Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dad's going to kill me.

ranma

Rember when you drove your Dad's car then this happened?

post-8577-0-74762200-1409834487_thumb.jp When it happened to me, the car I was driving My Dad's car was a 78 Caprice Classic 2dr. I'd just about got across the street when I was hit on the passenger rear Quarter panel .

comments on the model and If you wrecked your dad's car are welcome

Been there, too- Dad's car was a '74 Gran Torino wagon. He just got it back after having the driver's fender, etc, repaired after someone hit it. Of course, I took it out while on a "three-day pass" and crunched the same fender when I hit another car (can you say "stupid"?). I think my parents had that car for all of two months at that time.

When I was at school, in the 6th form and aged 18 I had a friend called Michel Eccleston whose dad was in the motor trade. While Mike was still a learner Mr Eccleston lent us his 4.2 ltr XJ6 to go to Silverstone for the F1 qualifying. That was great, but that evening on the way home I pulled away from the lights at a T-junction a bit quickly, lost the back end (I still blame the power steering which had no feel for what the front wheels were doing) and went sideways over the kerb and hit a low wall - outside our school as it happened. Pushed the sill and rear valence in and wrecked the nearside rear wheel...

A few months later after all was forgiven Mike and I accompanied his dad to a car rally. Mike drove his dad's Model T Ford Tourer from about 1920. It had no self centering on the steering and all went well until Mike lost concentration late in the day and veered off the road and hit a telegraph pole, which bent the front wing and pushed the axle back on one side... Luckily we hadn't been going all that fast.

We sort of lost touch after that.

Great model, good story btw!

Edited by DonW

That picture brings back some memories. I was just a young kid and my brother who just got his license got to drive my parents '60 Impala station wagon to school. Well being the person he is, he skipped school went for a road trip scored some beer then had a head on accident which left the front of the car looking just like your model. My Dad was not happy *, he pulled the 283 engine and traded it for a l-head Jeep engine. Car was never fixed - it became filler for a washout on an irrigation ditch. Still had the wheels and hubcaps on it. :(

* I was not allowed to get my drivers license until I was 18 thanks to him :angry:

Hey, I totaled my mom's '75 Mercury Monarch. Thankfully it was not my fault. I was driving up to my folks lake cabin when I was rear ended by a drunk kid. Needless to say, I did not get to the cabin by the time I was suppose to. My mom was mad. She told my dad, "That's the last time I'm letting him (meaning me) borrow the Mercury." Needless to say, that was the last she borrowed me the Mercury! But, when she found out what happened, she wasn't mad at me at all. And I was allowed to drive her cars again in the future. In fact, after my dad died, she'd ask me a lot to drive her places using her car. As I got older, she felt I was the safest driver in the family. Even before dad died, she preferred me behind the wheel.

Scott

I was lucky ... when I got my license my Dad had a '65 Ford Galaxy. It was probably the worst handling car I have ever been in. I drove it once just to go to a store and almost turned back .. I thought it was going to roll over on a gentle curve at 25 mph .. and I learned to drive on his VW Bus! I never did drive it again, so I was spared mashing a fender.

my parents were on a 2 week vacation, dad left the 56 chevy in the garage..3 on the tree...i was rocking it back and forth in the garage and my foot slipped of f the clutch and i drove through the rear of the garage!!! when they got back my dad just shook his head!!!! I bad. I was 14 my brother 17

Edited by Paul Bunyan

I can remember my buddy and I had his Mom's Vw bug on a snowy curve ..... slid across the road and hit a 2 week old Pontiac tempest ..... course the first thing I think is .... is everyone ok he and I were and when the driver of the tempest got out she was a little person ........under 4 foot tall ..... I asked her if she was ok which she replied she was ... and then she said something I'll never forget ....she said " for a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH little bug you sure pack a hell of a punch ": !!!!!!

I can remember my buddy and I had his Mom's Vw bug on a snowy curve ..... slid across the road and hit a 2 week old Pontiac tempest ..... course the first thing I think is .... is everyone ok he and I were and when the driver of the tempest got out she was a little person ........under 4 foot tall ..... I asked her if she was ok which she replied she was ... and then she said something I'll never forget ....she said " for a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH little bug you sure pack a hell of a punch ": !!!!!!

oh and by the way we weren't allowed to take the car until ALL the snow had melted away !!!! AWESOME BUILD and wreck looks real !!!

The front suspension didn't go right when it was built. And so I decided rather than scraping it for parts that the 60 impala would have been wrecked instead. did a search on wrecked 60 impala's found one that closely looked like the damage that would be done to this kit.

Looks great Rick .

I did not wreck the parents car but did wreck the bosses truck. Lucky for me is was the other persons fault. I had the foreman sitting next to me and a little old lady in the other lane for a witnesses. She went through a red light and said it was green, but the officer said to her I understand you think you had the green but how do two cars going the same direction think they had the green at the same time that you did. She was under a bit of stress as her police officer husband was sick at home. No one was hurt so no big deal.

With a big family like mine there are a few. Two that stick out was when my brother was looking at a girl and rear ended a van with Moms newer Pinto wagon, that became a parts car. The next sister in line wiped out the replacement car for that a 72 Olds 98 loaded (this was a gift from my Grandfather as he bought a Blazer to replace it with). That was a nice car but had high miles. She turned left in front of a car passing at an intersection a 78 Cutlass.

Even though there was another sister between me and the other two, mom was always nervous about me driving.

Nice model and interesting subject. I ran my mom and dads '51 Chevy into the back of their garage and nocked it off the foundation when I was 13. The car wasn't hurt except by a basket of walnuts falling from the rafters on to the top of the car. He kept a spare key under the hood and since they were out of town I decided to try my skills in the driveway burning rubber. I was successful the first couple of times. Just a little too much the final time. Stupid, stup[d, stupid!!!! I was grounded for two weeks after a long lecture that got very heated then a whipping. When it came time to fix the garage I received another whipping with a black eye. This may or may not have been the maddest my dad ever got at me. He died in a car accident a year later.

never trashed the parents car but then i didn't start driving regularly until after my dad died, my mum actually gave me his car a few weeks after he went. i took it straight out and swapped it for something i could a) fit inside and B) drive (he had a stick shift suzuki swift - i only drive autos and i'm 6'5"....)

however a couple of years earlier i had rung a car hire place and ordered an auto ute (aussie for pick-up), when i got to the shop the only vehicle in the yard was a totally stuffed old toyota Hiace pickup with 4 speed manual on the column. i pointed out to them that this was not what i'd asked for and it was not going to go well....

they assured me i'd get the hang of it 'just give it a go mate....'

in the (approximately) 5 miles from the rental yard to my house i..

overheated the motor to the point that there was coolant running out from between the block and head

burnt the clutch out completely

totally destroyed the brakes

left the gearbox with only reverse gear still (sort of) functioning

ran it along the side of a car transporter, destroying the passenger side of my car

(none of this was deliberate by the way)

made it home (just) and rang the rental yard and informed them of my eventful journey, there was silence on the other end of the phone for quite some time, then they said they'd send a tow truck and sort it when i got back there

they were as good as their word, there was a brand new automatic ute awaiting me which i proceeded to send sideways (in a cloud of tyre smoke) across three lanes on the way out of their yard and spent the rest of the day 'driving it like i stole it' as the saying goes

apparently they had to throw the toyota away and i was not required to pay any sort of excess for insurance as i'd not ordered that vehicle and told them i couldn't drive it in the first place

Edited by spotarama

I never wrecked my parents cars but did a few of my own and a couple of drag cars racing back in the day. The last one was the worst one got hit from behind while stopped at a red light at around 60mph in a 82 Trans Am...was not good.

Cool build I like it... :)

Edited by disabled modeler

Never crashed one but, when I was 16, I did sneak my dad's car out for a drive-in midnight movie. In 1979, He had a really nice low mileage '71 Chrysler Newport. The movie went okay but as I was driving it "Over The Hump" to leave, I managed to drag it on a piece of debris somebody had left behind and neatly shear off the oil filter. I made it about 3 miles before the thing screeched to a halt.

not long after that it was decided that the US Army did indeed need my services as a 19D Cavalry Scout.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't wrecked a car (yet) but I accidentally crashed my mom's crown Victoria into my old puch moped. Hurt the moped more than the Vic, but it wasn't fun in general. Then my friends and I were out in one of their parents' Chevy blazers, 4wheeling and drifting and we ended up upside down in the ditch. Flipped the blazer back over, knocked out what was left of the back window and he faced the music for that later that day.

Mine was my mother's 1989 BMW 325iX, one of 844 brought to the US that year. It was the day after I earned my driver's license, and I was rear ended by a Ford Crown Vic. The Ford won. The accident clearly wasn't my fault, but I made the mistake of not asking to take out the car, so she still holds that one against me!