the the passenger side window frame but this will be a lot easer with the two parts glued together.

P8063080.jpg

Since the driver's side body half is the one that leads to how the other side will look, I turned my attention to reshaping the roof and A pillar. The roof at the front was sanded down to get it looking lower. The A pillar was bevelled. I will be adding the gutter rail from this point. The material i will be using for this will be the same as material I have been using to make up in side of the window frames.

P8063085.jpg

Edited by fractalign

On the inside I have attached the b pillar. This makes up the first part of the surround that will allow the door frame to sit flush inside the body, I will also be doing the same for the window frame. The surround that runs from the A pillar will also house the windscreen. To make up this surround I will be cutting down piece of 2mm sheet styrene to 1mm by 1mm and then cutting it in two for each A pillar.

P8063090.jpg

Edited by fractalign

One last image. Here is one is one as a street machine/ drag car. Speaking of which, I will be going to the Street Machine Nationals on the weekend so I can expect to see a lot of cool ones like this one. This one is actually an LC Torana which is the one that preceded the LJ. The LC had a steel grill and different twilight and headlight surrounds.

ToranaDragCar-1.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Hey Guys.

Continuing on from last night, I started work on the window surrounds around the door. The first step was to cut a couple of 1mm by 1mm strips. These are for the A pillars. As well as holding the door frame in place they will also hold the windscreen in place. The windscreen will be going in from the front just like a 1:1 car.

P8073098.jpg

The other body half has more or less been over looked until now. With the driver's side half up to speed, I turned my attention to this side. The first task was to make sure the frame sat flush with the strip. The next task was to bevel down the A pillar in preparation for the quarter round channel. You will notice the gap between the top of the door and the bottom of the frame P8073104.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Here is how it looks sitting place. Still a little rough, the upper edge needs to come down at least 0.8millimetre or so for the frame to sit on top. This was real tricky to attach so once glued in, I left it to dry.

P8073109.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The final task for the night was to finish off the surrounding on the driver's side door frame. With the strip on the A pillar sitting firmly in place, I cut another 1mm by 1mm strip to sit between the A pillar and B pillar. Here is how its looking. The next task will be to to do the same to the other side and then move to the surrounds for the side windows.

P8073112.jpg

Hey Guys.

Another update, not much done because i have been pre occupied with a build on the big rigs on the work bench forum. Anyway tonight I turned my attention to the passenger side and the first task was to sand down the quarter round channel for the frame to fit.

P8093132.jpg

The final image shows how the frame sits inside the body. A lot of cleaning up to do but the frame does sit flush inside body. Next task will be to continue to work on this side until its neat enough to add the drip rail and do the same on the other side.

P8093138.jpg

Here it is sitting in place. I am not sure I want to run these rails as they are a little thin so I have decided to to a break from the body for a while and move onto something else. When I have decided what thickness the rails will be I will order some more strips and attach them.

P8103176.jpg