Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford Custom "Spearmint"

mrmike

The Story

McNally's father was becoming more and more absent from young McNally’s life. He almost never saw him on the job or in the station house. His father started running around with drunken floozies and once, when young McNally did see his father at work, he thought he could smell alcohol on his father’s breath. He confronted him at home about his drinking and his father got mad and tried to throw a punch at his son. The punch thrown was slow and misguided as the elder McNally missed and lost his footing.

“You are so drunk that you can barely stand,” says young McNally.

“I can take you…anytime,” his father yells at him.

“You can’t even stand up and look me in the eye, Dad!”

His father was on his knees and elbows, with his forehead touching the floor. He was breathing very hard. His body goes limp as he passes out and falls flat on the floor.

“Stay there and sleep it off, old man!”

McNally grabs his jacket and leaves the house, frustrated and angry.

The Build

I started polishing the paint only to rub through the paint on the trunk lid. I taped off the trunk lid and resprayed it.

57Custom13.jpg

I had to top the engine with some chrome so I painted the air filters with gloss black enamel and then sprayed them with Alclad II Chrome Paint.

57Custom14.jpg

I decided to paint the interior with Humbrol Dragoon Green. When this has dried, I'll apply the gray decals to the seats.

57Custom15.jpg

McNally will return...

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Richard, Kerry, and Carl. I'm not 100% happy with the interior color as I think it may be a tad too light. Maybe I can darken it a bit. If not, then I'll just add the decals to the seats and door panel and seal it with some semi gloss clear.

The Story

With less than a month remaining as a Patrol Officer, McNally was driving with his partner, Peter Jesliska. Peter and McNally had been partners for seven months and Peter had been talking trash about having to break in a new partner. McNally laughed and said that Peter had it all wrong; he had broke Peter into the job!

The call over the radio alerted McNally. “Officer down! Need back up! Officer shot! Send an ambulance to Faneuil Hall Market Place!” He turned the cruiser around and headed to Faneuil Hall with lights and siren going.

“Unit 374 responding,” Peter says into the microphone.

“Acknowledged Unit 374,” the dispatcher replied.

When they arrived, McNally’s worst fears had been realized…his father had been shot.

The Build

With the exception of touchups, painting the trans, and aircleaners, the engine is almost complete.

57Custom16.jpg

After cleaning up the exhaust and noticing the mounting pins on the end of the pipes, I decided to add a couple of tips from the Revell 2006 Mustang that I didn't use. Since the pins are a larger diameter than the holes in the tips, I drilled out the tips to accept the larger pins.

57Custom17.jpg

57Custom18.jpg

McNally will return...

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Gene!

The Story

The EMTs arrived and applied bandages to the bleeding wounds and placed Sgt. McNally on a gurney and briskly moved him over to the ambulance. They load up and close the doors on Off. McNally who runs over to his cruiser and tries to follow the ambulance with Peter yelling for him to stop and let him in, which he does and then they race over to Mass. General Hospital. McNally is forced to wait in the waiting room while his father is being treated and the wait seemed to take forever. Finally the ER doctor comes out looking for young Officer McNally and announces that they couldn't save him and his father died from his wounds. Sgt. McNally's superior comes into the ER and is told the sad news and he orders young Officer McNally and Officer Jeliska back to the station.

The Build

I got the decals applied this morning and will coat them with semi gloss clear tomorrow.

57Custom19.jpg

Tonight, I foiled the body with BMF. What a difference a little foil makes!

57Custom20.jpg

57Custom21.jpg

McNally will return...

Thanks guys! In my mind, the colors worked well together, but I also had my doubts. After painting the body, I was so relieved to see just how nice they looked together and the foiling made it look even better! I'm definitely heading in the right direction with the build and the story may take a turn for the worse. Stay tuned...McNally will return...

WOW! The foil really pulled the paint job together, and the interior looks very nice with the decals.

Re. your plan to spray the interior with semi-gloss: A little tip I picked up from another forum member (Sorry, I don't remember who) is to shoot the interior with matte clear, then lightly polish the vinyl areas with Novus #2. This gives a little more control over the level of shine and preserves the matte appearance of the fabric areas.

Thanks Gene and Johann! And, thanks fr the tip on the interior. I did go and spray the interior with some semi gloss clear and it did give a bit of a sheen to the seats and side panels. I'm contemplating giving them one more coat, but I'm not sure if I will. I just may leave it as is.

The Story

McNally stands there in shock. Peter puts his hand on McNally’s shoulder and says, “I’m sorry partner. I’ll help you with making arrangements.” McNally looks at Peter and says, “Thanks.” He hands his keys to the cruiser to his partner and slowly walks out of the ER. They get into the cruiser with Peter behind the wheel. Peter clears them from the hospital and returns them to the station house where they'll fill out their reports on the nights activities and McNally will put in for Bereavement time.

The Build

I got the dash detailed this afternoon.

57Custom22.jpg

The chassis is going together rather nicely. I'll finish the interior and then add the driveshaft and rear axle.

57Custom23.jpg

The engine in the chassis.

57Custom24.jpg

McNally will return...

Edited by mrmike