Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Pontiac GTO Super Stocker??

BIRD67

Actually, It's a great kit. It has the 70's style Nascar Late Model Sportsman chassis w/180 degree exhaust and a generic big block chevy engine. The GTO body was a retooled MPC GTO, but the body can be swapped out using any 1/25 GM intermediate (actually, the chassis can be easily shortened for use with a Camaro, Nova, etc.). I've waited for years hoping this kit would be reissued and have bought several copies. The same chassis was also used for the Jegs Camaro, Dick Trickle Mustang, and also a Dodge Challenger Stocker back in the 70's. It can be built up as either a dirt track or asphalt stock car.

Excellent! Thank you both! I am going to convert it into a stock 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge Ram Air III.. What would you reccomend for a chassis? I have been thinking about the AMT '69 Oldsmobile Cutlass, But then I remembered that the Revell 1966 Pontiac GTO has a nice chassis as well... Which should I use, I want this replica to be as accurate as it can be..

Thanks for the tip Mark, but I have already made up my mind to do my conversion.. I can always combine it with the 1972 Pontiac GTO.. Besides, I do not like to work with resin,unless it is the easy stuff like spoilers...I am only 14...I have plans to hack the wheel wells out of the '72 Goat and do a swap and put them on the 1970.. Do you have any pictures of what's inside of the box? I would like to see the body before I buy the kit so I can print it and make notes as for what to do.. Thank you for the help! Nothing that styrene,putty and a few X-acto blades can't fix!

Your build sounds interesting but as Mark said it will take a lot of work, i say go for it. If you want to see the kit before you start i posted my finished model in the Under Glass section it's abut 6 pages back now under GTO stock car. The pics should give you a good idea of what it looks like and good luck with your build.

• 12 years later...
6 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

I wonder whatever happened to the retooled MPC version (with separate front clip) that could be built stock from circa 1987?  I don't think it was ever reissued IIRC.

I have an unbuilt one I bought sometime in the late '80s, don't remember exactly when. Dunno why it hasn't been reissued. Did it get reworked as the oft-reissued '72? 

Pretty sure the one-off MPC/Ertl '70 was reworked from the '72 body, and later reworked back.  A look at the inside of that '70 body would confirm or dispute this...if the inside is super smooth/shiny, the '70 would indeed be a conversion of the '72.  The finish on the inside of that body goes back to when it was molded in clear for use in the Pearson/Vallo NASCAR GTO kit.

26 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I have an unbuilt one I bought sometime in the late '80s, don't remember exactly when. Dunno why it hasn't been reissued. Did it get reworked as the oft-reissued 

The original '70 annual/promo had the GTO front clip molded to the body.  The '70 reissued in the mid '80's had it as a separate part.  The '72 was reissued before and after this release of the '70.  So, it has to be two different body tools unless they have an "insert" for the '72 style front bumper and lower front fender vents like Mark stated. 

Edited by the other Mike S.

31 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Not interested in this, have several of the reissues of the stock '70 and '72 along w/ a '71 annual.   Would be neat to see the '72 reissued in this version, though:

39-yr-mpc-1972-pontiac-gto-screamin_1_0c808e097951d2573e3ebebbc9c3a9ec.jpg

At least they didn't destroy the wheel wells for that version.  I could never understand why they would ruin a body for a pro stock/racer version.  Even when I was 10 years old, I could radius the wheel wells of a stock body.  

The reason those bodies got hacked and later restored is that bodies are the most costly parts to tool (possibly excepting tires, but tires are used in many different kits).  MPC in particular tried to get more use out of their kit bodies.  Promo, annual kit, funny car or pro stock body, all in one model year.  That's why you saw things like Dodge Coronet funny cars and '72 GTO pro stockers which you never saw in the real world.