Model Cars Magazine Forum

60's Bare Bones Digger - Updated 8-4-08

Bernard Kron

This is a quick build I’m completing based on the HemiSphere blown Hemi AA fuel rail which I understand was originally the Garlits Wynn’s Jammer from 1964. I wanted to capture the simplicity and raw purposefulness of the kind of stripped down diggers that made up the numbers every weekend in the early 60’s at strips like Lions Association Drag Strip and Pomona. The frame is pinched in front but otherwise largely unmodified. I took the kit body, which is a full covering design and removed the rear section enclosing the driver and also cut off the nose piece. I fabricated the aluminum panels in the cockpit area from a pie tin and finished the “shorty†body in Testors Metallizer Plate Aluminum. Power will be from an injected Nailhead Buick from the old Revell Ivo Showboat kit which is mocked up in the final pictures below. I plan to use a minimum of decals and finish it virtually as bare bones as you see it here, except for a finished engine, a scratch built fuel tank, a wing plate at the front and a parachute pack. I hope to have it done within the next week or so.

Thanx for lookin’,

B.

th_DSCF0627-web.jpg th_DSCF0628-web.jpg th_DSCF0639-web.jpg th_DSCF0645-web.jpg th_DSCF0648-web.jpg th_DSCF0650-web.jpg

(Click on picture for larger image)

Edited by gbk1

Good luck with finishing it within the next week or so, Bernard :rolleyes: ! Always look forward to your builds--they're so informative, and so cool how you like to model the 'little guy' or the roots of the rod. Lookin forward to it. :mellow:

Awhile back I picked up this kit and a Ford Focus--not sure how those two are gonna be combined, but fer sure the digger aint gonna have the Focus wheels and tires on it! :(

:mellow: Well Bernard, your build looks pretty cool to me, But it REALLY musta blown the ######'ns mind, cuz I ain't NEVER seen him type so legibly! He ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE!!! Just goes to show how a well thought out and built model can TRULY have HEALING qualities!!! I like how your doing it, looks GREAT so far! Keep it up! :(

Your little digger is really coming along nicely, Bernard!! That bright yellow rail really stands out, emphasizing just how stark those things were!!

That is as raw as they come...there's not as much as an extra bolt holding that little hotrod together!!

Sit down, strap in, shut up and hang the f*** on!! We're goin' for a ride, baby!!!

Later,

Thanx for all the kind comments everyone.

The little digger is just about finished. All that’s left is the parachute pack which is a contribution from my modeling buddy at CalSurplus as a “how-to†on scratch building a really convincing ‘chute for my competition builds. I’m really looking forward to it. In the meantime here are some detail shots of various areas that have been completed.

Here’s an overhead shot showing the scratch built fuel tank, the pinched nose on the rails, and the fuel lines going to the engine.

th_DSCF0674web.jpg

Here are some shots of the engine bay. The side panels under the motor and the main body shell have had some p/e Dzus fasteners added. The extra detail really heightens the metallic look of the surfaces and makes them pop. The S&S decal is home made. The fuel pump was relocated to the front of the engine and is a larger item from the Hemi that comes with the HemiSphere kit. I also had to make a new oil pan because the Showboat pans are angled items to allow for the slanted installation of the 4 Nailheads in that car. The headers are the outside pieces from the Showboat.

th_DSCF0680-web.jpg th_DSCF0668-web.jpg

Here are views of the tail and nose of the digger. The parachute mounting plate is adapted from the HemiSphere kit plate. The push bar is made from aluminum tubing. The front wing plate is from the HemiSphere kit but has been stripped of its chrome plating and refinished with Metallizer Aluminum Plate paint and another home made decal. S&S is a fictitious name to evoke the small industrial companies and fabrication shops that were such common sponsors on these cars back in the day. There’s also a pretty good shot of the fuel tank which was formed to fit in the pinched nose, What doesn’t show is that the bottom of the tank is rectangular and hangs parallel to the ground below the rails.

th_DSCF0667-web.jpg th_DSCF0670-web.jpg

Building this model was a lot of fun. It required a lot of adapting of the original kit to accommodate the bare bones look and the Buick motor. I plan to build a longer wheelbase blown FED next winter that will also be inspired by the Surfers AA/FD which inspired this build.

The next post will be Under Glass with the parachute and any final detailing that’s left to do.

Thanx for lookin’

B.

OK, your CalSurplus parachute is packed and ready for shipment. I've got it on good word that you should see it by the weekend (if our deliveryman can get time off from his regular job to get to the post office by then). :wub:

post-2030-1218052434_thumb.jpg

This may not stop or even slow down that old digger, but it'll sure be an intersting site when the driver pulls the cord and the balsawood filler pops out! :wub:

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

OK, your CalSurplus parachute is packed and ready for shipment. I've got it on good word that you should see it by the weekend (if our deliveryman can get time off from his regular job to get to the post office by then). :P

This may not stop or even slow down that old digger, but it'll sure be an interesting sight when the driver pulls the cord and the balsa wood filler pops out! :rolleyes:

Later,

Thanx Cal! Sure is a beauty! I hope it doesn’t upstage the rest of this build! Can’t wait!

I really like. The simple ones have some of the greatest impact.

Thanx Scott! I couldn’t agree more. I almost left off the decals, but I wanted to achieve a degree of realism that required them. This period of approx. 140†wheelbase front engined rails are among the most perfectly proportioned and purposeful race cars ever built. I didn’t want to spoil it with even more than the bare minimum of bodywork. It’s also why I went with the symmetry of the Buick motor rather than a blown hemi.

Edited by gbk1

Brings a tear to the eye, remembering the Glory Days of the drags. You have built an excellent piece of drag racing nostalgia. They probably ran this little bomb for 8-10 years before the expense pushed them aside. She is a real beauty.

Thanx Clergyman! I’m very flattered that my simple build could evoke a feel for that golden age. I would be less than truthful if I didn’t admit that that was my goal. (BTW, you’re right, S&S ran this thing until ’72 when $1.00 gas and the recession got the best of them. The good news is that they sold the business for a tidy profit in ’99 and are currently building a replica to run in the nostalgia drags – of course, they deeply resent the modern double tube roll over bar...)

Good luck with finishing it within the next week or so, Bernard :P ! Always look forward to your builds--they're so informative, and so cool how you like to model the 'little guy' or the roots of the rod. Lookin forward to it. :rolleyes: ....

Thanx for the props Crap’n. Just waiting for the delivery man and this one is done! Like the man said/sang “Every picture tells a story†...

B.

Edited by gbk1

There are so many excellent drag projects on here... I just can't get over it :( Where can I order one of those parachutes from?! Great Digger by the way!

Kurt,

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you the PowerPoint template and instructions.

Later,