Model Cars Magazine Forum

proper way to blackwash chrome grill

Hi, was wondering what the proper way to "blackwash" a chrome grill is. What kind of paint should i use, technique etc.?? - it looks like you only get one shot at this. my last build a 71 duster somebody mentioned i should black wash the grill. I'm doing a 69 GTO and looked at some finished models and must admit it adds something when the chrome is blackwashed.

Thanks, john

One shot?? Now that made me chuckle! Paint, any paint, has a tough time sticking to chrome plating. Take some standard gloss black testors in a bottle. Dip your paintbrush in it, then in your thinner and brush it onto the grille. After it's dried, wipe over it with a soft cloth like an old t-shirt. It's as simple as that. I'm sure there are some other methods that are just as good, as well as some other guys here that will frak out over this technique, but I assure you, this has always worked for me and it will work for you too. ;)

Edit: I say to use gloss black because it will show up darker in the recesses and give more depth than flat black. Try it on a scrap piece if you have doubts.

Edited by MAGNUM4342

One shot?? Now that made me chuckle! Paint, any paint, has a tough time sticking to chrome plating. Take some standard gloss black testors in a bottle. Dip your paintbrush in it, then in your thinner and brush it onto the grille. After it's dried, wipe over it with a soft cloth like an old t-shirt. It's as simple as that. I'm sure there are some other methods that are just as good, as well as some other guys here that will frak out over this technique, but I assure you, this has always worked for me and it will work for you too. ;)

Edit: I say to use gloss black because it will show up darker in the recesses and give more depth than flat black. Try it on a scrap piece if you have doubts.

Do this, it works great and is fool proof.

On most of my grills l tape them off with tamiya masking tape and spray them with krylon flat black. when dry remove the tape and whip over with a damp q-tip with thinner. l also have limited use of one arm due to ms....Slusher