Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Chris,

I think the Blue on the left most closely represents the color of the car I've seen in most pictures. I also think the darker of the two burst panels is the most realistic of the two panels.

You do amazing work sir. I can't wait to see how this all looks when it is finished.

Steve

Edited by sflam123

I dont think any of those colors are going to work. Chris in your very first picture of the real car from the front, you can see the metallic in the paint, where the fender comes over the rear deck close to the spoiler. The sun is just blazing there.The other side views make the paint look flatter and quite a bit lighter. Your darkest color to me looks best but does not have the Metallic brilliance shine. IMHO the boxart photo color blue, could be a better match in a metalic.

I had a leave it to Beaver moment today and Thunk about it some. Tamiya Mica blue over the dark base could work for the color you want.

Edited by my80malibu

Steve... Thank you... I was thinking one of the two blues on the left myself and I think the darker of the burst panel as well.

Gabriel....this has been such a hard choice on what to do with the color. I took my ipad in and was trying to match the color off the pictures. Each pictures looks different with the lighting. Some sorta look like its a metallic color and others it doesn't. I have heard from many that it was a solid color but at this point I am so dang confused if its supposed to be solid or metallic. I may try to give snake racing a call tomorrow to see if they can help me. The best would be to be able to get a paint code for the color. And when I did this spray sample, this was just the base coat over the spray out chart with no clear.

Mark... Thank you for the kind words. Your resin engines are the best in my opinion and loving how its coming together so far. I can't wait to have way more assembled and detail. I hope I can do it some justice ;)

LOL @ Michael...^^

Man, you too hey. :) It is a one of one build that's for sure. Anyone would gladly have it on display in their showcase. B)

Chris, it looks like your supervisor made a full recovery too mate, so pleased to see you include him in the action. :D

As for colour, I ain't gonna be a whole lotta help.....not having seen the real deal or good enough pics. :( But I know you will get it right. ;)

Sure Chris, that will shelp, what I have isn't working, "too big" won't fit thru hood blower cut out, lol, need a better idea or setup, other then.that mines doing ok, I have used a few of your setups, well, not as detailed, but.basic, I liked the red primer look on the oil tank you did, looked cool, was that flat red, or real primer?.

Henry...I have tried teaching him all i can :lol: . Thanks on the blue.

Mike... Thank you for the kind words on this build. Yeah That is an idea I could also do is have the color matched to the Revell Sticker. But I am going to get ahold of Don Prudhomme Racing and see if they would be willing to let me know if it was a solid or metallic as well if they happen to have the paint code for it.

Michael... Thank you. I have been waiting for quite some time to finish this one myself. I would like to have it done by Feburary but more realistically I wanted it done by April of next year.

Greg... Thanks for the kind words Mate! Yep my boy has recovered 100% from his surgery and all you can see now is a little scar where cut into his belly. The blue has been a tuff one but I am hoping that someone from Don Prudhomme racing will be able to help me figure the color mystery out... :lol: , since all of the pics I have the color looks different because of the lighting that it is in.

Alan... I will get some pics of them when I get some time to take them. You may need to open the cut out a little more for the blower area. The red that is on the oil cooler before I painted it was a Red Oxide Primer I believe it was Plastikote.

Well guys... I wanted to let you all know that I have sent Don Prudhomme Racing an email in hopes that they can verify the blue if it is a solid or Metallic as well as possibly letting me know what the paint code is. Hoping I will hear back from them

Edited by Mooneyzs

I may try to give snake racing a call tomorrow to see if they can help me. The best would be to be able to get a paint code for the color. And when I did this spray sample, this was just the base coat over the spray out chart with no clear.

Good luck with that. I remember meeting Don at Beeline dragway in Arizona. During the 70's He wasn"t a real nice guy back then.

Hello Fellas....

well I was out of town for Thanksgiving as to why you haven't seen much posted lately. Well I am still waiting but not holding my breath on a response from someone at Prudhomme Racing since I still haven't heard anything back if they could let me know about the blue color. Anyway I have mocked the engine up again and I want all of your opinions. I have put some of the bolts in the engine to see which would look better. Let me know what you think looks better ...the brass or nickle silver ones? I am trying to figure out which I like better and what has the better contrast with all of the parts.

Here are the bolts placed to see which looks better:

DP-Army-Vega4140-1_zps5df56a78.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4141-1_zps002f5af6.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4143-1_zpsd1ebdd92.jpg

Joe... Thanks buddy... I have to agree that I was leaning towards the brass as well. I went back and zoomed in on a few pics of the engine and looks like the bolts are a yellow zinc plated. I agree that the silver looks to blend in with e block. I know I will be mixing them up on other parts of the engine.

I dunno Chris. I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it's time to shelve this thing and start on a 1/32 SnapTite or sumthin' that has REAL potential...........

LOL. Sorry, sometimes I can't contain my silly side. I freaked when I saw the engine in the chassis. Makes it all worthwhile. Keep rockin' this ride man.

Righteous!!!!!!

John... Thanks buddy. Seeing it partly painted makes me want to hurry up and get the valve covers, blower and injector hat painted with Alclad.

Joe.... Haha you cracked me up with the snap tite kit. I sure hope this has some potential when done ;)

Gabriel.... I agree the brass looks great with the aluminum and I will be using those. Sorry I brain farted with your earlier post about the color. I will have to pick up a can of that blue from tamiya and test it over this b,use to see what it looks like. I still haven't hear anything on theming color from Snake Racing. I have another thing I am gonna try to see if I can find out. Hopefully posting on their Facebook page maybe someone browsing it will know. Worth a shot anyway.

Larry... Thank you Sir. You know with you saying it will pass inspection makes me realize I need to put a chassis cert decal in the chassis....lol

Brad... Thanks buddy. I appreciate the kind words. I know you love seeing engine detail and I can't wait to have more of it done to share with ya.

Mark... Thank you

Alan... I had that same look when I first set the engine in to get an idea of what it looked like. Makes me realize that I need to get the rest of the parts done so I can get the engine installed