Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Looking super. Love the back window detail, its going to be killer Chris,

I'm still plugging away on the green elephant also. Got side tracked had too build a 60's, hippy van for a friend, also took up a abanoded 1 16 scale dragster I came into, needed motor rebuild and all, lol. Take care, build on..

Jim.... Thank you.

John... Thank Brother. I am hoping to get some more work done the next a few days B).

Mike.... Thanks buddy.

Dave.... Thank you. I would love to make it back to one of those shows to meet all of you. You are right that Dave is always willing to help out with info when asked.

Alan...thank you. I still need to make the panel for the back window with the cut outs in it. That is awesome you are tinkering on a 1/16th scale dragster too.

Brad... Thanks man...yes it was a big surprise with those pulleys. He does some killer work, even more impressive in person.

Danno... Thank you... Yeah I am still in Wow mode myself on them.

Henry... Thank you.

chris, thanks a ton. a builder like you only comes along every so often so, i'm glad i could help. i know, i was taking a chance by just doing them for you. i'm just glad the pulleys were up to your standards. you set the bar pretty high. i also hope the pulley prints will help in the future. if there's anything i can help you with, give me a shout. that's what friends are for.

Dave... You are welcome. I really appreciate the kind words. You knocked the pulleys out of the park and blew me away by them. The prints will definitely help for future projects too. You know I will be having more Silly questions to ask along the way..... Especially on the Top Alcohol Dragster that I will be hopefully starting soon after this project ;).

Mike... Dave is definitely a top notch guy.

Jason.... Thank you. The army Vega has to be one of my favorite Vegas....even though it was only run at 2 races I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All... well I was finally able to get a little bit of bench time in last night and finally have some time to post the pics tonight. Started working on cutting the escape hatch out. Here are a few progress pics....

Here is the start of cutting the escape hatch out. I started by laying a few layers of 1/4 tape to use as a guide to cut along. I also went around the border with a sharpe so I could see what I have cut:

DP-Army-Vega4255-1_zpsa5068b0a.jpg

I am using the technique of scribing with the back side of an Xacto knife where I broke the very tip off. I typically like to use my Bare Metal Foil scriber but thought that the Xacto black would cut a little smaller gap:

DP-Army-Vega4256-1_zps5e848cca.jpg

Another Scribing pic of the other side:

DP-Army-Vega4259-1_zps5e9ee0a0.jpg

Here the scribing is pretty much complete other than having to work the corners a little more for the hatch to come out:

DP-Army-Vega4269-1_zps8e482305.jpg

The scribing is complete and the opening is ready for the lip to be installed:

DP-Army-Vega4271-1_zps38a42bd4.jpg

Here is the hatch and brass hinges that I got from Micro Marks which I will be modifying (will be shortening them) and then they will be soldered together to create a piano hinge for the escape hatch:

DP-Army-Vega4275-1_zpscced6e20.jpg

Thanks Chris, man, your the only guy I know that can cut a square hole in the top of a model F/C and make it look like it was engineered by a team from Ford motor Co, lol, yea, I'm plugging along at the K-C rail. Had a few probe with the front axel assy. Missing parts, an broken. Came that way. Mocked it up. Set it. Then the top an bottom control rods are all 4 short, lol atleast I'm consistent, build on friend,

Dave.... Thank you my friend. I can't wait to have the hinge together, hopefully I will have it done tomorrow. I took my time when I was scribing in hope I wouldn't mess cutting the hatch out....lol

Brad... I will make sure and take some good step by step pics of the hinge assembly. I will be trimming all of the pieces and soldering them together. If all goes well it should work out pretty good I am hoping lol.

Mike... Thanks. I am happy with how the hatch is going. I will post some more reference pics of the hatch to show what I am trying to duplicate.

Henry... Thank you.

Alan... Thank you. I am sure the engineers at Ford Motor Co. Could do this much better than me...lol glad to hear you are making some progress on your FED. What you could do on those radius rods is cut the ends off the kit and use aluminum tubing for the rods.

Greg... Thanks Mate. Hope I can come thru on the hinge for everyone ;)

Scott... Thanks brother. You are right Dave's work is stellar. I took my time cutting the hatch out so I wouldn't screw it up lol. I will have to take a pic of the hinges next to a ruler or coin so everyone can get an idea on the actual size. I actually can't wait to work on the hinges. I have some hopes it will work pretty well.

Tony... Thank you. As far a glues, it all depends on what I am gluing together. For the chassis and bare plastic I mostly use Weld-on #3 which is something similar to tennax or pro-ambroid. Yars ago it used to be bottles in 4oz sizes for the model industry. They stopped bottling it and they still sell it at plastic shops and I get them in pint and quart sizes. The last time I bought some was a few years ago and I picked up 2 quarts for around $30 bucks due to a min order. It ends up costing a lot cheaper buying it in the big bulks sizes I do. I also will use CA glue at times on the bare plastic too. Everyone has certain glues that they like to use and different glues work better for others. I would say find some thing that works best for you. I have tried many different ones and stick with what works best for me but I am not afraid to try something new. If you need a pic of the glue let me know and I will post some.

Hello All...

Thought I would share a few pics that I did screen shots from the Army Vega video off of you tube. These are shots of just the Escape Hatch and I will be going back and trying to do the same on other parts of the video to help me with some other details....

Hatch Closed:

EscapeHatch-6copy_zps622e099d.jpg

Hatch Open:

EscapeHatch-4copy_zps3751f3f2.jpg

EscapeHatch-3copy_zpsc8e93fc9.jpg

Hatch Latch detail:

EscapeHatch-5copy_zpsde1faa31.jpg

Still silently(mostly) following along on this one Chris. There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about this. It's really awesome watching it come together. I will add that I think it's wonderful to see the comraderie and friendship that goes on here on these forums. THAT, is what makes this hobby great. Well, that and all these killer builds! Keep it going man! I'll be watching for sure!