Model Cars Magazine Forum

Look What I Found - Magazine Coverage of the Origins of the NNL West Events

tim boyd

While my contributions to Street Rodder magazine as the editor of the "Modeler's Corner" monthly column from 1978 through 1995 are relatively well known, much less known is that I also contributed to a sister publication called "Popular Cars". In a semi-monthly column called "Small Scale", I shared editorial responsibilities with Bob Bost, Roy Sorensen, Rick Hanmore, and others.
Looking through those Popular Cars magazines, I ran across this article from the June, 1983 issue. It features the second-ever NNL West event, a highly successful event that took place in Millbrae, CA (near San Francisco International Airport) in January, 1983, during the same weekend as the Grand National Roadster Show in Oakland.
With the history of NNL events on the West Coast somewhat shrouded in mystery, this article offers further historical perspective. It's also interesting to read of some of the personalities involved - many are still actively involved in the full size and scale car hobbies to this day.
Here is a scan of the lead photo from the article - full size scans of my entire article on the NNL West #2 are at the link below for your reading enjoyment - TIM

NNLWest2PopCarsLeadImage-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking....- TIM
Edited by tim boyd

Oh yeah, can remember when the NNL West and the Oakland Roadster show were on the same weekend (probably 1990?ish) what a great combination. Have Linda Vaughns' autograph on a Chezoom poster on the wall in the laundry room as a souvenier.

Edited by Muncie

This reminds me so much of the annual car model contest that used to be held at the local Woolworth store here in St Louis many years ago. I used to walk there (approx. 2 miles), to Northwest Plaza to eyeball all the gorgeous car models. Very fond memories for me.

Here's one more picture from the article that I just added to the folder...this one was on the Contents page of the mag, which is why I missed it earlier.

This was a very impressive model, built, I think, but Don Graham (yes, that Don Graham!) It was a semi-scratchbuilt replica of a 1952-54 (can't remember which) Mercury hardtop. Remember, this was in 1983, before any resin copies were available, and before Lindberg's '53 Ford kit (which would have made a conversion much easier). Sorry for the grainy picture, but this is a blowup of a picture that was about 1"x1" on the magazine page.

Thanks for your interest....TIM t2PopCarsDonGrahamMerc_edited1-vi.jpg

hey Kevin in St Louis, when, what years would you say, were you at model shows in the Lou?

because I lived in Ofallon Illinois for a couple years around 62 or so, and I entered a model in a contest at the woolworths in Belleville (aka Mayberry RFD) for a chance to be in the show in St Louis. didn't get chosen but I did badger my parents into taking me and my little bro into town to some woolworths somewhere urban, where I remember being awed by what seemed like a huge table of models, all light years ahead of mine build wise.

it would be funny if you were there or had a model entered in that lot.

I remember the hobby part of the woolworths was in the basement, we went there a number of times. they had Big T, Tub, maybe Drag, all factory built on display stands and super kool stuff like that. a half year later pretty much all that stuff was shoved into the corner to make way for Beatle books sweaters photos records etc.

that article from tim is really something and kinda shows that nothing really changes. still sitting around wait for a charger to be released, and a lot of familiar names, like koolkat don graham there. really fun to see, but I wonder if Mark Townsend was around then, I think he was, he was one of the pioneers too.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

I remember those street rodder features. I think they really did a lot to bring more people to the hobby and just give some great exposure. I still have some of the 80s issues with those NNL west features. Great stuff, Tim.

Edited by Scott Colmer

The 54 Merc model was actually built in the early 1970's when I lived in the SF area East Bay, and was built from a first issue AMT 49 Ford coupe kit. I still have the model, and it's still in decent shape. It was a replica model of my 1:1 car which I owned from 1963 to about 1968. I believe resin models were still in their infancy. Most resembled a solid paperweight.

I see some of my other models in the first photo.

NNL West #2 took place at the El Rancho Motel or Inn in Milbrae, California, near San Francisco. Yes, JBWELDA, Mark Townsend was at the #2 NNL West, along with others from California like Bob Woolley (Model Car Journal), Doane Yawger, David Dale, Gary Gollehon, Pat Ganahl (Pat and I both brought our built in the 1960's real 'bubble top' models), also guys from Oregon like Bob Paeth, Bob Robinson, Rick Rothermel, and from the Midwest, Andy Martin, Bob Bost, and Tom Dillon, and maybe 40 others whose names I can't recall at the moment. Oh yes! Tim Boyd was the emcee, and showed slides of various models from around the country.

Back then, these NNL's included all meeting for dinner at a nearby restaurant, and were non-competitive (no awards, no door prizes, no swap meet, and no carnival atmosphere) and they were the most fun of all, in my opinion. They spotlighted the social aspect of the hobby, and sharing info. Unlike contests prior to that time. NNL West #1 in California's Central Valley in Modesto, California was most enjoyable for me. I invited a couple local modelers to attend it, but they poo poo'd the idea of attending a show where there wasn't a contest.

Here's one more picture from the article that I just added to the folder...this one was on the Contents page of the mag, which is why I missed it earlier.

This was a very impressive model, built, I think, but Don Graham (yes, that Don Graham!) It was a semi-scratchbuilt replica of a 1952-54 (can't remember which) Mercury hardtop. Remember, this was in 1983, before any resin copies were available, and before Lindberg's '53 Ford kit (which would have made a conversion much easier). Sorry for the grainy picture, but this is a blowup of a picture that was about 1"x1" on the magazine page.

Thanks for your interest....TIM t2PopCarsDonGrahamMerc_edited1-vi.jpg