Mustang Gtp

3men2s

If you like IMSA, you for sure love their GTP class

and if you love GTP you have to say that the 80's

was the best competition ever. One of the cars that

blew me away was this design by FORD. It was different

and smooth. The car did not win much, but If I had the

money and the means to get one a historic race car I would

get this one to parade around in the Monterey Races in Laguna Seca.

Let's see how it comes out, it's one of those projects

that you don't know were it will take you...

i was not planning on opening the doors, and their they go.

So now I have to start to scratch built the hinges and to

modify the interior to cover all those holes you don't see

when the body is put on. If anyone have actual photos of

the car...SAVE ME ;)

Picture1256Small.jpg

Picture1268Small.jpg

THIS ARE A FEW PHOTOS OF THE ACTUAL CAR

Ford-Mustang_GTP_1983_800x600_wa-2.jpg

ford-svo-3-1.jpg

52741229_7bwpad.jpg

52741230_7engine2.jpg

Ford-Mustang_GTP_1983_800x600_wa-1.jpg

46266054_File7158.jpg

Edited by 3men2s

I didn't buy this kit when it first came out. Years later I regretted it... Low and behold, R/M decided to re-issue it in the SSP deal they had going for a while. I snapped up two of the bad boys. Now, I just need to find the time. You look like you have a really good start on this one!!

Hello, great pick for a build! A great suject for sure. I have one (or two) of these up in my closet, so it will be nice to see one actually built. When the SSP came out, a magazine called MRRN did an article about this kit. In their build, they did the paint scheme on your box. Problem is, their build mainly focused on converting the car to right hand drive (check the "future" pic you posted). That first season car had a different engine. When they changed engines in the next season, the exhaust/turbo, changed sides with the intake. The kit, despite the livery, is of the 2nd season 7-11 car. They (MRRN) cataloged the changes quite well including, in excellent MRRN form, templates to build any changes. I think the Motorcraft engine is the same out of the Miller IMSA Mustang kit. I hope this is helpful. If you don't have the mag, and GREGG doesn't think it is an infringement on that, much missed mag, I could scan it, and email it. It seems to be quite worth it. I also have a book on Mustang racecars that I will take a look at when I get home tomorrow. If their is anything in it, I'll give you a holler.

Have a good one,

Greg

Hello again,

I am going to try my technical savy (or lack of) and load some of the pictures of the rhd conversion. Hopefully I don't get sued for this! It is from a now defunct magazine called MRRN/MRN. For motorsports builders, it was, and still is the holy grail! Even though they were small and black and white, they still, in many ways are light years ahead anything (sorry Gregg) available now. I don't know what happened to the guys who made it, and if they are still around, and if they happened to read this: you rock!

post-2446-1208392304_thumb.jpg

Okay, so I'm no techie. I could only put two of the five pages, and I duplicate the same one! If you want, just PM me with your email address, and I KNOW that I can do that! Anybody else for that matter. The scans are actually pretty good if you magnify them. The detail doesn't show well reduced. Please continue to post, and maybe give us some pointers on that kit too.

Oh yeah, I also looked in my copy of Mustang Racecars by Dr John Craft. No detail shots on the GTP. However, it has some good ones of the Roush Trans Am mustangs. Later.

Greg

I got to see this car race at Pocono Raceway when they had IMSA races there. I have one painted white but have not painted the blue yet. I got mine to have working steering but you have to remove those humps on the chassis right behind the front wheels. They look stupid any way. Unfortunately Monogram's decals for these do not look too good up close, but as far as I know nobody does any decals for them.

looking good but you need to hinge the doors so that they open correctly. If you notice the pic it is hinged on the a pillar and the corner of the fender. :lol:

Hey man thanks for that obseravation, took yoour advice and worked on it

and they look much better...

Picture488Small.jpg

Picture492Small-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Worked a little more on this project and it is starting to look like a racer.

Did the paint and decals and started to do the engine, still need to do lots of stuff

and even dow you wont see much of those details like the metal headers I created

under that heat shield, Is something I do for me. Need to do the rear suspension

and the interior......more photos soon if my 1 year old let's me. seeeyaa

Picture1321Small.jpg

Picture1322Small.jpg

Picture1324Small.jpg

Hello again,

I am going to try my technical savy (or lack of) and load some of the pictures of the rhd conversion. Hopefully I don't get sued for this! It is from a now defunct magazine called MRRN/MRN. For motorsports builders, it was, and still is the holy grail! Even though they were small and black and white, they still, in many ways are light years ahead anything (sorry Gregg) available now. I don't know what happened to the guys who made it, and if they are still around, and if they happened to read this: you rock!

The MRRN magazine was put together by a group of guyz in NorCal headed up by a dude named Mike Quarterman...hope Mike doesn't mind me throwing his name out there. Mike also tried his hand in resin models and decals, "uMi-modelwerke" being his company.

You are correct in this magazine being the "Holy Grail" to vintage racecars, etc.

I have saved every issue they produced and am constantly going back for reference and just for a "good read".

I was priveleged to have them do an article on a Lotus 19 I built from a John Johnson - Teapot Graphics vacuum form kit

Still plan on building the Bugatti Tank they covered in the very 1st issue...

The demise of the magazine was do in part that it wasn't puttin' food on Mike's table and he needed to have a "real job"...so he relunctily closed up shop.

thanx for the memories...

I was able to do some details in the engine using reference photos.

To all those photografers outthere, putting your shots on the web

specially old motor racing , THANK YOU from all of us modelers.

THANK YOU :angry:

Picture509Small-1.jpg

Picture527Small.jpg

Hello there, 'stang is looking good! Any tidbits or quirks that other builders should know about?

Hi Curt, thanks for the info on MRRN. During the time it was published, I was in the Marines, so needless to say, my model building was intermittent at best. That magazine has always been a great source of inspiration, and I too, still read through the issues I have. Wouldn't it be great for someone to compile them all and publish it in book form? I think that would be a great help to many builders today. Undoubtedly, the best articles of its kind. Years ago, I let a guy use my AAR cuda issue for reference in building an Swede Savage 1:1 racecar. When your model magazine is good enough to help a guy build a real car, well, what better compliment is there than that?! Thanks again Curt.

Take care,

Greg