Model Cars Magazine Forum

malco gasser

cummins05

Ok got a few questions on the malco gasser ohio george montgomery mustang engine colors and such. Does anyone have some good pictures and perhaps some helpful info on this car it will be my first that I plan to plumb up and run wires and all that. Thanks

Edited by cummins05

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you want to "detail" a car, a good place to start might be getting the name right. It's MAL-CO...not MAL-COM. See the difference? No "M" at the end of the word.

And for photos and other information, have you heard of doing a google search? It's really easy and produces many pictures like this (and the fotki link above) with a little effort on your part.

malcoeng.jpg

Here's a brief excerpt from an article on how this first Mustang gasser came to evolve from the Willys, and on to the building of Montgomery's "Mr. Gasket Gasser" Mustang later on. Quoted from www.mustangandfords.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Montgomery revolutionized the NHRA's "Gasser" class in 1967 with his "Malco Gasser" '67 Mustang fastback. Previously, he had been winning with a supercharged '33 Willys coupe. Running elapsed times in the high 8-second range at about 160 mph, his record-setting Willys caught Ford's attention in the early 1960s.

Montgomery remembers getting a call around 1964: "Ford wanted me to do a 289 program but I wasn't interested in that. So I kind of let it go at that." Running supercharged Cadillac and Chevy small-blocks in his Willys, Montgomery was on top of the drag racing world. So he stayed with GM.

"Then I got beat at the 1965 Nationals," he explains. "That devastated me because I was used to winning. I had to make a change, so I called Ford back."

Once again, Ford asked Montgomery to run the 289. He was more interested in the 427 Cammer. Parts were scarce at that time, but to get Ohio George into the Ford camp, his contact, Charlie Gray, managed to round up some 427 Cammer pieces.

"Gray put me in the Lincoln-Mercury group," Montgomery adds. "At the time they also had Fast Eddie Schartman and Dyno Don Nicholson."

Montgomery began running and winning with the 427 Cammer in his Willys. But Ford wanted him in a Ford body, not a Willys.

"I went to one of the Ford racing banquets and Charlie Gray was bragging about the Willys whipping all the Gassers," Montgomery says. He recalls that one of the Ford executives was named "Frey," most likely Donald Frey, one of the product planners on the original Mustang.

Montgomery remembers Frey's comment: "Don't we sell Fords?"

"Frey wasn't impressed with the Willys because it wasn't a Ford body," Montgomery adds. “So Gray told me to build a '67 Mustang Gasser. I asked him how was I supposed to do that. He said, 'Just do it.'"

With advice from the NHRA, Montgomery lengthened the Willys frame to fit a '67 Mustang body. When he rolled the '67 Mustang—the world's first late-model Gasser—into tech at Bristol, Tennessee, for the Spring Nationals in 1967, the inspectors were confused.

Before then, Gassers had been 1930s to mid-1950s production cars, like Montgomery's previous '33 Willys coupe or other flying lunch boxes like the '55 Chevy. On these wild rides, Roots superchargers were common, along with mechanical fuel injection, straight front axle, fiberglass body panels, stripped interiors, and flamboyant paintjobs. Montgomery's Mustang broke with tradition but still fit the technical rules of the Gasser class. The tech inspectors eventually deemed the car legal. But with glassed-over headlights and grille with a slick body, the '67 Mustang held an aerodynamic advantage over Gassers based on antique car bodies."

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Wow you guys sure are nice. Heaven for bid if I made a mistake that was my first post on this forum and I feel very welcomed thankyou

Don't let that bug Ya Jarred.... If you're not messing up, you're not doing anything... :D

Keep building for " the fun of it ".... and enjoy the hobby...!

Paul supplied some great reference photos in the first reply..!

Good luck in your project...!

And Welcome to the forum...!

Edited by Davemodeltech

Wow you guys sure are nice. Heaven for bid if I made a mistake that was my first post on this forum and I feel very welcomed thankyou

NOT for bid it's one word, not two - FORBID - Anyways, I'm just pointing out the error; not trying make fun of it; in any way. :blink:

You forgot to point out thankyou is two words......

What has gotten into everybody on here? This did not used to be an English class!! If it was, several of our posters would not do so well!

I had to say I had been on the board 2 or 3 times and had not clicked on this thread as I figured I would have no interest in the malcom gasser. It was only tonight I thought "could they possibly have meant Malco"?

We where just having fun, but yes, a quick internet search will almost always do the job for reference material.

Most of us have done our homework and looked up most of this stuff if we don't have reference material ourselves. If one hits a real wall on info, this is where you would pick up the search.

And most folks here, including myself, will help out. Just at least show us you put some effort into researching the subject.

Was that worth it? Being a jerk to a new guy on the forum? He could have ended being a contributing member, but I doubt he'll be back.

NOT for bid it's one word, not two - FORBID - Anyways, I'm just pointing out the error; not trying make fun of it; in any way. :blink:

How are you pointing out his grammatical error when you used two unnecessary semi-colons in your sentence? Are you freaking kidding? I just got a brain tumor from reading that.

Was that worth it? Being a jerk to a new guy on the forum? He could have ended being a contributing member, but I doubt he'll be back.

How are you pointing out his grammatical error when you used two unnecessary semi-colons in your sentence? Are you freaking kidding? I just got a brain tumor from reading that.

:wacko: Chill out Cam, I stated in the post that I didn't want to make fun of the guy, I am far from being a grammatical genius & I'll be the first to point that fact out, I was just trying to help correct a word..........you go play with your semi-colons ....... I'll play with my styrene - good luck with that tumor :lol:

Edited by Krazy Rick

CammerEngine-vi.jpg

5242420922_caa7db6163_o-vi.jpg

malco-vi.jpg

And an alternative scheme

0000649165364_408259_4072808_n-vi.jpg

etGasserMustangLaunchFrontView-vi.jpg

Hope these help get you started.

Just to clear things up a bit, the red Mr Gasket Gasser was a later 69-70 Mustang body style, the blue Malco Gasser was the earlier 67-68.
Underneath was the Malco Gasser and the first version of the Mr Gasket Gasser pretty much the same except for a couple of things and the MPC model kits of the two were the same except for the body and decals, the engine in the real car was later changed from a blown "Cammer" to the dual turbo Boss 429.

Edited by Force

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you want to "detail" a car, a good place to start might be getting the name right. It's MAL-CO...not MAL-COM. See the difference? No "M" at the end of the word.

Are you kidding me? Is this how you would address this, for real! I use to admire your talents and the informative way you went about your builds, but really? Your gonna bash a newbie for making a honest mistake? You don't know anything about Jarred, where he comes from, what may have brought him to this site, or even how old he is for that matter.

This is a perfect example of what is wrong with forums today, even the great HP didn't think there was anything wrong with the way this thread was going!

What a bunch of losers, Bill you should consider a new screen name: take out the "CE" and put in a couple of " S' "

And by the way I hope this isn't to harsh for you....