Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hollywood Knights

What happened to it? It went through a ton of makeovers and swaps.

I'd love to build a Project X like above. Awesome 57

Looks like GM Performance Parts got ahold if it and went the ProTouring route with it then added a new all aluminum 427 cast from the repaired tooling for the original motors back before the economy took a dump.

http://chevroletperformance.pth.nam.gmgssm.com/Racing/projectx.jsp

I don't have any issues with it but but found a thread on H.A.M.B. where there were a bunch of whiners bawling like spoiled 2 year olds because they didn't like it........or in some cases, haven't liked what's been done to it since the 90's.

What was it I said now in the 2015 Mustang thread on how we were at the doorway of 2014.....................

The current project X configuration is almost universally disliked, and not just on H.A.M.B., you should read what members of the tri-five forum had to say about it. One poster said "it was a bad blank hot rod, now it's just another pro touring car"

Edited by Craig Irwin

GM killed its soul.

Don't they have one in their collection they could have torn up or did they sell it when they almost went bankrupt for selling glorified coffee cup holders?

BTW, why don't we have, or make, a sticky for Celebrity type cars? You know, from movies, TV, personalities and such

And if Gasser clones were the it thing and were everywhere, people would likely be complaining that it looked like a cookie cutter car then too, same with Pro Street, Resto Rods, Street Freak, RAT RODS, ect. Like belly buttons, everybody has an opinion, some are just whinier about it that others.........sadly, seems like that's what the rodding community has become.

Edited by Joe Handley

The rodding community is turning away from the high dollar pro built cars and returning back to home built type cars, gasser clones ARE hot and at one time a straight axle gasser type build was considered for project X, so that would have been more in keeping with the car's history. The Tony Nancy interior ripped out and gone, and that custom grille and bar with the hood mods make it look like a 57 Buick it the front end.

Sadly, most of project X ended up in a dumpster.

Looks like GM Performance Parts got ahold if it and went the ProTouring route with it then added a new all aluminum 427 cast from the repaired tooling for the original motors back before the economy took a dump.

http://chevroletperformance.pth.nam.gmgssm.com/Racing/projectx.jsp

I don't have any issues with it but but found a thread on H.A.M.B. where there were a bunch of whiners bawling like spoiled 2 year olds because they didn't like it........or in some cases, haven't liked what's been done to it since the 90's.

What was it I said now in the 2015 Mustang thread on how we were at the doorway of 2014.....................

Kind of like all of us here on this board ? :o

Edited by Greg Myers

lordairgtar, I've been inspired by this thread and have started a build of Project X as it was in the Hollywood Knights movie. I've spent a lot of time on the net researching on many sites and I can tell you after reading hundreds of posts that the current version of project is universally disliked. It's about one or two defenders against about forty or so against on every site. It's not just H.A.M.B.

This is how it looked in about 83 or 84 when a friend had the car for a summer although he wasn't a friend yet, I didn't even know the guy but I remembered the car cruising around Grand Rapids and never gave it any thought. Fast forward 18yrs and we are friends he brings out these pics! Turns out he was tight with the mag and they didn't need the car between Super Chevy shows and asked if he wanted to hang on to the car for a couple months that way they didn't have to cart it back west and told him he could use it but "you break it you bought it".

post-23-0-55980800-1388763525_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-58551600-1388763544_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-68401400-1388763581_thumb.jpg

This is one of those immortal cars that just begs for a club build in all the different versions. Just hate to get stuck with the last version. :lol:

I will tell you that it's a lot of work to get rid of the Belair trim no matter which version you build!

I know this movie had a lot of real cool cars, but has anyone else realized how silly the rest of the movie is?

Yea, its a silly movie, but a classic. One of those flicks every car guy loves, and quotes lines from, Not like the car movies today with a bunch of ricers.

Entertainment doesn't have to be deep to be fun. And as silly as it was it didn't have under car neon or exploding NOS (an oxidizer, not a fuel).

I'm with you here.

• 2 weeks later...

bug-1-1950.jpg"The Bug", this is undisputedly the first dragster, known then as a "rail job" Dick Kraft raced it at Santa Ana in 1950 when the strip first opened. It got its name from the fact that it was a stripped down model A used for spraying Dick's family's orange groves. It was the first car to break 100 mph & eventually went 118 mph. The car now resides in the NHRA museum in Pomona. It is [for the most part] a replica, built by Dick Kraft & Ron Roseberry.