Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Fury Custom Suburban " Long Roof "

Mopar - D

Dan, nice work so far. Good move transplanting the plastic nose onto the body. I've transplanted plastic roofs onto resin bodies so that I could get the glass to fit flush. Resin can be uneven.

ad18eaa875403bfc97c70768cf6ca0e9.jpg

A question... did Motor City scribe this interior? The lines are no where near straight.

This is a really good thread!! I owned a 1:1 Fury II wagon that was I really liked and so this one hits close to home for me. Clearly, this is going to be a nice piece and very unusual when completed and I look forward to seeing it. A good choice of colours and best of all, a stock build of a very attractive and seldom seen car.

May I ask what process you used to make and apply the side trim? It appears that you have it pretty much perfectly straight and sized - but how did you accomplish that feat and what materials did you use? If you would be so kind as to share your technique, I am sure that there are those if us who could benefit from your expertise and knowledge. I need to make side trim for a 59 Chevy Bel Air but I am just not sure how to go about making the lines as symmetrical as it appears that you made yours on this model.

Thanks John and Andraz.

Gary, the first thing I do is research my subject to get the required locations and size of the trim using pictures or in this case I was able to use the 68 Fury III Coverable model I have to help in getting the location and size. I used 1/4" tape as a guide to lay out the location of the molding to be placed. This helped to keep the molding straight and to keep the glue from going all over the body. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm going to try to add some texture for the headliner seeing how it is pretty big. I've seen where others have used a wet paper towel coated with Elmer's glue to create the shell and then paint it. Here is my wet towel with Elmer's glue setting up and the cut out after it dried. Also did a test fit to make sure everything still fits and to see how the wheels look in the body.

3dfa92d8c41ed135b3b2b5a426439a18.jpg

aaf911705742f35ff8620d69cfbaf3a9.jpg

9105fc8c43df495884b09d35d39c96cb.jpg

36179bbb1c64ee67a5a7dc62e6234f2e.jpg