Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 AMC AMX Drag On Lady

W-409

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Jim! Now Shirley is ready to sit on AMX frontfender. Oh yeah, it's not ready jet so Shirley can sit on some other car. :lol: Anyway, I painted clothes with white, blue and red, as AMC colours are. I had to do some re-working on Shirley, the head was badly. I mean, Shirley saw only his feet, nothing else. Now the head is rightly in place and she's waving to the crowd. Hair is painted by my own mix.

P9180287.jpg

P9180288.jpg

P9180289.jpg

Comments welcome!

Thank you all for the replies! There came no hood with Mustang, have to buy one... And all what khart said, is true. And as you all can see from that picture, Johnny posted, Shirley had fair hair. That's great picture, it would help with building Shirley very much. I didn't find that picture from anywhere, I had only a few pics from Shirley. But now, back to the bench and again, thank you for those replies!

• 2 months later...

Here is a little update to you guys! I have sanded that interior "floor" now. It's pretty good, I think, next step is to make those door panels better, the work with them has begun, but maybe tomorrow I'll get something to show from them... I have been thinking of flocking that carpet but I'm not sure yet...

Rear axle isn't so simple thing. I borrowed AMT's AMT Matador rear axle and some plasticine to copy two rear axles. Other one is for Javelin. I pushed those rear axle halves to that plasticine and put that to freezer for 15 minutes. When I took it away from there, I took those axle halves away from plasticine and with bondo, I filled those axle molds. In the morning, I took that bondo away from that plasticine and then I took those copied rear axle halves away from the putty "sheet". Glued them together with Araldit and then some bondo and sanding, now it needs some more bondo and sanding...

PC040308.jpg

PC040316.jpg

Comments are welcome.

Continues.... I have test fitted the rear axle right now. I'm using The Parts Box resin leaf springs, they fit fine and I must just make them little shorter... I removed those Matador's control arms, I must build AMX control arms from scratch... I also fitted the rear tires, they fit fine and front tires are just for mock up. I'm hunting '67 Mustang front axle system, but it seems to be very hard to find one...

PC050324.jpg

PC050325.jpg

PC050323.jpg

PC050322.jpg

PC050321.jpg

• 6 months later...

Working with the door panels now. First I scribed the details to look bit more sharp. I used the Trumpeter's panel scriber. Also building the door handles to the panel. The other side has now those two handles. Other one is made from styrene. I glued some metal wire, presenting the chromed trims, painted it black, and center is wooden. Those trims must be still painted. Other one is just made from solder. I must make same handles for the other side also, then flocking the carpet, and painting the door panels...

P1210217.jpg

P1210219.jpg

Wow, how bad they actually look in SuperMacro picture. :unsure:

Now I'm going to European Championchip drag race here, Finland! In European Championchip standings, Top Fuel leader is Tommy Johnsson JR, but on the second place, Risto Poutiainen from FINLAND! And in Pro Stock, Sampsa Palos from Finland is the leader. He moved to Pro Stock just a little time ago, his first race with Pro Stock was last year Finals in Santa Pod, England.

Niko, just a little tip to help you out--------------I would totally cut the side panels away in your interior and work with them that way. It'll make it much easier to do your scribing and painting. When you're done, you could then reattach them as before and it might save you a lot of swearing! :lol:

Here's a couple pics of something similar I did when I was building my '49 Mercury...........I've come to hate tub interiors since they intro'd the platform style some years ago.

P2143738-vi.jpg

P2283742-vi.jpg

Keep the pics coming! As you can tell by my avatar............I LOVE AMX'S!

Edit: Whoops! Sorry if my reply seemed out of turn............I didn't see the little disclaimer at the top of the page, until I clicked on the "Add Reply" button and my comment was added! :lol: Gregg, you can delete this if you'd like............sorry!

Edited by MrObsessive

Niko, just a little tip to help you out--------------I would totally cut the side panels away in your interior and work with them that way. It'll make it much easier to do your scribing and painting. When you're done, you could then reattach them as before and it might save you a lot of swearing! B)

Yes, that would be a good idea. But I was just thinking that if I cut them to single pieces, can I glue them nicely to the interior floor anymore... Don't know, what I'll be doing with them, of course the interior is getting close to painting, so maybe I just let them be and just make the other side modifications too... But for the Javelin, I might cut those door panels off from the floor, because it needs lot more cutting and work... ;)

• 3 months later...

Finally an update... It has been long time, but now I'm making a bit of progress.

Those door handles, I made from styrene on the last update, I built new ones. They are bit thinner than old ones, and lots of cleaner, they look bit bad on those super macro pictures, but live they are looking much better. I painted the center part of them brown to simulate wood, it needs to be cleared. Then I painted some black, but I didn't realize to use masking tape, so I must do a bit of cleanup before installing those parts.

Also painted the wheels. I painted some gloss black around the bolts of them. I removed paint off from those bolts, so they are chromed. Center knob is painted with clear blue from Revell, then I removed paint from that Gragar-text. Interior floor is now painted matt black and then I put some flocking there, as a carpet. Tomorrow I remove all unnecessary flocking, and then I can start painting the door panels. Pedals needs to be built also, I'm not going to use those from the kit. Also added some styrene to that subframe, it will be the basis of new inner fenders.

PA120135.jpg

First picture shows those door handles on progress, on the lower picture they are how they look right now, needs to do a lot of cleaning etc...

PA120138.jpg

PA120142.jpg

PA120140.jpg

PA120143.jpg

Now I removed all needless flocking from the floor. I painted door panels semigloss black, but there's still bit of cleaning before gluing other parts to those door panels. Tomorrow I'm going to install window cranks, door handles and maybe seats too. Let's have a see. There's not much flocking over those cardboard-pieces, but seats will cover that mistake. I'm going to scratchbuild pedals, original ones can't be seen from finished interior anymore, so I don't have to worry about them. Also little carpet to driver's side under those pedals needs to be done. Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

PA130144.jpg

PA130145.jpg

PA130148.jpg

Bit more putty to that chassis also, hope after sanding this, it'll be smooth.... :rolleyes:

PA130147.jpg

Just a little update. Worked with the door panels. I glued door handles on, and installed window cranks from '66 Olds 442's photoetch parts. Pictures aren't good, that interior looks really bad in these pictures, but it's better in live. I also started working on the pedals, but they are still WIP, so maybe tomorrow I can post picture of them. Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

PA140152.jpg

PA140153.jpg

PA140155.jpg

• 2 months later...

Little update on this build too. I built set of pedals. Since there's manual transmission, I took two dashboards, and they both had only gas and brake pedal. I cut those pedal parts seperate, and built new rods from metal tube. I think, they look pretty good, and much better than those original parts. Next I'm moving on to dashboard, it still doesn't look right.

PC200215.jpg

• 6 months later...

I am going to do the same kit, the front end is still unclear to me, i see what you cut out but what did you put in, also wondering about sox and martin boss cuda chassis, engine is great, chassis is not. same with 64 dodge, re-charge, what can i do witht he hoakey front end, an axle goes thru the oil pan, but the rest is nice, the engines and bodies are awesome on these kits, Headers too. any help woul d be appreciated

I'm planning to install the front suspension from AMT '67 Ford Mustang. It looks pretty close to AMX suspension. I haven't found those Front Axle parts anywhere, and I don't have money to buy a new kit right now. But that's what I'll be using. Inner Fenders will be built using again those Mustang parts as a Basis. I have those inner fenders, but haven't seen any front axles on my bench. :lol:

I'm building the Sox&Martin Cuda too. I filled holes from the engine, and I'm not going to use that Metal Axle anymore. New front axle will be taken from Revell's '71 Cuda, which I have some where.

It's true, engines and bodies are really nice in these kits. That's what keeps me going on these builds. Actually thanks for the Bump. Needs to get back on the AMX too.

If I didn't explain good enough, feel free to ask more questions, and I'll try to answer them. ;)

• 7 months later...

Wow, my old WIP thread has reborn! :lol:

For the front suspension, I will use parts from AMT '67 Mustang, but since no one has offered me the front axle parts only, I guess I have to buy brand new kit for that. I think the biggest problem is making those front inner fenders. Okay, I do have those Mustang parts, but I have started to wonder if it would be easier to completely scratchbuild those inner fenders than using Mustang parts as a basis... Well let's see.

I can't wait to see your build, Eric. There can never be enough AMC Drag Cars! B)

Wow, my old WIP thread has reborn! :lol:

For the front suspension, I will use parts from AMT '67 Mustang, but since no one has offered me the front axle parts only, I guess I have to buy brand new kit for that. I think the biggest problem is making those front inner fenders. Okay, I do have those Mustang parts, but I have started to wonder if it would be easier to completely scratchbuild those inner fenders than using Mustang parts as a basis... Well let's see.

I can't wait to see your build, Eric. There can never be enough AMC Drag Cars! B)

When I did this kit I used the chassic from the 67 AMT Mustang kit and front enter fenders. Had to remove a section from the frame thats it to make it fit. Nice job by the way so far would love to get my hands on this kit thats for sure.

John Pol

Niko I revived the thread searching for idea's on how to fix the old school chassis. I had intentions of building mine in the typical R/W/B AMC color scheme as a Hurst S/S car. The front suspension stopped me dead in my tracks. I even looked for donor chassis's and ended up buying an old MPC Matador but never opening the kit as the project got shelved for other things.