SpikeSchumacher

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:Mathias

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

Mathias,
That kit is a 1961 Rancharo and was re-released... what? Three years ago? The grill I illustrated is a '62 and not in the kit so good luck finding one. It was drawn for Gregg back when he was building a 1:1 and to my knowledge not possible in scale unless there is a resin grill and front fenders available somewhere. The premis was to cross a Shelby cobra (scoop and stripes) with the Rancharo and what would it look like. The front bumper is actually the real '61 piece but trimmed down by removal of the lower shield creating a straight "blade" much like the Mustang. Also note the rear wheel opening has been radiused and a lip added.
Good luck.

Posted Image

Thanks Jairus!

That gives me some more useful info. Once I get hold of a kit it should be very doable/ Will have to figure out something for the grill, if anything is possible.

Looking forward to the challenge!

#122 SpikeSchumacher

SpikeSchumacher

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:Mathias

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

Mathias,
That kit is a 1961 Rancharo and was re-released... what? Three years ago? The grill I illustrated is a '62 and not in the kit so good luck finding one. It was drawn for Gregg back when he was building a 1:1 and to my knowledge not possible in scale unless there is a resin grill and front fenders available somewhere. The premis was to cross a Shelby cobra (scoop and stripes) with the Rancharo and what would it look like. The front bumper is actually the real '61 piece but trimmed down by removal of the lower shield creating a straight "blade" much like the Mustang. Also note the rear wheel opening has been radiused and a lip added.
Good luck.

Posted Image

Hi Jairus,

One more quick question. The wheels look like they might me from a Trans Am era Mach 1, would that be a close guess?

Mathias

#123 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

Ah... yeah, sure! :wacko:

I really didn't think that one through.... just some sort of 5 spoke I guess.

#124 Fletch

Fletch

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

I've lurked for a while and this project is too interesting to pass up. If there is still a spot open I'd like to participate.

Jason
mtncycl@hotmail.com

Jason, the Introduction Letter and the artwork should be in your email inbox.

Thank you for your interest in the Challenge

Dave

#125 Jayl

Jayl

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Lashley

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

I'm off to ebay to find a kit. Can anyone let me know what 56 T-Bird kit would be the best? Thanks for letting me participate in this, hope I can do it justice.

Posted Image

Edited by Jayl, 09 April 2010 - 10:42 PM.

#126 herbert

herbert

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Full Name:Herbert Baynes

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

Here is The Firebird. I need help on scoop.

Attached Files

#127 Tom Jackson

Tom Jackson

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

compoetiton Resin has that scoop .Check on slixx decals site

#128 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kendall

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:30 PM

Fletch-

I sent you a PM on a fellow modeler from my local club who would like to get in on this, if any are left. You can send the info to me, if so, and I will make a copy for him.

Also, about the hood scoop for that Firebird. The shape of the top looks similar to part of a plastic (press on) fingernail that you can pick up in a package in the make-up isle at Wal-Mart or similar store. Then you could just build up the bottom with styrene. I have a package of them that I've had for years to make custom air cleaners, scoops or headlight covers on customs. It may be quicker and cheaper than aftermarket.
I am looking for a Fujimi or similar 60's Beetle kit for trade, if anyone has one. 1/ 24 scale would be great, since I plan to use a Fujimi Porsche whale tail, engine and interior that I already have. I got my wheels today from Jairus. Thank you, Man!

Later-

#129 Fletch

Fletch

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

Fletch-

I sent you a PM on a fellow modeler from my local club who would like to get in on this, if any are left. You can send the info to me, if so, and I will make a copy for him.

Also, about the hood scoop for that Firebird. The shape of the top looks similar to part of a plastic (press on) fingernail that you can pick up in a package in the make-up isle at Wal-Mart or similar store. Then you could just build up the bottom with styrene. I have a package of them that I've had for years to make custom air cleaners, scoops or headlight covers on customs. It may be quicker and cheaper than aftermarket.
I am looking for a Fujimi or similar 60's Beetle kit for trade, if anyone has one. 1/ 24 scale would be great, since I plan to use a Fujimi Porsche whale tail, engine and interior that I already have. I got my wheels today from Jairus. Thank you, Man!

Later-

Tom, replied to your PM, the artwork should be in your inbox here on the forum.

Also, I have a Tamiya 60s VW if you're interested. Not in the original box but complete and unbuilt.

#130 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

OK. Here's mine...
Posted Image

Very cool. Amazingly I was intending to build something like this later this year (hood off, contrasting firewall, etc.) As Dave said in his PM to me, "right up my alley".

Jairus, any tips on this one? Is it sectioned as well as chopped or is that just a question of perspective (firewall says no, side trim towards the rear says maybe...)? Are the flame patterns based on anything? And the exhaust megaphones? Also, what did you intend under the hood? If nothing in particular then I'll put something BIG there! The hardest thing to source may be those two little rear view mirrors, of all things!

Time to get out the Sawzall!
B.

Edited by gbk1, 11 April 2010 - 02:34 AM.

#131 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:44 AM

You will Kill this one Bernard.....can't wait till you start cuttin.....the mirrors look to be stock 29 mirrors cut down a bit...

#132 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:47 AM

Bern,
No tips... other than that pic illustration remains unfinished. I liked the look and was under a deadline so.... At any rate, build it how you like. The Revell '40 standard kit's a great starting place... tho, I figure the venerable old AMT '40 is still applicable. Engine is whatever you can fit in with a passel of carbs. Seems Norm is going to be busy sending out those air scoops! (Replicas & Minatures of MD item # FH-40 $4.95)
Because it seems a number of my drawings in this challenge have them! :-)
J

#133 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kendall

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:48 AM

gbk1-

Looks like you also got a nice one to build. I think for those side mirrors you might try the side mirrors from a stock 34 Ford 5 window kit. They are small and look pretty close, IIRC.

Fletch-I sent you a PM.

Later-

#134 outlaw035

outlaw035

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Full Name:neal

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

hey bernard...scale repro's plus has real nice set of streetrod mirrors if they would be something u might consider using...part #SRP1501...neal

#135 iBorg

iBorg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

Sent Fletch a PM to add me in to the challenge. Sadly, I didn't include my e-mail but did follow up his PM. Now I'm like a kid at the candy store waiting to see what challenge awaits me. This is going to be fun.

Mike

#136 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

hey bernard...scale repro's plus has real nice set of streetrod mirrors if they would be something u might consider using...part #SRP1501...neal

Thanx Neal. Looks like they might have the right megaphones, too!

#137 Fletch

Fletch

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:36 PM

Sent Fletch a PM to add me in to the challenge. Sadly, I didn't include my e-mail but did follow up his PM. Now I'm like a kid at the candy store waiting to see what challenge awaits me. This is going to be fun.

Mike

Mike, check your email inbox, the intro letter and artwork are waiting for you.

Dave

#138 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

I am STOKED!!!!!!!!

Got my kit in today from Canada, Wheels and Tires from Champagne IL, HOK Tangelo Pearl from Coast airbrush....and Artwork from Jairius!!!

Questions for you Jarius.... on "The Bomb" did you drop a V8 in or just put duals on the six?
Did you Omit the gas cap rear fender or forget? and last but not least, where can I get a window mount cooler...or scratch it??

Big thanks Again..........OOOOHHHHHH THIS IS SOOOOOO FUN!!!!!!!!

#139 JT

JT

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Full Name:John

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

Mathias,
Good luck.

Posted Image

Mathias;
If you haven't found a '62 grille, I have a '62 falcon that I can clean up and try to produce a resin copy of. That's one of the resons I got the falcon so I could do a 62 Ranchero. Let me know and I will dig it out and see how close it is to Jairus' artwork?
JT

#140 JT

JT

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Full Name:John

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

Hey JT i think I have what you need. I was upset cause my camera died after this pic and I was going to get a close up. These match the style if you fill the center almost to a "T" The ironic part is these wheels were on this junker I bought in bulk and its the right car! Let me know if you want the wheels or if you found the correct ones. I'm always willing to help all the people in this build if I can Posted Image I'll get better pics tomorrow! Posted Image

Brian;
I may take you up on that, but let me take a look in my stash to see if I have anything close. I have a bunch in my parts box and they look very familar. I've been gone for a long weekend, so I haven't had a chance to hunt through my pile.

Edited by JT, 12 April 2010 - 05:33 PM.