Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Chevelles

loudcherokee

Let's see your 70 Chevelle builds! Any way, either pro-street, drag, stock, custom, pro-touring, lowrider, baldwin motion, etc.

I'm currently working on a 70 Chevelle build and have hit a slump. I just can't seem to get motivated to get in there and do anything. Post up your 70 Chevelles, so I can be reminded of how nice these kits look after being put together! Maybe it will motivate me to get in there and actually glue some things together and spray some paint!

LC

Ok, here's a couple of mine.....did this one a few years ago. This is the Monogram kit, built pro-touring.....

70Chevelle.jpg

And this is the AMT kit, built as a street machine.....

70.jpg

The 70 Chevelle is a beautiful car. I prefer the Monogram kit, but both kits are ok in my opinion. I had it in the back of my head to build a factory stock 70 Chevelle.....fully loaded, with A/C and all. Maybe soon! Lol! I DO like to see 'em built as 70's era street machines, though.

Edited by roadhawg

Ok, here's a couple of mine.....did this one a few years ago. This is the Monogram kit, built pro-touring.....

70Chevelle.jpg

Nice! One question, how did you lower the front suspension on the monogram kit? That's a difficulty I'm running into on mine. Also, did you de-chrome the bumper and alclad it? I noticed that horrible seam on the side of the front bumper is missing from your kit, that is found on all my revell bumpers for the 70 chevelle. I was thinking about removing it on mine, and alclading, i'm just not sure yet.

LC

Well, mine is as boring as it gets. I don't even remember if it's a Revell or an AMT. It was a pre-painted body, but I wet-sanded through one of the stripes, so I had to fix that.

Received_23_11_2005180233-vi.jpg

I added a vinyl top, and ARII wheels/tires

Received_23_11_2005175515-vi.jpg

I like it anyhow.

Nice! One question, how did you lower the front suspension on the monogram kit? That's a difficulty I'm running into on mine. Also, did you de-chrome the bumper and alclad it? I noticed that horrible seam on the side of the front bumper is missing from your kit, that is found on all my revell bumpers for the 70 chevelle. I was thinking about removing it on mine, and alclading, i'm just not sure yet.

LC

I assembled the front suspension per the instructions, then cut the axle pins off. I then sat the model on a piece of glass and propped it up with a piece of sprue under the oil pan so it sat right, put a drop of 5 minute epoxy on the wheel backs, and slid 'em into place, holding them in position until the epoxy sat up. I know thats pretty low-tech, but hey, it works! Lol!

On the rear I cut the springs and filed the control arms until it sat low enough.

I sanded the bumper seam and applied BMF to the edges only. Hope this helps.

Rodney and Jason hit some home runs with those! those are some cool builds! and yes i'm a kid from the 80's so that's why i'm really digging those two.

i built quite a few of those just like Rodney's build. the "Heavy Chevy" kit is one of my all time favorites. Jason's looks to be built from the yellow version that had a big front air dam to go with the funky shaker scooped big-block.

if the sun comes out tomorrow, i'll post some pics of a few of mine. :lol:

Dave

Kind of... It's actually a Heavy Chevy, with the hood and intake from the yellow Malibu kit, and a set of ARII wheels. I have the other half of these 2 kits, waiting to be built...

I merely traded the parts from the two kits. I just have not built the second car yet, too many other things going on. The Malibu, will have the Heavy Chevy engine, the Malibu's cow catcher front air dam, and rear spoiler... just need a paint scheme... :rolleyes:

Anyway... Has anyone tried to kit bash the Snaptite Chevelle, with the Heavy Chevy or Malibu kits? Are the mold seems in the same place on the bumpers? Any pro's and con's?

Edited by Abell82

Nice builds here guys. I'm hoping to make mine as nice, and this thread has given me a couple of ideas. I plan a graphite grey with black racing stripes build, with a fully detailed engine bay. I got a big block chevy detail kit that includes edelbrock valve covers, air cleaner, and pulley faces. I also have an aftermarket pulley set, and all kinds of PE parts for carb linkage, fuel lines, engine brackets, looms, etc.

Tonio, on the orange chevelle, what color is that exactly? That's really nice. And on the red one, did you use the MCG photo etch kit for the badging on the side? I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should use the PE badging, or BMF the molded in script before paint and then polish the paint off the BMF. The PE badge has that little plate in between the SS and the 454. how did you make that disappear if you used the PE kit?

LC

Rasin's Red Alert and all of his builds for that matter are incredible.

True, True.

I have an urge to build another Chevelle

and even do it better (than mine).

And for Mr Zinn on the MadMax.

Dang cool. Most people wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't the real deal..

And for your 1:1 build.

I remember a few of those in HighSchool running around in Primer

Classic High School HotRod..

The movies always have sweet Chevelles don't they?

I plan on building a trio of Chevelles. Wooderson's from Dazed and Confused 103.jpg

Torreto's from The Fast and The Furious (2001) and Fast and Furious (2009)fast_and_furious_movie_cars_spy_pics-1.jpg1970-primer-chevrolet-chevelle.jpg

Unfortunately I have a 69 Goat to complete, then a Warthog before I start this trio. I'm going to start with Wooderson's cause his is stock, and clean, and I think doing a clean black paint would be awesome. Anyway figured I'd share. I will keep ya'll updated with progress after the Goat and Warthog are done.

And for your 1:1 build.

I remember a few of those in HighSchool running around in Primer

Classic High School HotRod..

Man, I wish I went to highschool when you guys did. All I got were donked out Avalanches and wannabe rice burners. I have nothing against imported cars, in fact I really freaking love them, but throwing a 20 dollar muffler, and what would pass for a cardboard wing on your 95 neon doesn't make you cool. I had the coolest car for a year with a 94 Mustang GT and still that is NOTHING compared to what you would find in the late 60's and early 70's. I was born in the wrong decade.

WOW!!! They're all nice builds. I'd like to play too, so here's my entry. It's the AMT Kit. (If I ever do another one, I think I'll use the Revell Kit)

I had to correct the body side profile before it even looked OK. The cowl vent is scratch built, the decals are from Keith Marks, and the paint is from MCW.

100_4459-vi.jpg

100_4461-vi.jpg

100_4462-vi.jpg

100_4463-vi.jpg

100_4468-vi.jpg

I hope I'm not over stepping the boundries, but here's a couple shots of the 69 Chevelle I built at the same time i was doing the 70.

It is also an AMT kit. I made this one an automatic. The paint is Fathom Green from Testors. (Nice paint btw)

100_4469-vi.jpg

100_4472-vi.jpg

The tail lights had to be scratch built because the ones in the AMT kit were horrible!!

100_4475-vi.jpg

100_4483-vi.jpg

I hope I'm not over stepping the boundries, but here's a couple shots of the 69 Chevelle I built at the same time i was doing the 70.

It is also an AMT kit. I made this one an automatic. The paint is Fathom Green from Testors. (Nice paint btw)

I don't think so, not when it looks that good sir. Really dig the 69's and I used to not be a fan, but lately they have been hitting the spot.

Looking on the 70 Chevelle, it looks great to me. What did you have to fix regarding side profile?

I am dreading the chrome strip over the wheels. *cries*

I don't think so, not when it looks that good sir. Really dig the 69's and I used to not be a fan, but lately they have been hitting the spot.

Looking on the 70 Chevelle, it looks great to me. What did you have to fix regarding side profile?

I am dreading the chrome strip over the wheels. *cries*

Running down the length of the car on both sides was a depression that had to be filled. It was the same on both sides and they were indentical so I dont think it was a casting flaw.

The Wheel opening moldings were a little trying. Just make sure you use a brand new piece of BMF.

Hi guys, wow! He have are a lot of very nice 70 Chevelle, here two of mine,

First one, 1970 SS454,

It's an Monogram 1/24, the color it's an special mix, i try to make an Testor special mix to replicate Automn Gold, ok! i'm not exactly right on, it's more brown then gold, but at the time hi built this Chevelle i am very satisfied of the result.

HPIM2174-vi.jpg

HPIM2175-vi.jpg

The second one, another SS454, but this one in "Resto-Mod" style, it's an Revell Snap-tite 1/25, an nice curbside model. Testor Silver rattle can with a clear cote and pegagus wheels set.

HPIM7210-vi.jpg

HPIM7205-vi.jpg

Daniel

Nice builds here guys. I'm hoping to make mine as nice, and this thread has given me a couple of ideas. I plan a graphite grey with black racing stripes build, with a fully detailed engine bay. I got a big block chevy detail kit that includes edelbrock valve covers, air cleaner, and pulley faces. I also have an aftermarket pulley set, and all kinds of PE parts for carb linkage, fuel lines, engine brackets, looms, etc.

Tonio, on the orange chevelle, what color is that exactly? That's really nice. And on the red one, did you use the MCG photo etch kit for the badging on the side? I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should use the PE badging, or BMF the molded in script before paint and then polish the paint off the BMF. The PE badge has that little plate in between the SS and the 454. how did you make that disappear if you used the PE kit?

LC

Thanks :blink:. The "orange" Chevelle is Duplicolor Orange Mist from a can with Duplicolor clear. The red Chevelle is basically box-stock except for the sunglasses, radar detector, seatbelts & some wiring. Everything else was in the box.