Model Cars Magazine Forum

KS Pittman 41 Willys Gasser

Dr. Cranky

Hello folks, I just found a copy of this kit at my local hobby shop and I decided to do an unboxing video of it. If you are interested you can check it out at my YOUTUBE channel.

For those of you running low on the 41 Willys kit, this is certainly a wonderful addition to your collection.

Best, DC

Hello folks, I just found a copy of this kit at my local hobby shop and I decided to do an unboxing video of it. If you are interested you can check it out at my YOUTUBE channel.

Simply click on the link at the bottom of my signature.

For those of you running low on the 41 Willys kit, this is certainly a wonderful addition to your collection.

Best, DC

While you say it's a fine kit which it is as I have three built, a couple started and a few unbuilt, all this kit is different decals and NO more as I noticed from your review that Revell still did NOT add another seat which IS required for the gasser classes but not for match racing. Thumbs down for Revell for not fixing this detail.

or you could just contact Revell for one.

Revell will replace missing or defective parts. They won't send you extra parts that are not part of the original load-out. But it's up to the individual to be honest in their requests.

Edited by Lagib

Either buy the kit or don't, we are lucky they redid a whole new willys kit after the tooling on the original wore out, There never is going to be a perfect kit. and they did run that car with only one seat in match race trim and in other sanctioning bodies. Sure it's a omission missing one seat but it's a great kit. My gosh if there are so many race cars kits that are wrong or missing things that if I went by the criteria of a missing part I wouldn't have the joy of owning them and would have nothing to build, thats why we have a thing called scratch building and another thing called a parts box. I think we are lucky that the model companies haven't folded in the economy the last fews year, so I can live with a missing seat.

A bunch of cry babies ? Never satisfied ? I see three people out of twelve that voice an opinion about a kit that they all obviously like, each admitting to having several in their collection. Yes there are flaws in some kits and yes we may wish these same kits could be better. I'd say Kevin, Nick and Joe have been around this board awhile and are entitled to their opinion.

Most people who are seriously into these cars will have at least one of each version issued. For two identical seats, build every other version with the second seat from another Willys kit. The ones you took the seat from could then be built with different seats, either aftermarket castings or from some other kit. Revell had to make the kit "generic" so that it could be issued as several similar cars. But the little details (wheels, valve covers, seats, roll bars, headers) differ to some extent on each car. You'll want to switch a few things around to make each one in your collection look more like the 1:1 car it represents.

• 4 weeks later...

My two cents? It always was a beautiful kit, whether it be the Big John Mazmanian, Stone-Woods-Cooke, or KS Pittman version. Details can always be worked out with a good "spares box", donor kits, or access to aftermarket parts. For example, the Pittman car originally raced with a blown Olds hooked up to a B&M Hydro - a combination that can be gotten from the vintage AMT '40 Willys gasser kits. That would free up the gorgeous 392 Hemi for other applications.

The only real complaint I have about the kit is the matte finish decals. I apprised Revell's Ed Sexton of this at NNL East and he said he is looking into it. Good thing Slixx has an alternative, for now.