Model Cars Magazine Forum

post apocalyptic community build

Blake Rogers

one more question cranky, just so i get this right.

You put down your rust color, let it dry(sand or no sand?) then wet the body then put the salt on?

or spray your rust, let it get partially dry(still tacky) then throw on your salt?

After you put your salt on what do you do? just put whatever color you want on it? only flat paints right? what about satins?

thanks,Jeff.

No sanding . . . also, make sure the salt does not go on wet paint or else it is going to stick on there . . . you want the paint dry, then you wet with water, sprinkle the salt, dry it with a hairdryer of let sit overnight, THEN you spray on the next coat . . . use a toothbrush under cold water to brush the salt off.

Good luck.

Great updates Cranky. Thanks for advice on weathering to as I want to do a beater later on. I strayed from mine for a day as I attended a build session and started my "professional job theme" kit for my club. I did start sanding bondo though I can't let this sit. Like you said this build is too fun! :) I plan on having the body work about wrapped up tomorrow and I will get pre primer pics up. Take care guys!

I think it should work, and the times I've tried it I've used Plastikote brown primer, then I've misted a little orange and yellow on there, then you salt, and then you can spray the aluminum . . . please if you try it post your results. Thanks.

I will give it a try tomorrow and post results, thanksalotdude!

Thanks, buddy.

Here are a couple of pics of Cranky's "gunking" station:

IMG_2521_1-vi.jpg

I have to confess washing a model is about one of my all-time favorite things . . .

IMG_2522-vi.jpg

After the wash, here's the drying station . . . that's a little desktop fan I picked up on the internet for about 9.99. It works. Two speeds . . . dries everything within a couple of hours . . .

IMG_2523-vi.jpg

Thanks, Jeff . . . I really appreciate it . . .

I'm making slow progress, but part of the fun in building this type of vehicle was to play with the different components and really have a blast when it comes to taking pictures, so here go a few more . . .

I'm still weathering and trying out different looks for this thing . . .

IMG_2538-vi.jpg

I dusted the whole model with the orinal buff color from Tamiya and a little white just to bring it all together . . . and also bring the sheen way down to a matte level . . .then used a few more powders . . .

IMG_2541-vi.jpg

IMG_2542-vi.jpg