Model Cars Magazine Forum

Renault 4L from Heller and Ebbro

Luc Janssens

Also note that the left rear wheel was usually slightly sooty after a while, because of the side exhaust. This was even more obvious after the switch to unleaded petrol.

It would be a nice thing to replicate for those who want to give the model a used look.

Edited by Junkman

Also note that the left rear wheel was usually slightly sooty after a while, because of the side exhaust. This was even more obvious after the switch to unleaded petrol.

It would be a nice thing to replicate for those who want to give the model a used look.

Ahh....yes, I see that now. Great weathering detailtip there :)

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this thread, as I have been looking at inspiration after picking up the van from my local model shop and came across a brilliant write up on how to get the details spot on. -  http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966441-renault-4-fourgonnette/ 

Now I've just got to figure what direction to go in with mine. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's a superb build that outlines some generic inaccuracies with the kit and then some particularities of the Scandinavian export market.
I'm currently working on the ultimate Ebbro/Heller Renault 4 Compare-O-Rama from a strictly French home-market point of view.
I know this is of very little significance for an American audience, but I'm still making the effort.
I can say so much already: neither kit can be built into a 100% accurate model just from what is in the boxes, but the Heller kit is the closest to reality.

• 1 month later...

Junkman said: "The Fourgonette is now abailable in a "bakery" version:"

Thanks for the heads-up!  Went right over to Lucky Model and ordered one. Not to tempt anybody, but Lucky still has 5 of them in stock.

For those who don't know Tasca/Asuka, they do VERY good stuff.  At least in the 1/35 military world.  When Tasca started doing a line of 1/35 Sherman tanks a few years ago, those kits very quickly became the state-of-the-art Sherman model. 

They used to be.

It was a big mistake to sell my last R4.
They command relatively stiff prices nowadays, but I'm sure there is one in my future.

Over all these decades, I always had something American and something French as a second car.

Edited by Junkman

If you knew about it beginning of July, then why didn't you post it then?

Because I already spend several hours a week putting together a weekly YouTube Series that covers kit announcements, and  new releases in-depth...and it was covered back in July when it came out.  It's not my job to force people to watch it (it was in my signature line for months), nor is it my job to hand-hold the entire internet.  Watch the series be informed, otherwise enjoy the blissful ignorance of what's going on.

P.S. The Asuka/Ebbro 2CV Slough-based P/U came out in August, and the straight up Ebbro version came out in October.  It's an entirely new tool sharing nothing but a few cab pieces with their 2CV Fourgonette.  Overall a nice kit, but rather pricey for almost $50 US it's unsatisfactorily a curbside.  Irony being the British Military version which has a few extra parts from Asuka is actually about $12 cheaper. Go figure...