Model Cars Magazine Forum

WEATHERING CIVILIAN VEHICLES BOOK

Dr. Cranky,

I've been watching your videos...they are great!!!

I have a very serious question though:

If you were to advise someone who is coming back to the hobby after a 25 year hiatus, and they could only buy one of the two books, which book would you advise them to buy?

I've always loved weathered models, trains, planes, military and automotive, and desperately want to start, which book is best for learning how?

Your book, or this new one?

Jeff, just to clarify for the purposes of this forum. My original post was only to ALERT people of the impending release of the book, NOT TO SELL THE BOOK. It's not my book, it's edited by Carlos Cuesta who works for AK-INTERACTIVE. The book is made up of step-by-step articles written by several builders, including DOOZY in Japan and Chuck Doan in the United States.

You will get your money's worth with this book. Marc Reusser's how-to alone is worth the price of admission.

Buying books or DVDs or whatever INSTRUCTION you are seeking only adds to your arsenal of tools. Not everyone needs to invest money in these things, but books and DVDs or videos will cut your learning curve and really help you focus on some out-of-the-norm techniques.

Jeff, just to clarify for the purposes of this forum. My original post was only to ALERT people of the impending release of the book, NOT TO SELL THE BOOK. It's not my book, it's edited by Carlos Cuesta who works for AK-INTERACTIVE. The book is made up of step-by-step articles written by several builders, including DOOZY in Japan and Chuck Doan in the United States.

You will get your money's worth with this book. Marc Reusser's how-to alone is worth the price of admission.

Buying books or DVDs or whatever INSTRUCTION you are seeking only adds to your arsenal of tools. Not everyone needs to invest money in these things, but books and DVDs or videos will cut your learning curve and really help you focus on some out-of-the-norm techniques.

Thanks, Doc!!!!

The very day that you started a thread about this, I had the AK website pulled up, and literally, was about to hit the 'buy' button. I was interrupted, and thought that I would buy it later in the day. When I got back to the computer, I checked the forum before going back to AK's site, and saw your new thread.

Thank you for getting back to me. I still don't know which book to buy. Money isn't growing on trees around here, especially this month. Telling the wife that I now want to spend the better part of a Benjamin on two books really wouldn't be prudent or wise.

Again, thanks!

Jeff, here's a trick I learned a while back. If you ever want to get a book to check it out, go to your public library or school library a make a case to the librarian for ordering it for the library. They listen to their customers indeed. Once they get it, you check it out as many times as you like. And it's all FREE.

Bob, the only way I think you might be able to see the whole book is if you luck out and find it at a show or a at a book store. AK-INTERACTIVE's USA distributor travels around in the North East.

Thanks Doc, Sorry if I might have come off Obstinate if I did. My sincere apologies if so. After watching your many videos online & knowing the work of the other modelers in the publication as well from other media forums are a tribute to the hobby of Modeling alone, I believe this book would make a nice addition to any modelers collection!

Thank you for your reply!

Edited by Gramps2u

Bob, one of the things that we strive to do (have always done) in the Lab-RAT-ory is RECOGNIZE and HIGHLIGHT other builders' models, in particular from all over the world. The talent out there is amazing. Of course, here in the United States, builders continue to break the mold and have--in the last several decades--pushed the hobby into new heights.

No need to apologize, my friend. It's a hobby we all need to enjoy to the fullest. When and if the time ever comes when I cannot build models, I will still enjoy the hobby and the amazing work out there by simply watching.

Jeff, here's a trick I learned a while back. If you ever want to get a book to check it out, go to your public library or school library a make a case to the librarian for ordering it for the library. They listen to their customers indeed. Once they get it, you check it out as many times as you like. And it's all FREE.

That is a good idea, Doc.

I might try it, but my local library isn't too keen on ordering books that their customers want. Sad, but true.

Dr. Cranky,

I tried looking for the book in the surrounding libraries, so I tried our local library since I was supposed to be there anyway.

I asked the head librarian about buying the book, and she looked at me like I was high on crack.

You see, our local library wanted to build a new $36 million dollar facility in the middle of a flood plain, and then spent $150,000 on a marketing campaign trying to sell the idea to the public. They then exercised an option on some land, at a reported $100,000, and an untold amount on architectural drawings, scale models, and the like.

In the mean time, the library tossed about 1/2 of the books in the stacks, trying to pretend that there was a real 'need' for a new library. The shelves look like a ghost town...I kid you not.

The new library went to vote last fall, and the public voted it down 3 to 1.

Now the library says that they don't have enough money to pay the employees, and may have to shut down to save money, and therefore, have not a dime to buy any new books.

Oh, Doc, I forgot to mention that I tried to find the book via inter-library loan.

Of all the libraries that participate in the inter-library system that she was using, there is a single library...I am not making this up...in Spain that has your book.

Well, dang it.

After much contemplation, I decided to buy the Doctor's book. I am fascinated with building junkers. One reason I quit building cars when I was a teenager was because, at the time, back in the 80's, no one was building rusty cars, and everyone I talked to acted like I was a 3 eyed monster when I talked about weathering a car.

I switched to military tanks and WWII aircraft, and never looked back. I did attempt building a junker sometime around '94, but it was pretty much an utter failure because I was only using the paints I had on hand that was left over from my teenage years.

I just tried to buy the good Doctor's book, and it is sold out.

I am disappointed. I have a kit in the mail right now, and was getting super excited about this build.

Back to square one.

Edited by clovis

• 3 months later...

Copies have been shipping to the States already. I suspect this book is going to inspire a whole new generation of model car builders into creating some rusty and weathered gems.

Are you referring to the new book, Doctor?

I finally found one of the Ratz, Rodz and Rust books on ebay, bought it, and it is fantastic!

Thank you, James, I appreciate the kind and heartfelt words. We are simply trying to get more folks to realize how much fun they can have when they weather a model car. My very best wishes to all the great folks over in Wolverhampton.

Edited by Dr. Cranky