Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Impala SS

Olle F

Yep, I suspect that it could be a vacuum canister for a cruise control. I haven't found any pictures of a linkage that would indicate this though, and I don't have a manual either. :) I don't really think it's an aftermarket item, as it's included on the original firewall in this kit.

firewallwb1.jpg

But of course, the model kit manufacturers don't always do their homework, so it can probably depend a lot on the car they used for reference when they made the kit. I found parts of this on a '65 at a local junk yard (together with what seems to be factory wiring) and have seen it in other pictures, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to find some reference pictures somewhere. If not, I'll just build something, cross my fingers and hope that no one else will be able to tell either. :)

mystery1tt9.jpg

mystery2ri5.jpg

Olle, I found a '66 Olds manual on "The Old Car Project " on the internet, sight has lots of manuals for reference, it showed the canister as part of heater, stores vacuum for the damper motors.

Cool, I sure appreciate the forensic work! ;) I found the manual (the Fisher manual, right?) and started to download it, but it's a bit slow so I can't read it yet. I'll check it out later, it's time to pack my bags. Have to get on the road again tomorrow. ;)

• 3 months later...

I guess you have already figured out that I'm not the quickest builder on this forum, but here's a picture just to prove that I'm actually doing something. I was hoping that I would be able to finish this build before the show in Cookeville, but I seriously doubt it... ;)

65impala157cc6.jpg

Hej Olle! Good to see you working on the Impala. But where's the intake manifold bolt heads.....Just messin with ya, ol' man...but they should be there, right? Btw, when's the show in Cookeville, this Saturday?? Good luck, 1. Finishing it, and 2. At the contest. Display a Swedish flag with the model!

Hej Olle! Good to see you working on the Impala. But where's the intake manifold bolt heads.....Just messin with ya, ol' man...but they should be there, right? Btw, when's the show in Cookeville, this Saturday?? Good luck, 1. Finishing it, and 2. At the contest. Display a Swedish flag with the model!

Can't put any bolts in the intake manifold as I lost my 1:25 wrench... have to look in the vacuum cleaner bag. ;) The show is the 8th so there is still some time, but I have some business trips coming up and might be out of pocket for a while... The story of my life. :rolleyes: We'll see about the Swedish flag, I have actually been thinking about printing some decals to put on my models. :mellow:

Olle, what about using a piece of black BMF for the wiring protector??

I already tried that, and it's too thin and flimsy. The original piece is made of some kind of stiff plastic material so it can't have any wrinkles, and BMF just wouldn't work. The best material would probably be what old tooth paste tubes used to be made of, but they don't make them like that anymore. For now, I'll be using a styrene piece but I was thinking about that heavy lead foil you find on wine bottles. That's a good excuse to get a bottle of good wine, isn't it? :D On second thought, I think they still make glue tubes of the old style material... I might just buy a tube and cut it apart.

Edited by Olle F

Cool interior color. I like all the details you've done , since I don't do any. Off sub., but not, saw that theres a 65 Chev color avaiable called orchid [spelling] , think its the new laq. I'm going to use it as part of a two tone on a 47Chev. Fleetline. Will be copy of lowrider that's still around, all I need to do is find all the mags. that have the pics. in them. Sorry, went way of subject, hope I haven't affended anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly but surely... I was planning to have this one finished for the show in Cookeville, but I had to work out of town for a while so it didn't happen. Well, at least I have got a few more things done, and they say that there will be a show next year as well... B)

Added some more detail to the engine, such as radiator hoses, ignition coil and some other miscellaneous parts. Fortunately, the air filter will cover just about everything on the intake manifold, so I can skip details like gas linkage, return springs etc. without feeling too bad about it:

65impala206zg5.jpg

The firewall is just about done, just need to add the previously discussed "mystery can" and a brake line from the master cylinder, and that should hopefully be it:

65impala209tz4.jpg

The chassis is straight out of the box, just painted and assembled. There are still a few parts missing, but it's just about done:

65impala213tk1.jpg

oh my god that would make a sweet old school low rider with the stock paint,engine,and interior all you need is some 100 spokes and a lowerd stance just my two cents

not everything need to be a lowrider look at Oldies and Viejitos car clubs.... they got rides that are build totally stock like this one.....

• 2 weeks later...