Model Cars Magazine Forum

This Is National Tudor Sedan Month, Isn't It?

Lyle Willits

3-vi.jpg

Using the corrected Ardun from the reissued Revell '50 Ford pickup. Cut apart 3 Strombergs from an AMT '36 Ford kit. Stacks are polished aluminum tubing. Over the frame headers will be from the Phanotm Vickie kit.

004-vi.jpg

Still have to add the carb linkages.

005-vi.jpg

Chopped this one. The paint is Duplicolor GM Slate Grey. It AIN'T a rat rod 'cause it's shiney! (Still not polished out yet.)

006-vi.jpg

Wheels & caps from the Revell '50 Ford. Trim rings are Bare Metal Foil. Tires are from The Modelhaus.

009-vi.jpg

I usually don't go too long without woodgraing something.

011-vi.jpg

That's all for now.

Edited by Lyle Willits

Well, Lyle, I guess that I fit into the "older guy" crowd, too. I never got use to "sick" meaning that it was well liked until I started watching American Chopper, so I'll just say that it's way too cool!!

I can't tell from the pics...did you make or buy machined pulleys for that one?

Regards,

I love it! It's so hot it's cool, so cool it's hot! The wood grain is the most realistic I have ever seen! By the way, which re-release of the '50 ford p.u. had the corrected Ardun heads? Iwouldn't want to get the wrong kit.... ;):P

The new reissue. It was released about 3-4 weeks ago. I'm not at home, so I can't look at the box. Just check the Revell web site.

hey Lyle did you buy a case of these sedans :unsure:

Just 3 kits - turned one into a more accurate sedan delivery body for Norm. I'll probably buy 3 more tomorrow from Ron Bradley. Since '96, I've had at least 40-45 of these Revell deuce kits. This is the 21st. build and many kits have been used for parts on other rods.

3-vi.jpg

Using the corrected Ardun from the reissued Revell '50 Ford pickup. Cut apart 3 Strombergs from an AMT '36 Ford kit. Stacks are polished aluminum tubing. Over the frame headers will be from the Phanotm Vickie kit.

004-vi.jpg

Still have to add the carb linkages.

005-vi.jpg

Chopped this one. The paint is Duplicolor GM Slate Grey. It AIN'T a rat rod 'cause it's shiney! (Still not polished out yet.)

006-vi.jpg

Wheels & caps from the Revell '50 Ford. Trim rings are Bare Metal Foil. Tires are from The Modelhaus.

009-vi.jpg

I usually don't go too long without woodgraing something.

011-vi.jpg

That's all for now.

Hello Lyle, I am fairly new to customizing models and was wondering how you do the wood grain. Awesome work that you do and would appreciate any help.

Thank you, John

Just 3 kits - turned one into a more accurate sedan delivery body for Norm. I'll probably buy 3 more tomorrow from Ron Bradley. Since '96, I've had at least 40-45 of these Revell deuce kits. This is the 21st. build and many kits have been used for parts on other rods.

No wonder revell thinks that these are great sellers you have bought 50% of the kits sent to the east coast.

Hello Lyle, I am fairly new to customizing models and was wondering how you do the wood grain. Awesome work that you do and would appreciate any help.

Thank you, John

I'm always happy to share any little thing I know about modeling with others, but here's the problem with woodgraining - you can't just TELL somebody how to do it. You have to SHOW them.

I can say that wood is not brown. Wood is yellow with various other colors in the grain.

Start by painting the piece yellow or light tan. After this base color has dried, randomly brush in the grain patterns using light browns, redish-browns, etc. etc.

If you have older issues of Scale Auto, look for issue # 104 ( I THINK) Tim Powers did an article on how he does woodgraining. I taught Irv Arter how to do it and he has a FOTKI album on woodgraining. He doesn't explain it with words but the pictures may help.

http://public.fotki.com/IrvinArterJr/irvin...agon/page3.html

Edited by Lyle Willits