Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any tips on what decal making software would be the best? I'd like to start making some "under hood" decals for some of these old annuals, you know, warning labels, valve cover & air cleaner labels etc. It's really hard to find a set of "Golden Lion" valve cover decals for a '65 Chrysler if you know what I mean. :) Anyway, I'd like to set up a page full of small labels & take a disc somewhere with a laser printer to have them printed. I used to have some old "card making" software, but my computer won't run it anymore. (too old I guess) So I'd like to find some good software for creating some nice decals. Any suggestions? Steve

For fairly simple stuff you can simply take a good quality image and shrink it, then use a word program like Microsoft word, open office etc to layout your sheet. You will get some distortion, but by starting with a good large image you can get a respectable result. This is also used by many to make license plates, books or magazines to lay on a seat in a car etc. The big advantage to this method is it has a fairly shallow learning curve and uses programs most people already have on their computers.

The higher end is to use a vector based drawing program like Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. These are what most professional / hard core do it yourselfers are using. These are not cheap programs ($200+) but if you are a student (or have kids in school) you can use them to get a cheaper student version for about 1/2 price. Sometimes you can find an older version on ebay for much less, and they really don't lose much for our use vs getting the latest version.

Inkscape is a free vector drawing program, I have no experience with it, but hey it's free what do you have to lose.

Vector based programs are different from the more common (and generally much cheaper) raster (aka pixel) based programs like Microsoft Paint that you get free with many computers. Raster based programs use tiny dots to make an image, so when you enlarge or shrink the image it actually changes by adding or subtracting pixels. Large changes in size can result in major distortion issues.

Vector based programs use reference points instead of pixels so you can take a small image and blow it up into a huge image or take a large image and shrink it down to a postage stamp with no loss of quality. This not only allows you to rescale for different uses but also allows you to work at a conveiniant size. I frequently work on a decal at about 5-6" which is big enough to see the details well, but small enough that I don't have to pan around the screen much. I shrink it down to 1/2", 1" or whatever as appropriate for the model it is going onto.

The real downside to most vector programs is they have a very steep learning curve and are not particularly intuitive for most people. I've been using Corel Draw about 10 years now and I'm still learning how to do things. It is also somewhat labor intensive. Doing something complex like a city or state seal might involve 6 or 8 hours of drawing time. Something simple like a warning sticker on a commercial truck which is just text on a brightly colored polygon "Don't put your tongue in the fan belt" is pretty easy though, maybe 10 minutes.

Making your own decals is really fun and opens up a lot of new options, but it can be a lot of work.

The other issue is the decals are basically transparent unless you use special printers, so you need to use them over light colors or use white decal paper which creates its own issues.

Edited by Aaronw

Thanks Aaron. That's a little more to take in than this 51 year old basically computer illiterate brain can handle! :D I'm looking to keep it pretty simple, & while I do want nice looking decals, they don't need to be perfect. I've had a little experience printing up some decals with my old "Broderbund" Print Master Card making software from probably 25 years ago. Was still using it until I purchased a new computer. I would just download images from the net, shrink or reshape them & print them on my inkjet. Of course, with an inkjet printer you have issues with the ink coming off so they need sealing. I also had issues with shrinking the images too much & having them wind up far too distorted. I had seen actual "decal maker" software on the net & was wondering if anyone had tried them. I was hoping I could fill up a disc with images & then take them to an Office Max or the like & have them printed on my decal paper on a Laser printer. Maybe I should try "Word" or something first. Although I'm not real familiar with it. :D steve

Well with word, you simply open a table with columns / rows set to provide the size blocks you need. The you insert pictures into the blocks and resize them to your needs. This allows you to control where on the page they will appear much like the business card programs do.

Tables take some practice if you've never used them but not too bad. You can find short video tutorials on youtube to walk you through table use if you are not familiar with setting them up.

I've not seen any specific decal making programs that were of any use beyond maybe providing some useful clip art.

If you buy the Testors decal kit they include a sample of their decal maker software (the full program is $8.95), but I've not heard many praise it's virtues. It's cheap though and from what I understand it works similar to the program you used to have. The testors decal paper is ok, and I rather like their decal sealant in a spray can.

Decals printed on a laser printer still need to be sealed. I prefer a laser printer to inkjet for decals, but there isn't much difference in quality and both will run or smudge if you get heavy handed with the sealant.

Well with word, you simply open a table with columns / rows set to provide the size blocks you need. The you insert pictures into the blocks and resize them to your needs. This allows you to control where on the page they will appear much like the business card programs do.

Tables take some practice if you've never used them but not too bad. You can find short video tutorials on youtube to walk you through table use if you are not familiar with setting them up.

I've not seen any specific decal making programs that were of any use beyond maybe providing some useful clip art.

If you buy the Testors decal kit they include a sample of their decal maker software (the full program is $8.95), but I've not heard many praise it's virtues. It's cheap though and from what I understand it works similar to the program you used to have. The testors decal paper is ok, and I rather like their decal sealant in a spray can.

Decals printed on a laser printer still need to be sealed. I prefer a laser printer to inkjet for decals, but there isn't much difference in quality and both will run or smudge if you get heavy handed with the sealant.

Thanks Aaron. I was under the assumption that if they were printed on a laser printer, they didn't need sealing. So that clears that one up anyway. Steve

Steve, it seems incredible that no aftermarket decal maker offers an under-hood markings sheet (to my knowledge, and I've searched).

I cut up bits and pieces from left-over sheets to loosely approximate some of the markings - totally inaccurate but slightly better than nothing.

(At 64 I'm that much more of a computer dummy than you profess to be.)

Thanks Aaron. I was under the assumption that if they were printed on a laser printer, they didn't need sealing. So that clears that one up anyway. Steve

I thought so to, but I found out that isn't the case. Lasers are less prone to smudging when you apply the sealant though which makes them nicer to work with.

Here is an example of what I was talking about using word for. These are actually just things I set up to print on paper to include as cab details in emergency vehicles (reference books, forms, maps), but would work the same for decals. The numbers are included as a key so I know what everything is supposed to be (print is too small to read on the individual items). You can set the table grid to be invisible so the lines don't print out if you want.

example_zps5cb5cd09.jpg

I thought so to, but I found out that isn't the case. Lasers are less prone to smudging when you apply the sealant though which makes them nicer to work with.

Here is an example of what I was talking about using word for. These are actually just things I set up to print on paper to include as cab details in emergency vehicles (reference books, forms, maps), but would work the same for decals. The numbers are included as a key so I know what everything is supposed to be (print is too small to read on the individual items). You can set the table grid to be invisible so the lines don't print out if you want.

example_zps5cb5cd09.jpg

I started a page like that Aaron & did a test print. Problem is, I'm having trouble getting the images small enough. Steve

Steve, it seems incredible that no aftermarket decal maker offers an under-hood markings sheet (to my knowledge, and I've searched).

I cut up bits and pieces from left-over sheets to loosely approximate some of the markings - totally inaccurate but slightly better than nothing.

(At 64 I'm that much more of a computer dummy than you profess to be.)

I know peter. It ticks me off that there's a thousand decal makers out there making decals for every obscure race car imaginable, but nobody can make a simple warning label for a radiator or a "Diehard" battery decal. Steve

I started a page like that Aaron & did a test print. Problem is, I'm having trouble getting the images small enough. Steve

Yeah, always an issue doing it this way. If you mean you can't physically get them that small vs maintain a useful quality at that size, you can right click on the image and type in your desired dimensions. Usually this method is just a stop gap though, it can provide some detail at a distance, but they are usually just colorful blobs up close. To get really good quality you pretty much have to go with one of the programs I mentioned in my first post.

Anyway it looks like you've found a source to get what you need though. It sounds like there are more interested in these decals than just you, so hope this works out well for all of you.

Edited by Aaronw

His site has good photos of the decal sheets but offers no information as to how or where to order. :blink:

His website has just been put in place & is still incomplete. But if you PM him, I'm sure he will be more than happy to get you hooked up! I haven't ordered anything yet, But I'm going to order a couple of the "mini sheets" of the under hood decals to start with, & then, as soon as I can possibly get something put together, I'm going to have him whip up some custom stuff for me! :) Steve

Hello, all. Yes, I do have those sheets available, but I don't think I'm supposed to be selling stuff on here. I apologize for the website, I'm not finished with it yet, but there SHOULD be a way to contact me on there. Or, you can send me a PM here. Thanks!

underhood_zps220df326.jpg

Well with word, you simply open a table with columns / rows set to provide the size blocks you need.

I only use word for printing the final image, for things like license plates. it's pages are set to printing sizes, so if you set an image to the size required, it'll print at that size. eg i generate a plate at acme and set the image size to 1.2cm (12 inch divided by 1:25 scale). Photoshop works, but it's a lot more of a pain to get sizes correct.

• 5 months later...