Model Cars Magazine Forum

I know 90 days might be a tight window for quite a few builders... maybe even the vast majority. But it can be done. I could do a project in 90 days... IF I weren't doing too many modifications, IF I had all the parts/materials to build it on hand, and IF I had the time/motivation to do so. I know I could do it because...

008_zpstvx90e9j.jpg

I built this Star in a little less than a week beginning to end, and I was was basically just something I was piddling around with between other projects. And that includes a CAT engine swap (plus all the related tweaks to the intake and exhaust), and swapping out the kit supplied walking beam rear suspension in favor of a leaf-spring setup. Granted, it's not full-detail, but I could do an even better version of something like this in 90 days.

11430155_850350741687251_566148880824662Also in a week's time- I had the complete chassis and powertrain for this finished- that included shortening the frame, installing a walking beam suspension, swapping out the kit wheels and tires for Italeri pieces (and the related engineering guesstimates employed to adapt them), and converting the Cummins from naturally-aspirated to turbo charged. I even made new mufflers and standpipes from tubing, because it ended up being less work than cleaning and touching up the kit-supplied parts.

I'd have had this one done in about two weeks total, if the cab seams hadn't split on me when I went to install the interior for the first time. That made me a little gun shy for a bit, but the pic I just posted shows the new cab, with the new interior installed... and no split seams this time. Again, it's not fully detailed, but I would be willing to bet anyone at least as talented as I am (and I'd rate myself on the low-to-mid-end of average) could do it, if they had the time and motiviation.Being familiar with the kit and any flaws/quirks it may have helps. Fast-curing adhesives and paints help a great deal as well, and so does having a good mental picture of how you want the project to look at the end can also be quite a benefit... though I do admit the Star kind of "designed itself" as things progressed.

The problem for me now is just that... time and motivation. When I built the Star and started on the Dual Drive I was laid off- now I'm working 60 hours a week some weeks, and sometimes when I get home I just don't have any motivation to work on anything, even if I want to.

But on the other hand, there's that IH Paystar logger of mine that started off as "I'll just pair up the IH with the Peerless trailer and call it good". That was a couple of years ago and it's STILL not done... so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about after all. :lol:

For some of the folks on here 90 days is more than enough time but for me with work and as much moving ad I'm doing right now I probably wouldn't even try but, I do think it's a great idea that would be fun both to participate in and watch.

Rich

As long as I wouldn't have to get too extravigant with much past OOB with it (it's been a few years,I'm rusty,and have LOTS going on right now that's beyond my control but keeps me either busy or stressed,LOL),I could probly do a 90 day for my first big truck in decades (would be the first I actually ever finished too). I'd be interested to try to at any rate :)

Well... there's the problem (for me) of the whole time/motivation thing. That and the more superstitious thing... seems like the last year or so, if I ever decide to do a WIP thread on something, the project crashes and burns within a week or two. I can make all kinds of progress on something if I'm not posting updates, though. :lol:

We'll Clayton, it looks like Chuck and Stephen are on board. How many are we up to now?

Terry, I'm kinda rethinking this. I think trying to squeeze this in by the end of the year is big dream. I know this is hobby and builders aren't able to devote a big portion of their free time to a deadline build.

What Iam thinkin about is making this a Jan 1st to Oct 31 build. A full 10 months should be plenty of time to build a truck.

So I'll throw this out there. What are the thoughts of this being a 10 month build? Would this spark more interest?

I can't believe your not getting more response (unless it's pm's) but if we could get in the neighborhood of 6 months I'd be a taker

Keep in mind it's the summer, normally things slow down here a bit. Making this a January - October thing might just generate more interest.

If you start this thing jan. 1, then im in! I think thats plenty of time, plus starting in the middleish of winter allows time to get everything mocked up before it warms up enough to start painting. Just my thoughts!

That was my thinkin. Maybe it would allow for some more elaborate work too. Not just a stretch, slam, paint. It could open it up for chop tops and body drops, who knows.

I can't believe your not getting more response (unless it's pm's) but if we could get in the neighborhood of 6 months I'd be a taker

FYI...no PMs, yet. Seems like this doesn't have interest yet. Maybe the longer time frame will remedy that.

I'd like to see some car guys give it a go. Look at Dr Karry and the truck he built. That electric KW. That's outside the box, and took some time.

I would be down for a 6 month build. Does it have to be a custom, lowered stretched out truck??September through April here is when the surfing gets good!! :-)

And I will be away from home for two weeks or more at a time. But I can still build when I am home.

Any truck? or will everyone build the same truck?

Be Well

Gator

Jan-Oct of '16? Unless something unforseen flat out prevents it,I'm definitely in :D That gives me the rest of '15 to get back in the groove and break any rustiness out of my system (from lack of building in recent years) too hopefully :)

Edited by Olskoolrodder

So far I'm counting 9 that are in for this.

Now remember, this needs 12 minimum entrants. Even with 12, your guaranteed a spot. Then it becomes a contest of cover and pick of month. It would be nice if it were to have 20 entries, then it's competing to get in and the cover and pick.

Well, it's like what has been said before. There's no big challenge with these kits if they're built box stock. But, I can also see these kits used for guys who are pretty "green" at truck customizing. This would be a 10 month build and for some of us, this is a 2 day build kit.

So this Revell Peterbilt, that you love so much ,is not eligible?

REV1506.jpg

Well, it's like what has been said before. There's no big challenge with these kits if they're built box stock. But, I can also see these kits used for guys who are pretty "green" at truck customizing. This would be a 10 month build and for some of us, this is a 2 day build kit.

This reply really doesn't make much sense Clayton. In one breath you stated "There's no big challenge with these kits if they're built box stock." Then you stated "But, I can also see these kits used for guys who are pretty "green" at truck customizing." So whats the deal? Snap kits or no Snap kits? :huh:

Hey Anthony, are you in or out? I'd sure like to see what you come up with for this.

I don't think so, once I finish up the 3 projects I'm doing now I plan on taking some time off from building.