Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting build! The colors really work for me. As they are what I used to use on most of my Gator Trucking models before I moved to the Philippines.

I will be changing colors now because of the paint that is available here. But Jim is right. That color combo is most often associated with Roadway!

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

See what i read is the single drive 359 was a 259, so yeah CONFUSING! Or MAYBE JUST MAYBE, I just might be quite blind. I went and rechecked my reference. Man I MUST have been tired and I corrected it.

Painted alcoa's, fleet truck so the chrome didn't work for it. I really didn't feel like doing the aluminum look. I've seen plenty of trucks(at least around here) with painted alcoa's, so my excuse is, it's a company that takes pride in their colors and wanted to increase fuel mileage so they bought alcoa's and painted them. That and it's different.

I suppose it could also be someone's personal rig too. Doesn't have to be fleet. I needed the extra set of drive wheels, and I don't like to drop 40 bucks on a kit, just for a couple of parts, seems like a waste(growing up poor and living that way), so I said what the heck lets do a single drive and do something different. No real plans, just making it up as I go along. If I had thought about roadway being orange and blue I might have done it before I painted it like I did. Could be a what if. I want one of those little Freightliner kits to do an actual roadway with the roadway decals I have.

I wish there were a bigger selection of truck kits, as there are alot of them from the truckstop I would like to replicate. Specifically the truck stop I worked at we had a contract with a few companies that their drivers never had to touch their rigs if they pulled in. We fueled them, we washed their windows, checked their oil and other fluids and topped them up as needed. The ones I remember most were Yellow Freight, and Batesville Casket Company. I THINK we also did Roadway as well. I swear I remember tipping forward some blue hoods. Come to think of it, not all of the Roadways had blue hoods, just most. The roadways and the Yellow's were DIRTY, and leaked, and were basically kept at the minimum level of maintenance to be roadworthy. The batesville trucks though, that's another story. They were ALWAYS clean and shiny, and VERY well kept. Though I do admit to some macabre creepiness when they pulled in. Most other trucks would NOT pull into a stall next to them, they would wait in line behind another rig first.

Ok well I'll get off my tangent here.

For those who might ask I worked at Burns Brothers in Troutdale Oregon, the one that is now a TA. When it was announced it was bought by TA, most of us left. Somewhere I still have one of my Burns Bros uniform shirts with my name on it. Wouldn't fit me anymore probably, but it's something I plan to keep.

Edited by fantacmet

Looks like a fantastic little project....Interesting tidbit of information on the truck stop you used to work at.....That might be a little eerie to have to wait behind a truckload of caskets.....Remember....If it got there at all, it came on a truck....That means caskets, too....LOL

Edited by kilrathy10

True true. Hoping here early next month I'll be shipping off for training. Despite having to pay my own transpo and lodging for a week or two, looks like overall Knight is STILL going to take less startup dough due to the amount they pay during training(range), and the per mile they pay OTR with trainer.

Nice build so far.

As for painted 10-holes - I've seen that - in person and photos.

For the colors - add a blue or white stripe and say it's a Gulf Oil tractor.

Tim

Here's a quick guide to the Peterbilt model numbers of old for conventionals (359/358/359/353)

Wide-front tilt hood - available in 3 hood lengths 113" BBC fiberglass, 119" aluminum or fiberglass, 127" aluminum - 113 and 119 available as a set-back axle.

359 tandem drive. 289 single drive

Narrow-front tilt hood - available in 119" BBC length in aluminum or fiberglass

358 tandem drive. 288 single drive

Narrow-front butterfly hood - available in 117, 119, 123 and 127 aluminum. 123" available as a set-back axle with flat fenders

351 tandem drive. 281 single drive

Wide-front butterfly hood - 117 aluminum and 123" BBC lengths. Set-forward and set-back with flat fenders.

353 tandem drive. 253 single drive.

After around '77 they dropped the tandem/single drive model numbers and everything became the wide-front's model number.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Tim. I may do that Gulf Oil thing. I'll look it up.

Clayton, I hope so too, or I just found out they are also running Pete's too just not alot of them. I just hope I don't end up with a Volvo. I guess a FL wouldn't be too bad but, from what I've seen the fleet freightilners are pretty much garbage.

Though I think the Pete's are in refrigerated, which runs out of Idaho. Dry Van runs out of Portland here. I just talked to them today and got the initial stuff of the paperwork done. I scored 93% on my practice test for general and 100% on the airbrake practice test.

That's right. Well, I kinda does but doesnt. What I do, how I get paid, the lighter the truck, the more make. Obviously the heavier, the less. But still, when your a company driver, it doesn't much matter. Sometimes you can lucky and find a smaller company, with a cool owner that'll take care of you. I kinda had that. I took care of the truck, he let me have creative freedom with it and his money. But I had to run "creative". I was blinded by the chrome for years, then I put the sunglasses on.

I figured to use the Pete one, seems more appropriate for a fleet truck. Maybe I'll put some Canuckistan decals on it. How about it any of my Canadian allies, got any trucks that look similar to this or idea's? The rebel one is going to end up on my wrecker eventually when I build that sucker. My secret project I was thinking of using the rebel on is going to be VERY different.

Thanks for the kind words on this one. I usually don't fair so well when building anything other than show style stuff. So we'll see how this eventually turns out.