Model Cars Magazine Forum

My personal feelings about Issue #158's contents....

well my personal feelings on issue #158 (which i have not yet seen by the way, so its obviously a pretty hollow opinion) is that i am overjoyed to see my lakester in there. excellent piece of writing to accompany it too if i may say so myself! :unsure:

actually i do enjoy articles on things way out of my realm of interest like tractors and diecasts...i find i can appreciate the work put into something without really loving the subject matter and hardly an article passes where i dont learn something, some new technique or tip.

I used to see a guy in Hamilton, MT, ride his cart (on the side of Highway 93) pulled by an ox to the bar. So, an oxcart could be in MCM. Hmm...that's a good idea...

ERIK, in my book that would make an absolutely GREAT and lasting DIORAMA, which DEFINITELY BELONGS in MCM! :unsure:

And here all the time I always thought ANYTHING smaller than 1:1 was a model! :unsure:

Just because YOU didn't build it doesn't necessarily make it not so. Did that make sense?

Edited by MikeeD

AMT stands for "Aluminum Model Toys", now a days they are not made from aluminum or considered toys !!! :unsure:

here's what Wikipedia says about the topic of "Model Cars"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_car

Most of the parts for this diorama came out of AMT kits or made from scratch, the figure and the tree are for G scale trains and the wood came from my back yard

001-18.jpg

I know there are a lot of people who cross-hobby... IE collect / modify / rebuild diecasts & do the same w/ plastic kits - but there is also an underlying displeasing feeling- almost a resentment, toward diecasts that emanates from a lot of people.

Yes, I've collected diecast models longer than I've built styrene models...in a lot of different scales. I've always viewed styrene models, resin, diecast,promos, etc all as interesting aspects of the same automobile replica hobby.. besides, some subjects will never be available in styrene kit form, but only as a diecast.

I don't get hung up on the built vs unbuilt aspect or diecast vs styrene, it's all the same to me...I like models and toys of cars, whether it's a 1:43rd Minichamps, 1:64th Matchbox/Hot Wheels/Tomica/Greenlight/M2/Johnny Lightning/Siku or a vintage Dinky, Corgi, Polistil, Playart, Spot-On, a 1:18th Auto Art diecast,a large scale Exoto F1 car, AMT 1:25th scale kit or promo, Revell 1:25h, Tamiya 1:20th or 1:24th, etc....

If it's a subject I'm interested in, I'm interested in having it regardless of scale or media..

Edited by Rob Hall

I think a lot of it stems from the builder vs. collector mentality. Modelers who work primarily in plastic or resin tend to view diecast buyers primarily as collectors who simply plunk down cash to get replicas of vehicles they like, as opposed to putting in the work necessary to build them themselves. In other words, diecast enthusiasts are considered by some builders to be nothing more than lazy "checkbook modelers."

I know that the "diecast snobs" think that way, but it makes no sense.

If you're into woodworking, and you want a table... you build yourself a table. If, however, you're not into woodworking, but you still want a table, you buy a table. Does that make the person who bought the table in some way inferior to the guy who made his own because he got his table "the easy way?"

Of course not, that would be silly. Building a table and buying a table are two different things.

So why should a "builder" look down on a "collector?" They are two completely different things.

So why do some people who like to put together unassembled plastic kits of model cars look down on people who don't necessarily like building models, but like having models? To me, building a plastic kit and buying a diecast "collectible" are apples and oranges. What does one have to do with the other? Some people build models, some people buy models, some people (like me) do both. But even if I never bought a diecast model in my life, I don't see why I would scorn those who do buy them. It makes no sense. If you want a model of a certain car and you like putting the pieces together yourself, buy a model kit. If you want a model of a certain car but you don't get into the building thing, buy a diecast. One is no better or more "worthy" than the other; they're just two different ways to enjoy model cars.

I have a couple of diecasts that when I look at them it makes me feel like not building a model because they are really good, until I remember that someone had to assemble such a model somewhere . . . hum, let me guess: CHINA?

If it is smaller in size than the real one, 1/24, 1/25 or even 1/32 it is a model.

If it won,t start, you can,t get in it, you can,t drive it, then it is a model.

If you're into woodworking, and you want a table... you build yourself a table. If, however, you're not into woodworking, but you still want a table, you buy a table. Does that make the person who bought the table in some way inferior to the guy who made his own because he got his table "the easy way?"

Yeah, I don't get that. I didn't build the house in which I live... does that mean I'm not a 'true' homeowner? :D

Harry...you are of course correct. A diecast is a model but not the traditional kind. I should have been more specific. What I mean when I say model is a kit that comes out of a box that we have to build. And yes, I know that there are some kits that are made of metal. Those would be okay if you had to actually build and paint them. :D

terry, im sure you know that back in the 80's they did infact make diecast kits that you actually have to paint and assemble with glue!!

i built one a while back, it was a stingray vette, horrible kit, but cool to build up.

the body, doors, and hood were all metal, the rest of the kit was plastic.

you got the body parts in raw metal that was cleared, you had to sand it all off and paint it your choice.

Jeff

terry, im sure you know that back in the 80's they did infact make diecast kits that you actually have to paint and assemble with glue!!

i built one a while back, it was a stingray vette, horrible kit, but cool to build up.

the body, doors, and hood were all metal, the rest of the kit was plastic.

Does anyone else see the irony? :D

If it is smaller in size than the real one, 1/24, 1/25 or even 1/32 it is a model.

If it won,t start, you can,t get in it, you can,t drive it, then it is a model.

Slot cars can do most of that... except the "get in it" part.

I can even do a burn out! :D

I agree with Terry.Although the title doesn't say "Plastic" Model cars, due to the content over the years, and the coverage of Plastic model car events one might expect the majority of the articles to cover said topic,plastic model cars.As in any money making venture marketing plays it's part and to that direction one would expect to find articles on other topics, occasionally,however connected in some form to the main topic, plastic model cars

.All of the major magazines we are familiar with, Hot Rod,Rodders Journal,Muscle Car Review, do this and from time to time they also stray far afield.Hot Rods venture into many different forms of two and four wheel folly have come and gone through the years. You may remember their ventures into, Go carts, Vans, Motorcycles,foreign cars,VW's,and most recently 10 pages of girls. This usually results in some letters from the readers and a swing back to the main topic.

My opinion now,there are specialty magazines that cover die cast and some of these other topics. I personally would like to see a magazine dedicated to plastic model cars. I think this is where SAE got into trouble years back going in too many directions.

I agree with Terry.Although the title doesn't say "Plastic" Model cars, due to the content over the years, and the coverage of Plastic model car events one might expect the majority of the articles to cover said topic,plastic model cars.

They do.

They still make them now! I have a 1/24th 55 Chrysler C300 Die Cast that came from Motor Max, that is sold in grey primer for the builder to paint. It is a complete (other than paint)model car kit, only in metal. I'm just waitin for the Mobeus kit, in PLASTIC and in 1/25th scale.B):D :D ;)

Well guys, this one man's,opinion certainly isn't going to change how anyone else thinks and that's ok...I just felt like expressing how I felt about it.

I don't look DOWN on diecast collectors....but it's like you said Harry...apples and oranges! Guys who purchase diecasts are collectors not modelers (if all they do is buy one). It's all in the process of how you get to have any model in your collection. I prefer to build them...some guys don't. No problem.

As for the woodworking/table analogy..well the difference there is similar to here. The guy who makes the table is a woodworker...the guy who buys one is not. Doesn't make him inferior at all...just different. The simple buyer probably cares not for the process of woodworking....he simply wants a table. And Chuck, of course the guy who buys a house is a homeowner...but he's not a carpenter! Same with diecast collectors...the guy who builds a model is a modeler and the guy who buys a diecast is not...at least in that particular purchase. No one said the guy who bought the table, the house or the diecast was INFERIOR. No, just different.

Traditionally the car model magazines have been all about the process of going from a kit to a finished model. IMHO, simply collecting diecasts does not fit that tradition. I will however concede that taking a diecast apart and rebuilding it or weathering it as in the case of the tractor, is modeling...the fact that it's made of metal is irrelevant. However, there is a difference in this case...the rebuilder has an easier job because he isn't starting with a kit...he's taking something apart and reassembling it after repainting or weathering it. Small difference but nevertheless a difference.

I just feel that the magazine should be all about the process of building, not collecting. There are diecast magazines out there that cover the diecast cars.