Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hurricane Irene - lost quite a bit

sorry to hear of the damage and bad news... we lost almost everything in last years Nashville flood ... it has taken a year to get somewhat back to normal

so I feel some of your pain...

take care of your family, personal business, and ..priorities ... The MCM forum will still be here don't sweat the small stuff bro

Edited by scalenut

You know , I actually understand all too well losing EVERYTHING in a Hurricane. Years ago, in 1973, there was Hurricane Agness. I was in a three story building near the James river in Richmond Va's Schokoe Bottom, ( 17th an Dock ) I saw a van I recently purchased go out upside down into the Kanawa Canal adjacent to the James , I lost my entire business which I had on the second and third floor and guess what , NO INSURANCE ! In addition, I had a collection of A M T Kits dating back to 1959 , built , precious to me non the less . Everything was ruined beyond recognition ...............

An someone said Suicide is painless...................... yeah ..............

Ed Shaver

Wow. I'm very sorry to hear of this. The worst we saw up here while driving around was one uprooted tree that fell across someone's car.

You did manage to escape with yourselves and your pets. With some degree of luck, you can salvage a few models and some other stuff, too. Perhaps the worst may be the things that really aren't replaceable- photos and the like. But even that, too, will pass.

Hang in there, and we're all here for you when you're ready or if you need us.

Charlie Larkin

Robert,

Sorry to hear about this.its terrible but like all have said.your family and yourself are ok and have a place to be...that is a blessing.everything else can be replaced in time.its no fun but don't give up keep the pedal to the floor.you never know what things may come from this.keep leting us know how you are getting along.Chris

Very sorry to hear about the damage to your property but at least the good Lord kept you and your family safe. Material things will return in time but I'm sure its still painful. My Mother was visiting family in the Chesapeake Beach area so I was worried like crazy. I also have other family in Maryland and Virginia as well but thankfully all of them made it through the storm with minimal issues. Hang tough Bro, do what you must do to get your family situated. Be sure to count your blessings although it is likely difficult right now. We will be here when you are back to the modeling hobby. Take care and God bless.

Rob, same thing nearly happened to me during Isabel a few years ago. The tree cutters cut down all of the oak trees we had near the house . Wouldn't ya know it , a Lightning bolt struck behind the house sending half a Pine tree in the back porch . I dunno, can't win fer losing sometimes . Ed Shaver

We were without power for a day and a half(got it back last night), and lost a few trees & related limbs......I am counting my blessings for sure. Like everybody has already said, Allen: I'm glad you and your family got out safely, and thet rest is just stuff to replace.

Our hearts in this household go out to you and yours and our prayers are that things are going to work out better than you dare hope when all is said and done. We lost our home to a fire on November 30, 1988. We were away from home when the fire started and the house was a total loss and we were left with nothing but the clothes on our backs. You know that things are bad when you have to go and buy a pencil and note pad so that you can start documenting things. *sighs* The only thing left standing after the fire was part of the dining room wall where our floor to ceiling book case stood and most of the book case and the charred remains of the books. They survived only because they were tightly packed together and our awesome volunteer fire department was quick to respond tothe call when it came in. The firemen said that it was one of the hottest fires they had ever attended, due ib part to the hardwood construction of the old home.

So I can certianly identify with your loss but as has been repeatedly said, those things that matter most are still intact - you and your family. Please believe me when I say that while I do not at alll mean to make light of your circumstances or discount your hurt, pain, suffering and/or sense of loss, you fared better than many people did through that wretched storm. I would encourage you to use this situation to draw ever closer to each other as a family and to really appreciate the fact that you still have each other and that no one was injured or worse.

Like Ed, I lost ALL of my model collection in one fell swoop in our fire. We cleaned up what was left of our home ourselves, sifting through one shovel full of ashes at a time and it was surprising by what actaully survived. Basically, we were hoping to find keys for the many vehicles that we owned as well as any important papers that may have survived and indeed, some did, including a very few precious photographs, We kept important papers stored in our deep freeze and they too were OK. I never believed in safety deposit boxes before that but all of our phtograph negatives and important papers are now stored in a safety deposit box and all of our digital pictures will also be put on flash drives and stored likewise. It's those little, personal things that are really missed as anyoone who has ebdured a major loss can testify to. A fridge is a fridge - a bed is a bed and a television is a televion - those things do not matter. But family heirlooms, gifts from special friends and items from your childhood - those can not ever be replaced.

Of all the things that we lost that day, the most missed are our photographs and family videos, our wedding gifts, the things that my wife and I had from our childhood and my toy and model collection, like Ed's dating back to the late 50's. I can never replace all that I had although I have tried over the years but unbilt '59 Nash Metropolitan kits and unbuilt annual Ford and Pontiac kits from 1961 through '67 are just too much money for me. I had dozens of unbuilt and built annuals and they are all gone but I thank the good Lord that what matters most is still here - my wife and family. I disagree that everything else can be replaced because some things just can't. But a lot of stuff can be, so it is not all bad news I guess. Still, it is the really important things that when lost, are lost forever.

Perhaps the one thing that had the most impact on me when we were sifting through the ashes was something that we found on the floor behind what was left of our son's bed in his bedroom. Fires are pretty amazing because alhough the house was levelled, the wooden gropund floor was amazingly intact and the carpet on it was still almost still useable, believe it or not. The house was old and of fir lumber construction and it burned so hot and fast that the roof simply burned before it could collapse, as did the second story floor - so most of the heat went straight up. But when we were cleaning our son's room, we found an perfectly unscathed, unmarked little item that was given to us when he was born and it hung on the wall above his bed. It was a blue velvet covered pad with a pewter image of a little boy kneeling and praying - how it survived is a mystery to us because it had been on the wall the night before when my wife had put him to bed - he had just turned five years old the day before the fire. How it ended up off the wall where it weas hanging and on the floor...????? You can take that to mean nothing, but it really spoke to my heart and that little, kneeling boy is sitting on our entertainment stand in our home today as a reminder of what is important and that there is One far greater than us who watches over us and cares for us. Our bedroom was upstairs in that house and I have little doubt that had we been at home asleep when that fire started, we'd likely have never gotten out.

You and your family will getthrough this - you guys are winners and not quitters and there are really only two ways thata you can look atthis - you can choose to look at it as a victim and feel sorry and moan and groan - or you can see yourselves a students and ask yourself, "What can I learn from this and how can I use this circumstance to become a stronger and better person?" At least, that is what we did - and it helped. Hope this all meant something.. and we wish you guys the very best in overcoming this challenge because it is not a small one nor should it be taken lightly by anyone. Best wishes from the Cooks.

Most of Connecticut got hit hard even though it had downgraded to tropical storm winds. The power is just beginning to be restored. I am still without power. Although I have a generator its still not like reg power. Cable is out too. This sucks this camping in your own home thing! Lol With no internet all my communication is through my DROID....

Edited by Terry Sumner

Hang in there Terry; I'm in Ridgefield and got my power back yesterday around noon (lost it Sunday around 3:00 AM). In as that 67% of the town is still dark, we're pretty lucky; now I can pump out my basement, including my cave (model room!).

Allan, that looks like your work room. Of course the tree came in right there! Good thing you weren't under it. As the others have mentioned, it's just stuff and you and your family are safe.

I know how you feel, though: In February 2009 a fire broke out in, of course, my cave (the model room) and fortunately was confined to that room and an adjacent portion of the basement. The "cave" was competely gutted and I lost my stash of 300+ unbuilts, some dating back to the late '50s. In recent years my collection had migrated from mostly 1/25 domestic kits to a majority of 1/24 more exotic classic, sports/sports racing and racing cars. I lost a large stash of Tamiya, Fujimi ("Enthusiast" Porsches and Ferraris and a 917 to which I had added an HRM engine transkit), Heller and Italeri "conventional" kits, along with 8 MFH Ferraris, a Finecast Bugatti Type 59, an HRM Daytona Coupe, an LM GT40, an Etzel's Miller 91, etc. Most of my tools, and all of my paint, was lost, although my compressor and a couple of airbrushes survived. All of my builts were immolated except for one: an Etzels 1925 Indy Duesenberg. Funny thing, too, because it was right next to a puddle that had been a Tamiya GT1.

Here's another one: I'm a NYC-based graphic designer/artist/illustrator. For 17 years my office was in 2 WTC, first on the 93rd floor, then on the 91st. I kept my whole portfolio and two full-size flat files with 20 years worth of original architectural renderings, drawings and illustrations in my office, not to mention all the digital media I had backed up on CDs. Well, I don't have to tell anyone what happened to all of that stuff 10 years ago.

All just stuff. I got out of that office 4 minutes before the second plane hit. Thirteen of my colleagues, who had stayed, were killed.

The house will get fixed, and you'll get back to modelling. Good luck! Oh, I was able to find another Etzel's Miller, BTW, and am keeping the collection to 1/25 scale - gotta watch the spending these days...

Best regards.

PB.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we are in a new house, and ServPro is going to be going through and cleaning up whatever they can. I left the models in the computer room as they said they have restorers available to see if they can clean them up, but the pix of the damage is worse than the last one I posted because the ceiling fell in more than before. I will have to post them up later.

The irritating thing about the new house is there's nowhere to set up a good work area (no basement, garage, etc...). I may have to sacrifice the dining room to do it, but I'm gonna work on models again, darn it!