Model Cars Magazine Forum

krylon fusion paint is a winner !

HI modelers,

Since I'm doing a ford goodguys 3 window coupe in gloss black I decided to try the new krylon fusion plastic paint.It says on the can it's a direct spray on and no primer is needed BUT I still primmed the body and all parts with krylon white quick dry primmer(12 minutes to dry and no drips)I have to say I really like this stuff and it really shines nice when dry.Now after I'm done I'll put a few light coats of clear and I'm done.It's to bad fusion only comes in about 10 colors and most are ugly but the gloss black did the job for my little 32 coupe.Has anyone else used this paint with good results? Take care,sparkyd31

The only problem I ran into with it was the first time I used it, the paint was coming out under the nozzle making a mess, I know a few others had this same problem. Lately that hasn't happend so maybe it was a problem Krylon fixed.

On the dull and shiny I've noticed that more when I use it over primer or another paint. The thing I really like about it is you really have to try and make it run, I've been in a hurry and been impatient several times where I know another paint would have run but the Fusion goes on perfect anyway.

I have decided it is more sensitive to cold and humidity though, but I can't prove it, just a theory I'm developing.

How is the paint thickness in the Fusion? I have seen it on samples in several hardware stores and it seems to "build" thick. They may have used multiple coats to achieve a result different than what we modelers desire. Any comments?

• 3 weeks later...

This was painted with Krylon Fusion , and I had a few problems with dull spots when shooting the clear , repeated clear coats yielded the same dull spots , but after the polishing steps they were gone . I would use it again.

Im000022-vi.jpg

Im000026-vi.jpg

I use Krylon alot with great results. The orange Ranchero on the left is Krylon safety orange. It went on smooth and glossy, no drips, no runs, no errors. I also painted a '41 Plymouth Krylon gloss black. It looked good and then when I polished it, it looked great.

I've done three Mustangs and a Talladega also. See them at

http://public.fotki.com/RoyS/

I used to use Kylon, but as of recently I ran into alot of problems with crazing with it so I quit using it, its was'nt bad stuff, I just switched completely over to airbrushing Tamiya Acylics and spraying Tamiya Laquers.