Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 GTX "Street Freak"

Modlbldr

I remember it well too John. I was in my senior year of high school in 69/70. I had a 66 Chevelle SS 396 that I had jacked up maybe 3 - 4" by using Gabriel Hi-Jacker shocks in the rear and El Camino springs in the front. Not really high as many other cars were but it still made a heckuva difference in the handling!

I remember it well too John. I was in my senior year of high school in 69/70. I had a 66 Chevelle SS 396 that I had jacked up maybe 3 - 4" by using Gabriel Hi-Jacker shocks in the rear and El Camino springs in the front. Not really high as many other cars were but it still made a heckuva difference in the handling!

I had the same car , same set up .. those were the days ,, stopping at the gas station to pump up the hi-jackers before cruise nights,,, it had to look like a cat in heat !

OMG... we're showing our age. th_blush2.gif

I had a `64 Polara 2 dr. that had it all: Hi-Jackers in the rear, chrome reverse wheels w/baby moons, front torsion bars cranked within an inch of snapping, and good `ol flex-pipe dual exhaust into Hush Thrush mufflers. Man, the memories that car gives me....th_boogiebanana.gif

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the interest shown on this one. I haven't been doing much building lately. Not only have I been busy, but I have not had much interest in building lately. Today though I dug out a spot on the desk and got the suspension finished. I had a couple of shackles and a bunch of resin bolt heads to add. Once I got them done I painted a few coats of flat black over everything. Now I will do some detail painting with other colors. I still need to finish the interior and the engine next.

Sorry, but I don't have any photos of today's progress yet and I am on my phone. I'll update soon.

Later-

• 1 month later...

Tom, this build captured my attention from the moment I laid eyes on it. As a lifelong devotee of Detroit "Heavy Metal", I have to say the car you're building completely typifies the hot rods that I grew to love. Pony cars? Meh. Gimme ladder bars, air shocks, straight axles, and deep dish Cragars any day! (But I do love "chromies" and baby moons, too. I still think mag wheels are better looking than any of the crud that is sold today!)

Don't keep us waiting too long!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You should definitely get back to this one. I didn't used to be a fan of the whole jacked up gasser style( this would be considered a gasser wouldn't it?) but after seeing this build.... They are growing on me quickly! I think it looks bad a$$ for sure!