Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Cuda (ex S&M by JoHan)

stump

Hey guys, thought I'd share my progress (slow) on this Cuda buildup, with some prompting from Cruz..thanks mate. :(

It's an old JoHan Sox & Martin Pro Stock which I'm transforming into a streeter....It's been in my stash for ages, and I'd pretty much given up doing anything to it because I was a little disappointed with the "basic" chassis....I was probably expecting a bit much I guess...remembering that it IS old tooling.....

Don't get me wrong...it IS still a great kit, but I'm a details sort of guy and wanted something a bit better.....

Anyway...it sat, opened, unstarted for a year or two....then I happened to meet a fellow modeller online, Frank K. Frank had started building the same kit....but had/has very fine plans for it..... :huh:

It called for an Amt '71 Charger as a doner. From this kit, Frank cut, sectioned, carved and manipulated the chassis to fit right under the Cuda body work.....His attension to detail left me speechless.......Great skill and craftmanship, to say the least....

It is Frank's work, which has inspired me, to follow his lead and create this detailed build, thank you mate. ;)

Following these couple of pics, I'll leave a direct link to my Fotki. Theres an extra pic or 40 there showing the build to date..as well as a link to Frank's page, where you can oggle this talented man's own work..you won't be disapponted..I promise.....

This is a kindof recap, and I haven't got much farther on it, as I've been trying to get a couple of others done as well....

70CUDA008002-vi.jpg

I made up this hood...sortof an AAR style....

70CUDA008003-vi.jpg

The rear chassis rails (laminated plastic formed to shape) were moved a couple of scale inches (2mm) inboard to accomodate the mini-tubs..needed to clear the monster BFG T/A's......

70CUDA008007-vi.jpg

The complete boot floor, from behind the rear seat area is scratchbuilt and a seperate fuel tank is yet to be fitted.

I really want to get in and get this one done soon....it has been a fun build to date, and I couldn't have done it without Frank's help.

I would never have thought to shorten a Charger chassis to fit....but hey, it works a treat...

Pics and Frank's link here...>> CUDA...

Thanks for looking, hope you like.....

More soooon

cheers

Greg

Thank you George. ;)

I'm glad you like it mate. It is a bit like assembling a 1:1 too..My nephew always says I have too much time on my hands...lol..

I reall hope to get some more done pretty soon. I have the paint lined up, and have received my custom decals from Keith Marks, so....it's looking good for a copletion....something I haven't achieved in a while... :huh:

Stay tuned George.

cheers

Greg

Greg, I like where this is going! :lol:

Using the '71 Charger's chassis is a good idea as ChryCorp cars were pretty much the same underneath from '71 on. They just need to be changed a little to suit different models.

The inner fenders as well as the firewall would be a good choice too as they were about identical.

Somewhere on my hard disc I have the original pics of what Frank did to the '71 Charger chassis when I was on the HH board............need to try and find 'em 'cuz they're going to come in handy for me down the road! :blink:

Beautiful work from both you and Frank. Thanks for the links so we can play catch-up. I’ll be following this one closely. There’s much to learn from the techniques you employ and the resourcefulness of some of your solutions. Also, it’s gonna be a very pretty car when it’s done. Nice hood and stance, very real looking and graceful.

Greg, I like where this is going! :D

Using the '71 Charger's chassis is a good idea as ChryCorp cars were pretty much the same underneath from '71 on. They just need to be changed a little to suit different models.

The inner fenders as well as the firewall would be a good choice too as they were about identical.

Somewhere on my hard disc I have the original pics of what Frank did to the '71 Charger chassis when I was on the HH board............need to try and find 'em 'cuz they're going to come in handy for me down the road! ;)

Bill, thank you very much mate.. B)

Yes, I have folders full of helpfull detail pics, thanks to Frank..plus some great links to his resouces..He's a great guy. :D

Bill, the fantastic work both you and Frank do have been my two major influences in my recent years..I thank you both.

To me....it's the difference between "building a scale replica", and "assembling a plastic model kit"......worlds apart..... :P

I've deviated away from where Frank is going with his, only slightly, as mine will be a "road" car, not race. I still have far to go and hope to get back to it before too long....

Thanks again for stopping by, and if you feel there is something that could be improved......I'm all ears... :lol:

cheers

Greg

Beautiful work from both you and Frank. Thanks for the links so we can play catch-up. I’ll be following this one closely. There’s much to learn from the techniques you employ and the resourcefulness of some of your solutions. Also, it’s gonna be a very pretty car when it’s done. Nice hood and stance, very real looking and graceful.

Thank you Bernard for your very kind comments. B)

It's extremely satisfying, but also very humbling at the same time, to hear such about my work mate.

I have picked up tricks and techniques from various builders over the years, two of whom are Bill and Frank. I simply use their ideas and adapt them to what I'm working on..

If some of what I create rubbs off on someone else, that's more satisfying than building it myself.

Stay tuned Bernard, hope to update before too long....

cheers

Greg

Thanks for posting this build here Gregg, definetly a car worth showing in this forum specially w/ the level of detail you are adding to that. I will be storing my spare Johan Cuda body w/ my 71 AMT Charger to do more or less the same thing you are doing on yours. Keep us posted man!!! :rolleyes::(

Thank you Marcos. :rolleyes:

Mate, yeah..I really want to get back on this badly....I'm hoping to in the coming weeks...

Just need to sort a couple of jobs around the home first......home renovations...well. home painting anyways..... :(

All is packed away, rooms stripped....ready for painters to cut loose..... :o

Once things settle down and I can bare the smell.......I'll be back at the bench... :o

cheers mate

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to get a little done over the weekend....had to scratch around to dig it out of hibernation..... :angry:

1:1 house painting project....the guys are coming round tomorrow, weather is ###### today........so I guess I'll be helping there.......s'long as I don't get in the way.. :(

I decided to re-attach the drip rail molding around the roof line..They were very fine and got sanded off initially....and I'd decided to go with the "clean" look...Having put'em back on...I'm glad I did. Looks better....

Also opened up the fuel filler behind the number plate...haven't fully worked out what I'll do here..... <_<

Started removing the trunk last night and finally got it free this morning....man, what a tuff one....Added a lip around the exposed edge and I'll add hinges later...

I then tackled the front end.....I made up some steering links from solder, drilled them to suit and set it up, just for a trial fit..

I know the nuts and the bolt I used are over-scale....but it should look ok when done....I hope..Once I'm happy with it's function, I'll add a drag-link (?) to it. It will give the option of posing the wheels either way..

Here's a couple of pics for yous...

The new drip rail

cuda090608005-vi.jpg

Boot, or trunk if you prefer, fuel inlet...

cuda090608003-vi.jpg

Front end steering bits...

cuda090608010-vi.jpg

I should get some more done by later today.....the weather isn't really that much fun today, so no good for working outside..

Check back later guys, thanks.

Greg

Nice work, looking good!

Thanks Jery.

Progress is slow, but it's getting there.....

Last day or two I've made/modified the radiator panel (JoHan original) to accept a larger "aftermarket" radiator..and adapted the fit to the Amt inner guards...Did some more on the interior, including making the drivers seat look like it's had a couple of years use....they are/were very convex....like they had too much padding in them.....I heated the seat and carefully pressed it so it looks a lot flatter, concave maybe....Now at least you sit in it, not on it.....

Made up the torque boxes for the rear as well....

With some luck and decent weather, I may get some colour shot around tomorrow.....Pics to follow......

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, progress is not what you'd call, lightning fast..... :lol: , but I have progressed.......

I did manage a colour coat the other week, still need to mask and apply the second colour......maybe next w/end......

The front'n'rear marker lights (park lights.?) will be added, they're on the decal set from Keith Marks.

cuda220608003-vi.jpg

The chassis has the main brake line run, fuel lines will follow once the tank is in place.....I could've done with some more overspray under here, but once some black and brown wash goes on, it should look ok....

cuda220608006-vi.jpg

Wheels are stock and wide Mopar (?) steelies....they'll have Mopar dogdish caps added...

cuda220608011-vi.jpg

The dash has been drilled for gauges to be added, again, from the beaut decal set from Keith. I scribed the panel lines around the glovebox a bit deeper as well...It's sprayed with Mr. Model/Mr Hobby (?) rattle can. I was really impressed with the coverage of this paint.. :lol: The interior tubb was extended at the front to reach the firewall...it gives it more depth. I'll add some semi-gloss to the seat areas as well as the door panels.

cuda220608016-vi.jpg

cuda220608014-vi.jpg

All going well, I can wrap this one up in the coming weeks...I should get the interior and most of the chassis out of the way this week...The Hemi is still in da shop, but nearly ready to fire..... :lol:

Bit more action here...Cuda workshop

More soon gang....stay tuned......

Greg

Cool build, mate! You know, it's funny what you said about the Jo-Han chassis, 'cuz I've had the same thoughts too!!! I used to think it was a very nice kit, with all the details, engine and so on. But looking at that chassis now, jeez man, no detail whatsoever!! And I happen to have, I think,... a spare '71 Charger chassis....? have to go look for it now :lol:

Ha-hah, found it! I bought a started project, a '62 Dodge Dart convertible, that someone had already grafted the chassis and inner fenders from a '71 Charger. Then as a bonus, there's another complete chassis in the box, but it looks more like a Road Runner chassis. Fuel tank is long and narrow on this one, whereas on the first chassis, it's more square in shape. It IS the Road Runner chassis, compared it to one I have in another project; a '70 Coronet Pro Street kit that's converted to stock. Started this before AMT released the Coronet in stock form...... :lol: Oh well..... maybe this means I can "deep-six" the old Jo-Han chassis.... :P:lol:

Thanks guys.. :rolleyes:

Hans, cheers mate. Yes, doing the chassis this way with the 71 Charger parts is a bit fiddley, but worth it in the long haul...If you have the bits spare to do it, go for it..If you check Frank K's link from my Fotki page, it'll go through the whole process in better detail than what I've actually shown....Frank's work is amazing..... B);)

Marcos, she's getting closer mate....I'll be a bit sad to see it finished..(in a weird, twisted kinda way... :lol: ..)

Bill, yes, I'm a bit of a blue fan....This one is Tamiya TS-50 Mica Blue, over Tamiya FINE White primer. Really pleased with how it turned out..Hope the second colour doesn't over power it......

I'm thinking that once the underside receives some subtle weathering, it'll look ok, hey.. ;)

Did a small update earlier...assembled the wheels/tyres, and sprayed the front buckets (forgot them yesterday.... :lol: ..)

Hope to tidy up and finish the interior the next night or two...

cheers

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Been getting little bits done here...in between house painting/renovations...... :blink:

Final colour coats are on, decals are on..(thanks Keith...awesome decals.)just waiting on a good day for clearcoat...Was going to be today, but mother nature decided other wise... B)

I probly got the decals made a shade dark...barely visible, but that's the look I was after anyways....Very subtle to say the least..but get the right light angle, and they do pop.... ;)

Also got all the foiling done.....gee, I like foiling...... :lol:

cuda060708006-vi.jpg

cuda060708001-vi.jpg

Wheels are almost there...just need to add valve stems. The "caps" are not Mopar correct, I just had'em in the box..Huge thanks to George53..Cheers man.

cuda060708010-vi.jpg

The motor hasn't escaped some attention...Pulleys by MCG, dizzy from Detail Master. I used the twin-plug heads from the kit, running single plug set up...Large Dominator sits atop a custom 4-bbl manifold, again, not Mopar typical, but it does the job. Photo-etched linkages are there as well. The headers are from Revell, I added collectors with tiny pins ground to hex shape with hex nuts added.

cuda060708014-vi.jpg

cuda060708016-vi.jpg

With some luck, this may get wrapped up over the next week or two......

Thanks for your time guys.

cheers

Greg

More pics here...>>

How in the world did I miss this post? That is just awesome, love the color and body work. Simething to really appreciate.

:huh: ..Thanks Clay.

Yeah, progress isn't continuous on this one...long time between posts and it gets left behind..... :rolleyes: .. :blink:

Should be able to add it to the "completed section" soon..... :huh:

:P ###### Stumpman that ride is cumin out AWESOME!!! I do like the color! And with the steel wheels it looks ready to prowl!Great job Bro, keep it up,EETS LOOOKEEN GOOOOD!!! :blink:

:P:rolleyes: Thanks George.

Yep, those are the first set of your caps gettin put to good use.. ;)

Looks waaay better than the "stock" steelies I was going to use originally.....Thanks mate. :huh:

I'm a big fan of the colour too.....bit of a blue boy at heart...*notice I didn't say blue oval boy* :huh:

Looks good man, your'e almost there, keep us posted! Love the decal color choice on this man!!! :huh:

Cheers Marcos. :rolleyes:

Yes, I wanted the decals to be understated......didn't wish to draw too much attention to it...I like subtle things. :blink: