Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Chopper Frame question

Last one I did, I have to pt some sheet styrene to cover some gaps. So i got to thinking. if I put the frame together and painted it al as one piect, there woud be no gaps...but then how would I get the front forks on ??

I figure I'm not the ony one with this problem-question.

Has any one figired how to get the front forks on a copper frame thats already been glued together? I guess I could cut the mounting pipe off and use straight brass rod to mount after.

Buy why re-invent the wheel. I am wondering how anyone else might have fixed this.

I believe this problem exists on most any bike kit as they usually all that I have seen so far have the forks go through the frame, then glue the frame together.The only way I have come up with is the same as everyone else, pin from below as so it is not noticable after everything is put together, that or obtain a miniature bolt available through micr-fasteners and cut the top off of the forks, then drill the hole and tap the top of the pin and when done, screw together like a real bolt on it all would be, but I think weaker in the long run so I have stayed with the pinning through the bottom.

It looks like Tom Kren did the following: Remove the upper tree with a razor saw. For final assembly, slide kit bar up into neck, glue upper tree back on with two or three glue joints.

I'm going to try this on my next chopper build.

MVC007S-vi.jpg

Who wants to try this?

Remove the section of triple tree that fits into the frame.

Drill small holes or shallow depressions in the triple tree.

Insert a watch band spring pin into the frame depress the little spring loaded nibs and slide the triple tree in place.

This just might work.

There are probably as many ways to do this as there are builders to think about it. I personally trimmed the shaft into two little numbs and then snapped that onto the frame tube. (plastic is very flexable you know)

The simplest method is usually the best, but I too like the first idea where the lower "triple tree" is drilled for a pin. That pin can be bent slightly to give it a friction fit. However, what keeps the upper from moving around?

On my long term project brass bike, I had to drill the tree to place a pin in.On my newest trike project I cut leaving nibs just like Jairus said.However I am afraid slighly of scraping the paint when done, however I know the triple tree will fit.On my daughters bike(Easter present and almost done already) we drilled from the bottom again.On my Triumph, after taking the springer forks from a snap tight harley kit, I cut it in the middle, cut the forks under a line and drilled matching holes on both sides with a scratched pin there.Then when I place it together, I will glue the forks together at the pin and a smaller pin insideof the larger pin in the triple tree giving it plenty of strength.Howevr the easiest and most convenient I still say for the RM choppers is drilling thru the bottom.I again drilled part way into the upper tree.When I go to put it together I will put a drop of Tenax in the hole and run the pin up.Since that dries in seconds, I can twist the forks back and forth while the glue dries to assure the movement remains on the forks. My biggest question is what is the best way to attach the front tire without the forks splitting and having the tire still rotate??Is there any better way then how the manufacturer has done??