Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Plymouth GTX

fitforbattle

The story: In a country on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, Hobbies in general are dieing, and Hobby shops are on the verge of extinction. They exist, but there is nothing Local left in LHS. Everything is on the internet, and with barely a handful of customers store owners can't keep up with the rent, forcing them to close the shops and move the stock to their own basements, selling from their homes.

Can you imagine my childish excitement when I set foot in a hobby shop today. 1 of 4 in a 150 kilometer radius from my home. A real shop! I could smell the boxes, I could feel them, I could sense them, the lumps of plastic just waiting to get transformed into cars and planes and boats. I could grab one. For the first time since 2003 I bought a kit in a real store. The desk clerk must have wondered when I walked up to the counter giggling like a little child. I could grab a kit again.

And I did, I grabbed the first kit a saw...

Which was a 1969 Plymouth GTX. I have no experience with Plymouth at all, and I barely know what to do with it.

I'm kinda feeling like building it pretty stock, maybe some other wheels, some rake, a bit meaner stance.

I really want inspiration. Ideas. Colors, interior colors, maybe something that rolled out of the factory.

Please, keep my happiness up, share my happiness as I will share this build. But most of all, inspire me. Teach me and inform me about these beautiful cars.

Last but not least, sorry for the wall of text. post-8658-0-89359800-1403275905_thumb.jp

My best advice to you would be to Google images for a 1969 GTX. You'll get plenty of ideas for this kit. Then, you can get more specific with more Googles for details for the whole car- engine, interior, chassis, etc. If you want to stay pretty stock, maybe just use big and little tires and wheels, add some styrene spacers under the rear leafs to jack it up a bit, tweak the spindles to drop the nose... The box art colors would look good on that car. But, that's all my opinions. This is your build, you do it your way and enjoy :) . I'll be following.

My best advice to you would be to Google images for a 1969 GTX. You'll get plenty of ideas for this kit. Then, you can get more specific with more Googles for details for the whole car- engine, interior, chassis, etc. If you want to stay pretty stock, maybe just use big and little tires and wheels, add some styrene spacers under the rear leafs to jack it up a bit, tweak the spindles to drop the nose... The box art colors would look good on that car. But, that's all my opinions. This is your build, you do it your way and enjoy :) . I'll be following.

Great pointers. I have never rushed into buying a kit and hardly ever built muscle cars stock hence the questions. Always planned the whole build in advance. I'm really lost in this one.

But google I will and google hard.

Pictures and you own opinions are welcome tho'. I might miss something on the big web.

Wow, the purple. Kinda feeling the Vin Diesel triple-x GTO purple... Hmm. Yellow is great. I have a yellow Ferrari Enzo on the workbench tho'... Orange? Maybe boring with the orange engine...

This one deserves a color. Black/grey/silver/white doesn't seem right. Keep the pics coming.

Robin I liked your experience in getting this kit nothing better than looking over selfs of model kits. I have to agree that yellow is a good color for this body style you can check out my 70 road runner here in yellow with a black stripe on the hood. I used model master Chyrsler PY3 yellow.

Robin I liked your experience in getting this kit nothing better than looking over selfs of model kits. I have to agree that yellow is a good color for this body style you can check out my 70 road runner here in yellow with a black stripe on the hood. I used model master Chyrsler PY3 yellow.

Yellow is great but somehow I don't want to make two yellow cars and my Ferrari has to be yellow because I love it.

Your road runner looks great! Hope my Plymouth will turn out half as good.

Anywhere on the web I can learn more about these cars? Someone might be sitting on a great link. Wikipedia is somewhat only talking about sales and the convertible.

Or if anyone know an essential book.

I really want to know more about these cars.

Thanks.

Robin, here's one I built wearing Candy Apple Green. It's a good kit, but the foil work on the rear window is going to be difficult, the trim is barely there!

Yes... BMF... Never used it. Will probably mess this up hundreds of times until I'm happy. The candy apple Green looks amazing.

Anywhere on the web I can learn more about these cars? Someone might be sitting on a great link. Wikipedia is somewhat only talking about sales and the convertible.

Or if anyone know an essential book.

I really want to know more about these cars.

Thanks.

Here's some specifications http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_plymouth_gtx.html

Here's some different photos http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/ccrp_0907_1969_plymouth_gtx/photo_06.html

As far as learning about the orgins and other things, wikipedia is the only website I could find.

Hope I helped.

Don't forget eBay Motors when it comes to finding nice detailed pics of this car. The more expensive the car, the more pictures you're likely to see. eBay is one of my first go-to places when I'm trying to find good pics (including the underside) of any given car.

Also, you can check out here for a '69 GTX under restoration..........some nice pics there. ;)

Here's some specifications http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_plymouth_gtx.html

Here's some different photos http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/ccrp_0907_1969_plymouth_gtx/photo_06.html

As far as learning about the orgins and other things, wikipedia is the only website I could find.

Hope I helped.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

First thing I get when I open the plastic bags at home is a instant setback. Chassi looks like this. FUN.

post-8658-0-15417600-1403363496_thumb.jp

Don't forget eBay Motors when it comes to finding nice detailed pics of this car. The more expensive the car, the more pictures you're likely to see. eBay is one of my first go-to places when I'm trying to find good pics (including the underside) of any given car.

Also, you can check out here for a '69 GTX under restoration..........some nice pics there. ;)

Thanks Bill! Didn't think of eBay. Sweden has its own part of eBay called Tradera, and it's not used for vehicles.