Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Ed Martin Ford Galaxie 500...Curtis Turner's ride

curt raitz

With "Cars from 1963" being the theme for next years NNL West, I picked up the AMT "Millennium" 1963 Ford Galaxie kit for a good price from eBay.

Having no idea what to build...the kit does have some fairly scary custom parts (not interested) went searching the web for some ideas.

Came across the 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 Curtis Turner raced for Ed Martin.

What was cool about Curtis Turner is the fact NASCAR threw him out because he tried to form a drivers union. He went on to race the car with USAC.

Here is a photo of the restored car:

tumblr_kpnfivuOUq1qzsctzo1_500-vi.jpg

I have a few questions that maybe can be answered by members of this forum...The only red listed on the Ford paint chart for 1963 is "Rangoon Red".

My first question is:

Is Rangoon Red the correct color for this car?

Second question is:

If so,what would be the closest color match in the model car paint world to Rangoon Red? i.e. Model Master, Tamiya, Duplicolor, Plastikote, etc.

My buddy Jameston at Scalefinishes is temporarely shut down so I can't get "Rangoon Red " from him.

Third question is:

Did they run Firestone or Goodyear tires?

I've getting a set of both, plus four Holman & Moody 10" wheels and race interior tub from Southern Motorsports.

Decals are on the way from Pattos.

should be hitting the workbench fairly soon... :P

thanx in advance for any input you may have...

Rangoon Red seems more orange than that. that car is probably not painted in any stock Ford color. i imagine that most dealership sponsored cars were painted in the dealership body shop if they were so equipped, and matching color codes was the least worry on their minds. that'll make a cool build nonetheless; looking forward to seeing your progress.

Rangoon Red seems more orange than that. that car is probably not painted in any stock Ford color. i imagine that most dealership sponsored cars were painted in the dealership body shop if they were so equipped, and matching color codes was the least worry on their minds. that'll make a cool build nonetheless; looking forward to seeing your progress.

thanx, i kinda figured that was the case...

should be fun

oh-yeah...I like your name B)

his treatment by Nascar was, in effect, Bill France showing ALL of the current drivers who RAN the show. "don't rock the boat and don't ask questions" was the rule of the day, and Turner wasn't the guy to put up with that! love those interior shots of the 1:1, btw... a stock Galaxie bucket seat and still has door panels..... stock meant STOCK in them days.

In my opinion, the Rangoon Red looks correct and it does have a hint of Orange. It was also a very popular Factory color for the 1955 Chevrolet and should be readily available thru MCW or a host of other sources. The car would have ran Firestone tires typical for the times.

Edited by Keesee

can someone inform me as to what this is...

FR1cm5lciBkZXRhaWxzIDAwOC5qcGc-vi.jpg

it is placed on the car on both sides as shown below...

63Fordleftrear-vi.jpg

neither of the decal sheets i have received include it...

won't be hard to duplicate, just curious as to what it is

thanx

Edited by curt raitz

Guest Johnny

Go to Randy Ayers site and post your question in the section titled The Dark Side. Those guys will have your answers as they have guys that were there back then!

Could be it isn't Rangoon Red but Poppy Red.

Beware as that can be a subject of great discussion over there too! :lol:

Go to Randy Ayers site and post your question in the section titled The Dark Side. Those guys will have your answers as they have guys that were there back then!

Could be it isn't Rangoon Red but Poppy Red.

Beware as that can be a subject of great discussion over there too! :lol:

who's Randy Ayers and do you have a link to his site?

I have found Randy Ayers and his website/forum...thank you B)

Edited by curt raitz

• 3 weeks later...

found out this is a hand painted logo for "Old Crow" whiskey. Not identified as such, because even in 1963 hard alcohol sponsorship was not allowed in racing.

BirdLogo-vi.jpg

I did find a paint color, which is purty darn close to the color used on the replica car in photos

Duplicolor Ford Cardinal Red:

63fordcurtisturner_g-vi.jpg

body painted, chrome stripped from bumpers, re-chromed with alclad, etc...

63fordcurtisturner_a-vi.jpg

interior...

63fordcurtisturner_b-vi.jpg

63fordcurtisturner_c-vi.jpg

wheels and tires...

63fordcurtisturner_f-vi.jpg

engine...

63fordcurtisturner_d-vi.jpg

63fordcurtisturner_e-vi.jpg

gettin' ready to lay down decals and final asembly...

thanx for lookin'...

• 2 weeks later...