Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/43rd Scale Kits

This was a great series of kits. Very nicely detailed and body proportions that look right, to me (I'll admit to not not noticing a lot of shortfalls, in this department). Given that, here is a pair of them I built many years ago. There were eight or ten of these kits that I am aware of. Shown are my interpretations of the '36 Ford and the '48 Ford. I'd love to see anybody else s builds of these kits. I'd also like to see a comprehensive list of all of them that have been available. These look like they could use a washing!

I always thought that these kits were very well done. I wish they all were done "stock". When I started in the resin biz I based my 68 Donohue Camaro and 69 Pace car on these kits and I also made a 69 Z-28 conversion. Ugo Fadini in Italy based his legendary line of Corvettes on the AMT 1/43rd.

Unfortunately 1/43rd didn't sell well. Monogram found that out with their Ultimate kits of the 289 Cobra and 67 Vette. By the way, the roof from the AMT custom vette splices onto the Monogram like it was meant to be there! I wonder if the tooling is still out there. Some have not been released since the first run.

Oh, yeah, I remember the Camaros, the AMX, the '69 Mustang, the '67 Camaro was a custom, as was the earlier 'Vette and the Torino. I have the Torino, 'Cuda, the '69 Chevelle built, along with the two pictured above. I also have the '69 Camaro and maybe the AMX in a box of parts sqirreled away here, somewhere.

Yes, there is a Cougar kit. There also is a ca. '65 custom Corvette. I'll post pics later, when I'm at home.

And entirely btw. would you like to include the truck kits too?

We could, I reckon. I have had most of those at one time or another. I have one of the KW cabovers that I cut into a day cab, and shortened the chassis up. To pair with it, I shortened a pair of the exterior post trailers to forty-footers and scratched a pup for them. Of course, this project remains "in the works"! Forgive the crappy pics. I shot them with an ancient webcam.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know exactly how many 1/43 kits AMT made and have list? Here is my knowledge:

'36 Ford

'48 Ford

'57 Chevy

E type Jag

'69 Mustang

'69 Camaro SS

'69 Chevelle SS

'68 Pontiac Firebird 400

Corvette

'69 AMC AMX

'68 Mustang

'69 T-bird

GT 40

'69 Mercury Cougar

Cougar custom

'69 Barracuda fastback custom

GTO custom

Vette Showrod (loosely based on the Worlds fair Corvette 1964)

VW Beetle

Plus the semi's and Peterbilt Wrecker.

Having to go on memory about this here at work I thought I remembered my 1/43rd Cougar(molded in dark blue) being a 1968 model.I was right!All my brain cells haven't atrophied yet!

I also have the 63 and 68 Vettes and as unbuilts I have the 57 Chevy and the 36 Ford.

Edited by ZTony8

• 6 months later...

I have several of these too.

I have a Sealed Junior Collector series of th e57 Chevyy, and an open box/sealed parts 48 Ford Coupe,

I also have those 2 built.

I got 2 lots from Yard-Sale-Finds I think that were 3 builts each. I got the GTO in one lot.

I have 2 each of the Custom Camaro & Custom Mustang, as well as the stock 68 Firebird.

I have lodt count on how many of the 69 Camaro, Chevelle, & Mustag I have.

I have one each of the Custom Vette, Cougar, Cuda, Stock 69 T-Bird, Jaguar XKE & 36 Ford.

Wish I could find that VW Beetle, And Stock 69 Cougar!!

I have several of the Matchbox "Street Magic" kits, and yes, all need the chrome parts Chromed!

However, it was the last time the 57 Chevy & 68 Firebird were re-issued.

I have one of that issue 48 Ford open box, sealed parts

and a matching 57 Chevy sealed, though slightly crushed box.

The original issued boxes above, including the 6 Customs, all had the clear showcase

as part of the kit. The kit parts and instruction were actually inside the showcase.

My 69 T-Bird is a mint unbuilt liek that.

The 2 lots I got off evilpay included the showcases too. as did the first Custom Camaro

I got. It was built unpainted.

I have the box from one of my Original issue 69 Mustangs.