Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMF question doing wing windows

I have BMF down fairly well except for doing wing windows. I have trouble with getting wrinkles when I do them. Any body have any tips on the best way to do them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Really, the only tip I can give you is take your time. The vent windows are the worst thing to foil in my opinion. Try doing them in several pieces. Start with a small piece for the horizontal portion @ the bottom, then a large piece for the A pillar, then a piece for the vent pillar. just keep in mind, if you do it in pieces, to keep your seams in the corners or places where they would be on the 1:1. Steve

Or try this -

• First, color the window frame with a silver Sharpie.
  • Then cut a rectangle of BMF, big enough to span the entire vent window frame and burnish down with a cotton swab and toothpick.
  • Now, with your brand-new Xacto #11 blade, cut around the frame.

Another thing I've found is that I don't pay attention to the paint quality on the vent window frame (don't sand and polish it like the rest of the car), so make sure there are no boogers or texture in your paint on the frame. If so, remove them and hide with the Sharpie.

Or try this -

• First, color the window frame with a silver Sharpie.
  • Then cut a rectangle of BMF, big enough to span the entire vent window frame and burnish down with a cotton swab and toothpick.
  • Now, with your brand-new Xacto #11 blade, cut around the frame.

Another thing I've found is that I don't pay attention to the paint quality on the vent window frame (don't sand and polish it like the rest of the car), so make sure there are no boogers or texture in your paint on the frame. If so, remove them and hide with the Sharpie.

I sort of do a similar thing except I go around when I'm done foiling & touch up any really tiny bare spots with a dab of "chrome silver" paint. You're right about the finish. It's a good idea to do a little light sanding on the vent windows & such before you foil. Steve

The best way to foil wing windows is with one piece that covers the entire frame. It takes some patience. But, it looks so much nicer.

You'll never know the difference or see the seams if you're strategic about where you place them. I do it both ways depending on my mood & doing it in pieces is easier & will save foil as an added bonus. If it's done correctly, it'll look good either way. This one was done in peices. See if you can spot the seams. :) (Click on the photo to blow it up) Steve

You'll never know the difference or see the seams if you're strategic about where you place them. I do it both ways depending on my mood & doing it in pieces is easier & will save foil as an added bonus. If it's done correctly, it'll look good either way. This one was done in peices. See if you can spot the seams. :) (Click on the photo to blow it up) Steve

Oh.... You got a '59 and '60 Mercury too? Very nice.

Scott

I see two vertical seams on the rear post. One at the top corner. One at the bottom corner. If I could view it in person, I could spot every seam. I can on my models anyway. I used to think a single piece was wasting foil. But, it isn't. Three strips of foil will be roughly the same area as one triangular shape. I've done it both ways. The single piece has a much better appearance.

I see two vertical seams on the rear post. One at the top corner. One at the bottom corner. If I could view it in person, I could spot every seam. I can on my models anyway. I used to think a single piece was wasting foil. But, it isn't. Three strips of foil will be roughly the same area as one triangular shape. I've done it both ways. The single piece has a much better appearance.

Aha! You're wrong! there is no vertical seam at the top of the rear post, there's a horizontal one. :) The point is, you're going to have seams on the model regardless, unless you're doing your windshield & rear window trim in one piece. As I said, I do them both ways also. I find very little difference in the finished product. To each his own I guess. :) Steve