Model Cars Magazine Forum

ICM 1913 Model T Ford Roadster, review with pics

Two things that "appear" to be a bit disappointing --

Multi-part body and multi-part top --- otherwise it looks to be of similar quality to the Opel Admiral ---

Yes, but a couple of things:

If it's as precisely molded as the Opel, assembly of these multi-piece assemblies will be a breeze, and second, the top is, in my opinion, far better done in multiple parts than as a one-piece unit--same the the multipiece upholstery. I don't consider any of this to be any impediment.

Art

Yes, but a couple of things:

If it's as precisely molded as the Opel, assembly of these multi-piece assemblies will be a breeze, and second, the top is, in my opinion, far better done in multiple parts than as a one-piece unit--same the the multipiece upholstery. I don't consider any of this to be any impediment.

Art

ICM's fantastic Typ 770K and G4 kits also have multi-piece bodies and build up nicely with no problems.

I too don't much care for the FORD script on the radiator core--I don't believe that was a stock item in 1913, more likely (I think) indicative of the brass script a lot of restorers affix there.

I also tend to agree with this assessment. Henry Ford was not one to waste money. I cannot see him having a brass script made to mount on the rad core itself when the Ford name was already stamped into the brass radiator. Having the Ford name and script on the front of the car in two places so close together does not strike me as something he would do. After all, this is a man that had shipping crates made of a certain wood and made to specific sizes so that they could be disassembled and used as floor boards in order to save money.

Overall this looks like an excellent kit and I look forward to getting one. Possibly even two, one to build stone stock and one to turn into a gow job.

Just for fun I will be adding some photos of 1913 Fords for reference under the 1:1 heading of this forum. I decided to start with a photo of my own 1913 Ford Touring Car, an all original car. I also have several restored cars I can show you if thee in interest. Helps to have them in the back yard!

Eric

Just for fun I will be adding some photos of 1913 Fords for reference under the 1:1 heading of this forum. I decided to start with a photo of my own 1913 Ford Touring Car, an all original car. I also have several restored cars I can show you if thee in interest. Helps to have them in the back yard!

Eric

Please do. I'll look forward to seeing them.

Charlie Larkin

Interestingly from 1909 to 1911 the Ford script was in fact affixed to the radiator core so it would make sense that ICM would only use one core as they are also going to introduce a 1911 Touring. Likely, the car they used for a model of the 1913 had the script in place. The fix is easy. Drill out the core and cut down a new one to fit from the AMT kit. You could also use the brake actuator from the AMT kit if you were not of a mind to scratch build one.

As for the crate size specified to be used in the wood for floors, one would have to look at the floors of original cars to know, but I assure you it is a complete fallacy. There is not one scrap of evidence in any documentation produced by Ford that backs this up nor does inspection of the wood in the cars. One of the reasons for this myth seems to be that it was written by Floyd Clymer, who was supposed to be a friend of Henry Ford. Actually, Clymer was writing his books in the late 1940's and early 1950's. Keep in mind that Henry Ford died in 1947. Now tell me, how could Clymer have interviewed him to get this information?

The other myth is that Henry Ford was cheap. This is not so. By the mid teens Ford was one of the richest men in the world. While he enjoyed the simple life, he got to be rich by building an exceptionally high quality product using state of the art materials. In retrospect we look at the 1909 Ford as crude and we see Ford as resistant to change and to spending money. This was simply not the case. Almost nothing from my 1926 Model T Touring will fit on my 1909 Model T Touring. The car was in a constant state of evolution and change. Sure by 1927 they were pretty dated but this was not true at the time of the car's introduction. The car is indeed crude...right up until you drive the contemporaries. Then you find they are pretty good.

Edited by Eric Macleod

Interestingly from 1909 to 1911 the Ford script was in fact affixed to the radiator core so it would make sense that ICM would only use one core as they are also going to introduce a 1911 Touring. Likely, the car they used for a model of the 1913 had the script in place. The fix is easy. Drill out the core and cut down a new one to fit from the AMT kit. You could also use the brake actuator from the AMT kit if you were not of a mind to scratch build one.

As for the crate size specified to be used in the wood for floors, one would have to look at the floors of original cars to know, but I assure you it is a complete fallacy. There is not one scrap of evidence in any documentation produced by Ford that backs this up nor does inspection of the wood in the cars. One of the reasons for this myth seems to be that it was written by Floyd Clymer, who was supposed to be a friend of Henry Ford. Actually, Clymer was writing his books in the late 1940's and early 1950's. Keep in mind that Henry Ford died in 1947. Now tell me, how could Clymer have interviewed him to get this information?

The other myth is that Henry Ford was cheap. This is not so. By the mid teens Ford was one of the richest men in the world. While he enjoyed the simple life, he got to be rich by building an exceptionally high quality product using state of the art materials. In retrospect we look at the 1909 Ford as crude and we see Ford as resistant to change and to spending money. This was simply not the case. Almost nothing from my 1926 Model T Touring will fit on my 1909 Model T Touring. The car was in a constant state of evolution and change. Sure by 1927 they were pretty dated but this was not true at the time of the car's introduction. The car is indeed crude...right up until you drive the contemporaries. Then you find they are pretty good.

Henry Ford was frugal .. not cheap . He abhorred waste . I do remember reading this Floyd Clymer account concerning the floor boards . Whatever Henry did to get this done , he did Put the World on Wheels .

I appreciate this review . I was hesitant to find this kit . I think it is on my want list . This will remain there until I have one in my meat hooks . Thanx ..