Model Cars Magazine Forum

"51 Thames Pie Wagon

Out of Box 1995 issue by Revell. I picked up an unbuilt kit for $5 at a local show/swap. Challenge to myself to assemble with all the doors working and as close to box art as possible. Lots of small parts with working steering connected to steering wheel. This is the part that bit me. The steering actually worked until a piece popped out and broke upon reassembly. The wheels all rolled (which I always like), except the front wheels stuck out way too far. The fix was to trim the pins and axles and make the front wheels non-rolling. The two piece front tires were also a challenge.

I used Testors Lime Ice one coat Lacquer with no primer. IMG_6601_zps6eff0c68.jpgIMG_6603_zps831f2737.jpgIMG_6605_zps230b86a1.jpgIMG_6606_zps89024818.jpg

Nice work on this one! These kits are not the easiest to put together cleanly, but you have done just that. Your paint job looks really nice and smooth, too. I haven't seen many of these, but this is definitely one of the bests!

Looks good Ron. I wish there was a simple way to make those types of headlights look better,

Ray: There actually is :D ! Just paint them with gloss white and then start removing the paint from the center so that the chrome can be seen through the white paint. It's actually very easy and it works, even if it sounds so simple.

These headlights on my Super Bee were chromed:

P8162431.jpg

Thanks everybody. Niko, thanks for the tip about the headlamps. It was just a quick build with little to no detail. No weathering like I usually like to do and all the wires are hidden. lol

It was fun and still a bit of a challenge which, the early Revell kits usually were. Thanks for looking.

• 3 weeks later...