Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 GMC Tow Truck

Built this as part of another forums community build where you had to build a ute of some description for 'Australia Day' B)

I put this together over a 36 hour period including a dash conversion to capture that Aussie look....there are a few of these Down-under; however, becoming pretty scarce as the much easier 'tilt trays' are far more common.

I de-chromed the rims because they looked a bit too shiny for a tow-truck and painted them Tamiya Silver Leaf.

The false engine caught me by surprise and in the end I just had to detail it as best I could ;)

I cut the 'roo-bar' off because it looked like a fence in my opinion and would not stop a 6 foot Kangaroo :lol:

Paint is Tamiya TS-34 Camel Yellow and a few decals including the Slixx pin-stripes, gear in the back is from the Fujimi 'Tools' kit and a few other sources.

Cheers

Ray

DSC02219_zpsb763957f.jpg

DSC02220_zps1d109294.jpg

DSC02221_zps96910207.jpg

DSC02222_zpseb850dbc.jpg

DSC02223_zpsbf503bbb.jpg

DSC02227_zps7da94420.jpg

DSC02228_zps2493be7a.jpg

DSC02203_zps639b3a03.jpg

Nice dash conversion....That takes that truck to a new level.....The engine looks tiny inside there, but I guess that's how it was, back then.....Great work....Are those tires plastic??? I was thinking of using this model to replace the wheels on a Chevy Dually I have....

You know, that's interesting. As a side note, my wife has been watching an Australian series for a while now and I was getting a little confused as to what a 'Ute' was. Seemed every other vehicle was called that, so I actually had to look it up. I found it's a catch-all name for a passenger vehicle with a cargo tray in the rear - basically a pickup. Interesting and makes complete sense now. Good job.

Nice dash conversion....That takes that truck to a new level.....The engine looks tiny inside there, but I guess that's how it was, back then.....Great work....Are those tires plastic??? I was thinking of using this model to replace the wheels on a Chevy Dually I have....

JT, the tyres are a solid rubber and are very well done, I sanded the tread for realism and the overall fit is very good, they would look even better with some simple lettering on the walls too ;)

You know, that's interesting. As a side note, my wife has been watching an Australian series for a while now and I was getting a little confused as to what a 'Ute' was. Seemed every other vehicle was called that, so I actually had to look it up. I found it's a catch-all name for a passenger vehicle with a cargo tray in the rear - basically a pickup. Interesting and makes complete sense now. Good job.

Johnny, ute being short for Utility, that's what us Aussies say, yes very popular 'Down-Under' mate, every second vehicle on the road is a Ute ;)

Thanks for all the comments guys much appreciated :)

Just a fun kit to build and with a bit of imagination and detail, they look good :)

What... no 'roo bar? B)

Seriously though- this is my favorite build-up of this kit I've ever seen so far. Love the combination of the color and graphics.

Funny you should say that Chuck, like I said before, some of the roo-bars these days would not stop or cushion the impact of a 'Skippy' :lol:

These days if you hit one, you hope for the best, they can do some serious damage though, cars have been 'written-off' after a roo hit...especially the plastic on modern cars these days ;)

There have been serious accidents where people have swerved to miss a roo and that's where they get into trouble...roll the vehicle and suffer serious injury or death, a lot of 'backpackers' who come down-under have unfortunately been in this situation.... :mellow:

Cheers

Ray