Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1938 Custom Ford Van

fseva

Appears to be a re-pop of the Testors "Vantastic" from 1998. 1/24 scale (or so mine says on the box).

I haven't built it, but it looks to be a decent kit. Contemporary street rod style frame, suspension, and interior. Chevy LT1 engine. Molding is good overall; tires are a bit weak. Looks like it would build OK out of the box, or the potential is there to do a bit more.

Yes it is 1/24 scale, it's basically a rebody of the Coddington Smoothster kit, so if you've ever seen that kit you know what you're getting. The kit hasn't been around that long as far as reissues go so there shouldn't be any problems with a lot of flash., but the tires suck, unless they changed formula all the original Testors kits I've had have all had the tires break up after a few months of being put on the wheels, one kit build up I acquired had excellent tires, but the builder of that one sanded the wheels until the tires just fell on the rims, then glued them on, this is still my favorite among the "Smoothster" based kits, unless they figure out a way to fix the roof of the '38 Special.

so whats with this can't make up their mind about whether it is 1/24 or 1/25 scale business? I mean, its one or the other...why if it is 1/24 does it say, plain as day, 1/25 on the box? is it that they (mfg, in this case I would assume Round 2) just don't care? kind of like I don't because its such a small difference in most cases...but its not me putting out the kits. you would think they would get that right, or at least consistent. maybe its because the American "standard" seems to be 1/25 and they want to fit in? still...writing it on the box top does not the contents make.

jb

Appears to be a re-pop of the Testors "Vantastic" from 1998. 1/24 scale (or so mine says on the box).

I haven't built it, but it looks to be a decent kit. Contemporary street rod style frame, suspension, and interior. Chevy LT1 engine. Molding is good overall; tires are a bit weak. Looks like it would build OK out of the box, or the potential is there to do a bit more.

Yeah, the problem is this photo - it shows 1/25!

Are you saying that the Vantastic kit is the one you're looking at?

Yes it is 1/24 scale, it's basically a rebody of the Coddington Smoothster kit, so if you've ever seen that kit you know what you're getting. The kit hasn't been around that long as far as reissues go so there shouldn't be any problems with a lot of flash., but the tires suck, unless they changed formula all the original Testors kits I've had have all had the tires break up after a few months of being put on the wheels, one kit build up I acquired had excellent tires, but the builder of that one sanded the wheels until the tires just fell on the rims, then glued them on, this is still my favorite among the "Smoothster" based kits, unless they figure out a way to fix the roof of the '38 Special.

I don't remember the Smoothster being a "van" . . . as in delivery???

• 2 weeks later...

so whats with this can't make up their mind about whether it is 1/24 or 1/25 scale business?

Apparently, Testors couldn't make up their minds either: the Vantastic I have says 1/24, while the Coupster (based on the same tool) says 1/25.

I haven't tried to measure and scale it out.

• 1 month later...